2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Bronze

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Post by 1212 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Geneva wrote:
1212 wrote:
MyLegendLives wrote:
Aqua wrote:so bummed. just got dinged at penn.
my cycle so far3.8/165/AA female:
IN-Berkeley, Mich, GULC, UCLA (and several not T20 schools)
WL-Texas
Held-Columbia, Harvard
OUT-Penn
Anyone know why the hold at Harvard/Columbia but not even a waitlist offer at Penn? DO NOT UNDERSTAND:(

Not necessarily awful news. Penn is VERY protective of their yield. I know a Black female with a stellar application that was accepted at both Harvard and Stanford early this cycle and straight up DINGED at Penn. Penn has to believe that there's a chance you'll actually attend if accepted. So I'm betting you didn't write an optional essay, or they believe you'll attend a higher ranked school.

Yup. Almost same situation here. In at Stanford, Chi, Columbia, NYU, etc and WL'ed at Penn.
URM cycles are so hard to predict. Do not understand how you got WL at Mich unless it's also YP? So crazy how rankings driven this whole process is
Idk why I got WL'ed at Penn/Mich. I think with Penn it was YP bc a ton of well qualified TLSers like Aqua got WLed or dinged. Not sure about Mich. I'm going to tell myself it was YP though. :)

and who knows, I might even extend that explanation to Harvard too if (read: when) I end up WL'ed or dinged there. :D What? It could happen....

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:26 pm

^
I was WL'd at Penn and accepted at Michigan. I didn't write a "Why Penn" and have since withdrawn that application, but I'm not sure if that would have helped or not. Decisions are weird things, but sometimes I think it does come down to YP and the likelihood of someone attending the school.

In my case: I grew up and went to undergrad in the Midwest and border both Michigan and Pennsylvania. So unlike someone from a big city, the West Coast, etc, *I wouldn't be perceive as an applicant who would be tentative about being stuck in a relatively small Midwestern town (A2) or likely to pick the big cities like NYC/Chicago over Philly.

*opinion. #notintendedtobeafactualstatement

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:09 pm

I did quite well this cycle and now I wish I had applied to more good schools (BC/BU/Fordham/UT/UCLA/USC).

3.0/167 Mexican

Accepted with a nice scholly to Minnesota. (attending)

also:
Accepted to Houston
Accepted to Texas Tech
Accepted to Miami

WL at William & Mary

No word from SMU, Colorado, Penn st, or Alabama

Dani.B

Bronze

Post by Dani.B » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Have any anbryce finalists heard anything since the first email telling us to make arrangements with sta travel?

as far as what hotel we will be staying at, they also said they would email me names of the panelists etc.

MyLegendLives

New

Post by MyLegendLives » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Dani.B wrote:Have any anbryce finalists heard anything since the first email telling us to make arrangements with sta travel?

as far as what hotel we will be staying at, they also said they would email me names of the panelists etc.

The hotel is in the attachment to the original email

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Dani.B wrote:Have any anbryce finalists heard anything since the first email telling us to make arrangements with sta travel?

Just heard back regarding info on my interviewers and stuff for RTK via email on Thursday. I'm sure they'll send something similar to y'all. Are Anbrycers interviewing Saturday too?

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:06 pm

cylon_clone wrote:^
I was WL'd at Penn and accepted at Michigan. I didn't write a "Why Penn" and have since withdrawn that application, but I'm not sure if that would have helped or not. Decisions are weird things, but sometimes I think it does come down to YP and the likelihood of someone attending the school.

In my case: I grew up and went to undergrad in the Midwest and border both Michigan and Pennsylvania. So unlike someone from a big city, the West Coast, etc, *I wouldn't be perceive as an applicant who would be tentative about being stuck in a relatively small Midwestern town (A2) or likely to pick the big cities like NYC/Chicago over Philly.

That makes a ton of sense. I'm from south Texas, have no ties whatsoever to the Midwest or east coast (apart from working in DC for about 3 months), and on top of that my PS was all about living in Africa and such. So what you are predicting seems pretty on target.

:) will you be in Ann Arbor then?

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:33 pm

I had a good cycle.

Decided on attending Cornell with a 75k scholly :)

Dani.B

Bronze

Post by Dani.B » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:49 pm

1212 wrote:

Just heard back regarding info on my interviewers and stuff for RTK via email on Thursday. I'm sure they'll send something similar to y'all. Are Anbrycers interviewing Saturday too?
We interview on thursday

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:49 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:I had a good cycle.

Decided on attending Cornell with a 75k scholly :)
Congrats!!!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:11 am

Congrats to everyone for some awesome cycles! Any more URM love from Stanford? I wonder if URM decisions will come even later than the wave of regular decisions expected this week. Super tempted to update my file with a recent resume (bc I forgot to attach it with the LOCI I sent last Monday), but afraid it will only make me look worse at this point. Thoughts?

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:42 am

Geneva wrote:Congrats to everyone for some awesome cycles! Any more URM love from Stanford? I wonder if URM decisions will come even later than the wave of regular decisions expected this week. Super tempted to update my file with a recent resume (bc I forgot to attach it with the LOCI I sent last Monday), but afraid it will only make me look worse at this point. Thoughts?
How different is it from the one you submitted with you original application?

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:41 pm

1212 wrote:

That makes a ton of sense. I'm from south Texas, have no ties whatsoever to the Midwest or east coast (apart from working in DC for about 3 months), and on top of that my PS was all about living in Africa and such. So what you are predicting seems pretty on target.

I'll be in A2 this weekend for ASW. Would love to go there but unless they come close to matching my other scholarship offers, I won't be attending.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:58 pm

cylon_clone wrote:
1212 wrote:

I'll be in A2 this weekend for ASW. Would love to go there but unless they come close to matching my other scholarship offers, I won't be attending.
Just looked at your profile and the schools you got into. They will def match. You should be fine.

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Cycle Update:

IN: GW, Tulane, Brooklyn, Wake, UNC, American, Pepperdine, Villanova, St. Johns, Southwestern, Howard

OUT:Berkely, NYU, UCLA

WL: GTown, UVA, Emory

Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Penn, Duke, USC

lilmissallyful

New

Post by lilmissallyful » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:15 pm

I had a pretty good cycle! Just wish I would've sent out more applications to a wider variety of schools.

3.29/165 Mexican

Accepted to:
UC Hastings
Univ. of San Francisco (with $$)
Univ. of Texas (with $$)
Univ. of Houston (matched UT scholarship)
and STCL.

I'm visiting Texas and Houston in the next week and then making my decision from there :)

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:48 pm

lilmissallyful wrote:I had a pretty good cycle! Just wish I would've sent out more applications to a wider variety of schools.

3.29/165 Mexican

Accepted to:
UC Hastings
Univ. of San Francisco (with $$)
Univ. of Texas (with $$)
Univ. of Houston (matched UT scholarship)
and STCL.

I'm visiting Texas and Houston in the next week and then making my decision from there :)
Congrats!

Go to Texas!

callmepuck

New

Post by callmepuck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 pm

This thread is super weak compared to last years. #weaksauce. If anyone is out there sitting on their acceptances share the news so we can be merry together and potentially pop some bottles if fate allows it. Well I guess I shall start by checking in.

Accepted
Columbia
NYU
UVA
Michigone (:-()
Georgetown
U Texas
Vanderbilt
GW
some others...

Withdrew and enrolled at CLS before could here from a couple

Pretty happy with my cycle hope more people would share so we can take this page count up from little old 31

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Accepted to and considered- American, Fordham, Cardozo, Georgetown, Richmond
Accepted to- CUNY, Pace, Hofstra, Rutgers-C, Penn State,
WL- Vandy, Wash U.
Rejected- GW, Penn
Accepted to and attending Temple

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Just sharing.

Accepted at:
GULC $$ (attending[?])
GW $$
WUSTL $$
IU-Bloomington $$
W&M $$
Fordham $$
Cardozo $$

Held at:
Harvard >_>

Rejected from:
Berkeley
Michigan
(no softs lol)

WL:
UChi
UPenn
UVA

Pending:
CLS
NYU
Cornell (late, panic-stricken submission)

Just deposited at GULC today even though CLS, NYU (and HLS of course) were my first three choices (in that order). Couldn't risk giving up that pleasant scholarship just for a relatively-unfounded desire to go to law school in NY :\ ah well. Who knows though, now that I've sent them my deposit, I'm sure I'll get into all three next week :P

callmepuck

New

Post by callmepuck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:50 pm

loblaw016 wrote:Accepted to and considered- American, Fordham, Cardozo, Georgetown, Richmond
WL- Vandy, Wash U.
Rejected- GW, Penn

If you don't mind me asking. Why temple over Georgetown?

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:00 am

callmepuck wrote:
loblaw016 wrote:Accepted to and considered- American, Fordham, Cardozo, Georgetown, Richmond
WL- Vandy, Wash U.
Rejected- GW, Penn

If you don't mind me asking. Why temple over Georgetown?
It mainly came down to money for me, didn't get any from Georgetown and it's so expensive to live in that area

JF215

New

Post by JF215 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:46 am

didn't submit any apps until january, am very pleased w/ how everything turned out.

in:
michigan
stanford
nyu
columbia
georgetown
howard
temple
berkeley
duke

wl:
chicago (w/d)
UVA (w/d)

outstanding:
penn
hls

congrats all.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Checking in again cycle is looking like its complete!

In
Pitt Full ride
Vandy 60k
Cornell 75k
W & M
Ohio State

Waitlist
Michigan
Penn
Virginia

Out
NYU
Chicago

Looks like Cornell it is anyone else attending please pm!! :D

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:45 am

Last year's URM thread was more poppin'

Anyone throw an app at Yale? I know a lot of URMs don't apply... But I was wonderin'

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”