Not Black enough for DS? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rgndvo

Bronze

Not Black enough for DS?

Post by rgndvo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Edited in order to protect my identity from adcoms.

The main thrust: I am 1/4 AA and concluded that checking only AA would be a bit of a stretch; I will be checking both white and AA, as well as writing a DS to indicate the specifics of my heritage.
Last edited by rgndvo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Re: Not Black enough for DS?

Post by cinephile » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:56 pm

You could check black and other.

rgndvo

Bronze

Post by rgndvo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:59 pm

The main thrust: I am 1/4 AA and concluded that checking only AA would be a bit of a stretch; I will be checking both white and AA, as well as writing a DS to indicate the specifics of my heritage.
Last edited by rgndvo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:11 pm

This has been discussed elsewhere, but from my understanding, no, it does not reduce the boost to mark down that you are multi-racial.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:43 pm

A 1/4 AA applicant will get the same boost as a full AA applicant. The boost doesn't get reduced in proportion to how black you are.

Be honest about who you are, write a compelling DS, and profit.

I wish you the best next cycle.

rgndvo

Bronze

Post by rgndvo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:18 pm

I am 167 (retaking in Oct, and paying for a prep course now) 3.58, given that I boosted my GPA a bit from summer classes :P. I hope you guys are right. I think I will check both AA and "other", and write in Arab in the box. I don't believe that I will receive a reduced bump, but so be it if I do.

I am proud of my heritage, and would feel much better arriving at school (and, e.g., meeting with members of the BLSA) knowing I described myself as I am. Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by rgndvo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:10 pm

There's no different boost based on how black you are.

Good luck, sounds like an interesting story.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:10 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:A 1/4 AA applicant will get the same boost as a full AA applicant. The boost doesn't get reduced in proportion to how black you are.

Be honest about who you are, write a compelling DS, and profit.
+1.

Susan_Walid

Bronze

Post by Susan_Walid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:45 pm

How are you guys verifying this information? Have you spoken to anyone from admissions at a particular school? 1/4 black and you can just check black?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Banned for race-baiting/trolling. As a reminder, no AA debates in the on-topic forums.

People who want to respond to this should do so here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=146657

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Mixed people get the boost, too. The diaspora is diverse, adcomms recognize that. Nobody is going to be at the BLSA meetings with a paper bag.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Sounds like you have a potential for a good DS there.I sincerely doubt that you will get as much of a boost as someone who is "fully" black. Yes I understand the ambiguity of the term, but I am referring to someone with two "black" parents - your typical AA applicant. But then again, I am just speculating. While, technically my position leads to the answer that, yes, it will lower your boost, I would still disclose this information in your DS because it is honest and it sounds really interesting. Both of those things will help you in your application process. How are your numbers? Do you need a boost? I would apply thinking that you aren't even getting one and that way, if you do, you will be pleasantly surprised. That's about all you can do.

This is just my opinion, if others would like to chime in feel free.
Best of luck OP!

FTFM.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:Mixed people get the boost, too. The diaspora is diverse, adcomms recognize that. Nobody is going to be at the BLSA meetings with a paper bag.
this, basically.

there's a long history of color-based discrimination in the US, historically in favor of lighter folks, so to say that it doesn't happen at all is a bit imprecise. however it's generally seen as a bad thing, and no adcom is going to step into that quagmire intentionally.

plus the whole 'one-drop rule' is pretty well established, even if it's no longer used in any official capacity.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:59 am

Quit trying to get a boost to get a boost. Black Americans have experienced a lot of b.s. and if you have to question what you should check, then maybe you have no business checking it. The point of a diversity statement is not for the admissions committee to accept you because you are a specific race, it is because your background and experience will add to the overall class.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:40 pm

sparty99 wrote:Quit trying to get a boost to get a boost. Black Americans have experienced a lot of b.s. and if you have to question what you should check, then maybe you have no business checking it. The point of a diversity statement is not for the admissions committee to accept you because you are a specific race, it is because your background and experience will add to the overall class.
While I agree with your last sentence, I think you're misunderstanding OP's position. With your about OP having "no business" identifying as AA, it sounds like you think OP is uncertain about whether they are AA or not. It looks like the opposite is true, they clearly identify with being AA:
rgndvo wrote:I am planning on only checking AA because I don't identify with any of the other races at all
OP, disclosing your heritage shouldn't hurt anything and may actually help you, especially if your family's history has had such an effect on you. Diversity statements are for showing how you'll add diversity to the school, and telling them this story sounds like it will do just that.

rgndvo

Bronze

Post by rgndvo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:07 am

Last edited by rgndvo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:18 am

Please tell me that you are NOT one of those black people who has been "passing" (i.e., for another ethnicity), and not claiming black, but now sees an opportunity to use it to your advantage. I HATE that type of person and would be thoroughly disgusted.

Since you have obviously never confronted the issue before, your post tells me that you have been passing, or at least allowing the ignorance/naiivate of white Americans to dictate perceptions about you, namely that you look Persian or Greek and therefore must be...

The other clue is that you seem to be justifying passing by mentioning the alleged stigma attached to your mother. Fleeing to America and seeing the treatment black Americans receive here would not exactly make a person in your position want to fess up...UNLESS HE SAW AN OPPORTUNITY TO GET MONEY AND GAIN ADMISSION TO LAW SCHOOLS HE FEARED HE MIGHT NOT OTHERWISE GET INTO.

Most people have no idea that Egyptians are BLACK, despite conventional belief to the contrary. And I understand why. it's for the same reason certain Asians cannot claim URM status...they have too much money and have been more enfranchised than other people of color.

You could have rightfully claimed to be a black person all along had you wanted to. For all I know, you have talked about blacks like we are dogs until now. I really hope I am wrong, and if I am, do share. But I'll warn you now that I am extremely hard to convince. Like I said, if you are doing what I think you are doing, it's disgusting...and you don't deserve the HONOR of marking black on an application.
Last edited by PDaddy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

rgndvo

Bronze

Post by rgndvo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:21 am

I suspect this is satire. But if not:

Modern Egyptians are not, for the most part, Aboriginal Africans. My half-brother is an Arab Egyptian, applying to Law School, and certainly isn't going to check black. If they were, I'd be half (rather than 1/4) AA, and this wouldn't even be an issue.
Last edited by rgndvo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:21 am

:roll:

Not surprised by how some people come by and shit up a thread.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:24 am

rgndvo wrote:I suspect this is satire. But if not:

Egyptians are not, for the most part, black. If they were, I'd be half black, and this wouldn't even be an issue. You are very confused my friend.
Learn your geneology and history, my friend...Egyptians are black. They have never wanted to accept it, but they are. Look at a picture of King Tut, and you will figure it out. Just because the U.S. government doesn't define them as being black and they would prefer to be considered white does not mean they are white.

And some people have no business talking about black American issues if they have neither lived as black Americans nor learned their full American history, let alone confronted up close and personally any of the f*ing injustices we still experience every day.
Last edited by PDaddy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

rgndvo

Bronze

Post by rgndvo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:27 am

I understand your anger, though given the hysterical tone, I would attribute it more to jealousy than anything.
Last edited by rgndvo on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:33 am

rgndvo wrote:I understand your anger, though given the hysterical tone, I would attribute it more to jealousy than anything.

It probably is somewhat unfair. People who look more black are accorded a much worse treatment in this country. I look more like a mutt than anything. But the opportunity is presented to me, and by fully disclosing, I am in no way comporting myself dishonestly. Blame the law schools if they give me a boost. Don't blame me for acting in my self-interest.
You sound nuts. What "jealousy" would you be talking about. I am the privileged one if anything because I know who I am and embrace it fully. I am a beautiful black male who happens to be part Chinese (1/8 on my mother's side) and Indian (1/4 on father's side), but who knows fully that it really makes no difference in America. I am a black man, and that is how I will be perceived, treated and valued. I also know that Black Americans have much to be proud of, helping build this country for starters. That's a gift. and I, unlike many other blacks, would NOT want to be anything else.

There is nothing to be "jealous" of.

Here's an example of the garbage we deal with. Take a look at the posts under the article. I realize that ESPN was trying to have an intelligent discourse about disparate (racial) treatment, but it went awry because it gave white posters a forum to bash Michael Vick and make racist comments. We have to look at that garbage every day. FWIW, Yes...Michael Vick would not have been treated as harshly or still be derrided if he were white. No way. That's the question to which ESPN wanted an answer.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ ... ck/6358480
Last edited by PDaddy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:36 am

I have a bit of a random question on the topic: is there a background check/confirmation method employed by schools to determine the accuracy of the race/ethnicity that is marked on one's application? This seems like it would be beneficial for schools so I'm guessing they have it. This could help reduce some problems that applicants have as well.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”