Should I write a DS? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nmare

New

Should I write a DS?

Post by nmare » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:10 am

I am a half white/half MA from New Mexico and I am hoping to go to t14, but feel that I don't have a lot to write in a DS. I never faced any sort of discrimination due to, well, me living in New Mexico in which Hispanics are not a minority within the state. The majority of my childhood - until about 15 years old - I grew up in a lower-middle class environment. My dad is white and my mother MA (however, she was born in US). Any help/advice regarding whether or not I should write a DS, and if so, what about? Obviously I would know my own background a lot better than any of you, but I gave you all the gist of it. Thanks in advance.

dkt4

Bronze

Re: Should I write a DS?

Post by dkt4 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:09 pm

i would say no need to write a DS...it's certainly not a necessary part of an application. just check the appropriate boxes.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:54 pm

nmare wrote:I am a half white/half MA from New Mexico and I am hoping to go to t14, but feel that I don't have a lot to write in a DS. I never faced any sort of discrimination due to, well, me living in New Mexico in which Hispanics are not a minority within the state. The majority of my childhood - until about 15 years old - I grew up in a lower-middle class environment. My dad is white and my mother MA (however, she was born in US). Any help/advice regarding whether or not I should write a DS, and if so, what about? Obviously I would know my own background a lot better than any of you, but I gave you all the gist of it. Thanks in advance.
I don't think people write DS strictly because they've faced discrimination. If you feel that you would bring something unique to a class then discuss it.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:43 pm

nmare wrote:I am a half white/half MA from New Mexico and I am hoping to go to t14, but feel that I don't have a lot to write in a DS. I never faced any sort of discrimination due to, well, me living in New Mexico in which Hispanics are not a minority within the state. The majority of my childhood - until about 15 years old - I grew up in a lower-middle class environment. My dad is white and my mother MA (however, she was born in US). Any help/advice regarding whether or not I should write a DS, and if so, what about? Obviously I would know my own background a lot better than any of you, but I gave you all the gist of it. Thanks in advance.

Talk about the dynamic of not really being Mexican, but at the same time not being white and the cultural dynamic of trying to synthesize two distinct worlds.

I mean, there might be something in that?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”