Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby dkt4 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:22 pm

shoeshine wrote:It matters at Berkeley and UCLA. They aren't technically allowed to consider race under prop 209 so they concentrate on admitting URMs who are economically disadvantaged. They have long sections on their applications about your financial history and many of their scholarships are based off that information.

I suspect that it helps more to be both disadvantaged and a minority but I know they factor it in for sure.


i know the UG isn't allowed to do that, but it seems like Boalt at least has a lot of leeway with that...I don't know if they're technically not allowed to look at race, but they effectively do anyway.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:24 pm

dkt4 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:It matters at Berkeley and UCLA. They aren't technically allowed to consider race under prop 209 so they concentrate on admitting URMs who are economically disadvantaged. They have long sections on their applications about your financial history and many of their scholarships are based off that information.

I suspect that it helps more to be both disadvantaged and a minority but I know they factor it in for sure.


i know the UG isn't allowed to do that, but it seems like Boalt at least has a lot of leeway with that...I don't know if they're technically not allowed to look at race, but they effectively do anyway.

Do you have proof of this? When completing the application for Berkeley, the boxes one checks are actually whited out in the PDF version the school is sent/the applicant can download. I think they have it built into their application submission form to keep this information from the admissions folks.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby dr123 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:26 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
dkt4 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:It matters at Berkeley and UCLA. They aren't technically allowed to consider race under prop 209 so they concentrate on admitting URMs who are economically disadvantaged. They have long sections on their applications about your financial history and many of their scholarships are based off that information.

I suspect that it helps more to be both disadvantaged and a minority but I know they factor it in for sure.


i know the UG isn't allowed to do that, but it seems like Boalt at least has a lot of leeway with that...I don't know if they're technically not allowed to look at race, but they effectively do anyway.

Do you have proof of this? When completing the application for Berkeley, the boxes one checks are actually whited out in the PDF version the school is sent/the applicant can download. I think they have it built into their application submission form to keep this information from the admissions folks.


Im sure its pretty easy to determine someone's race from a diversity statement.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4854
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby Borhas » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:27 pm

cinephile wrote:Why not? I thought the DS was quite broad in what they considered diversity.


it's not

DS is a way for urms to express their identification, experiences etc so that schools can say they made their decision on something other than purely urm status, in reality, it's more like a "box you check" than anything more than that.

They don't care, it's a numbers game like everything else, and SES is not a number anyone cares about in LS admission

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:30 pm

dr123 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
dkt4 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:It matters at Berkeley and UCLA. They aren't technically allowed to consider race under prop 209 so they concentrate on admitting URMs who are economically disadvantaged. They have long sections on their applications about your financial history and many of their scholarships are based off that information.

I suspect that it helps more to be both disadvantaged and a minority but I know they factor it in for sure.


i know the UG isn't allowed to do that, but it seems like Boalt at least has a lot of leeway with that...I don't know if they're technically not allowed to look at race, but they effectively do anyway.

Do you have proof of this? When completing the application for Berkeley, the boxes one checks are actually whited out in the PDF version the school is sent/the applicant can download. I think they have it built into their application submission form to keep this information from the admissions folks.


Im sure its pretty easy to determine someone's race from a diversity statement.

I must have had an RC fail. I thought he was implying that they used the "box checking" to identify URMs. If we're talking about DSs, then I understand.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby dkt4 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:33 pm

wasn't referring to anything specific. i don't remember what the app looked like exactly but even without a DS berkeley knew my race.

unless they just randomly have LSAD hit people up, which seems unlikely.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby dkt4 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:37 pm

also, i really feel like TLS in general is overly encouraging for people to write addendums. there is really no need for a DS, "Why X", or any other sort of addendum in the vast majority if cases.

even if your PS isn't specifically on your socioeconomic status, if you can't find a way to weave it in somehow...an extra essay is probably not your biggest issue.

more documents =/= better applications. in some cases its appropriate, most of the time...what's the point?

edit: more opinion than fact, but whatever :P

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 pm

dkt4 wrote:also, i really feel like TLS in general is overly encouraging for people to write addendums. there is really no need for a DS, "Why X", or any other sort of addendum in the vast majority if cases.

Uh, really? 9 threads out of 10 that ask whether or not they should write an addendum get a flat-out no from most TLSers.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 pm

It doesn't help at alllllll. Schools don't care.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby shoeshine » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:It doesn't help at alllllll. Schools don't care.

Read the thread. This guy primarily cares about UC schools. They do care. At least a little bit.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby dkt4 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:44 pm

Dany wrote:
dkt4 wrote:also, i really feel like TLS in general is overly encouraging for people to write addendums. there is really no need for a DS, "Why X", or any other sort of addendum in the vast majority if cases.

Uh, really? 9 threads out of 10 that ask whether or not they should write an addendum get a flat-out no from most TLSers.


really.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Does socioeconomic disadvantage count as URM?

Postby buckilaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:49 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Errzii wrote:I don't know about Berkeley, but UCLA does have a section on the primary app specifically for this (13h)

"Please describe the socio-economic disadvantages you have overcome (may be attached electronically):"

Berkeley has a separate sheet with a bunch of questions about socio-economic status. This sheet, as well as the optional diversity statement, help the school to understand where applicants are coming from, so to speak. Also, to my understanding, when making admissions decisions, Berkeley does not see which race/ethnicity box(es) each applicant has checked.


Boalt does indeed ask alot of questions about socio-economic status such as: how much money your parents make, their education levels, and the zip code of your high school. I don't think they would ask for this stuff if they didn't consider it. Though how much weight they give it is questionable.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest