New Info. about Pacific Islander as URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
aalquiso

New Info. about Pacific Islander as URM?

Postby aalquiso » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:40 pm

I know this has been discussed before and I'm not asking the TLS consensus because it has been a resounding no, but while I was browsing UCLA's Anderson MBA program, I stumbled across this.

http://uclamba.askadmissions.net/emtint ... p=prospect

If you notice at the bottom, it allows you to select "optional diversity information" and lists U.S. under-represented minorities as "African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American AND Pacific Islander"

Now i'm not claiming that everyone is wrong and that Pacific Islander does in fact count as URM but just want to know what everybody thinks of this. Do you think it only applies to UCLA business school and doesn't translate into law schools? Maybe it is a general description and should be taken with a grain of salt? I'd just like to know what people think because this directly applies to me because I'm Pacific Islander.

bk1

Re: New Info. about Pacific Islander as URM?

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:51 pm

I would hazard that the law school URM groups (AA/NA/MX/PR) are not the only ones that are technically underrepresented ones in the legal field (e.g. I bet there are some other Hispanic designations that are underrepresented) but I don't see them changing admissions in the near future.

Postby 20121109 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:55 pm

URM status is usually considered profession-specific. Maybe PIs are considered under-represented in the business field but not the legal field...?

Does anyone have any info URM stats in the legal field compared to the business field?

rgndvo

Postby rgndvo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:53 pm

That grotesquely underrepresented "other Hispanics" such as Colombians get no boost is simply ridiculous and unfair. Same goes for Pacific Islanders. If we have an AA system (and I'm not seeking to debate the merits of that here), there should be no "favored URMS." URM=boost, irrespective of race.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:30 pm

rgndvo wrote:That grotesquely underrepresented "other Hispanics" such as Colombians get no boost is simply ridiculous and unfair. Same goes for Pacific Islanders. If we have an AA system (and I'm not seeking to debate the merits of that here), there should be no "favored URMS." URM=boost, irrespective of race.

Would you like to provide data that backs up your claim that Colombians and Pacific Islanders are underrepresented in relation to their percentage of the general population?

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Also, WTF?

aalquiso

Postby aalquiso » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:46 pm

I'd also be interested if anyone can provide some statistical data of urm's in the legal and business fields. I also doubt they will change the admissions process but since the urm boost is somewhat enshrouded with a sense of mystery, perhaps they do give weight to other urm's besides the standard AA, NA, MX, and PR? This is all conjecture of course. In all sad actuality, pacific islanders probably get no boost in the admissions process but it is interesting to try and get the facts straight.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
rgndvo wrote:That grotesquely underrepresented "other Hispanics" such as Colombians get no boost is simply ridiculous and unfair. Same goes for Pacific Islanders. If we have an AA system (and I'm not seeking to debate the merits of that here), there should be no "favored URMS." URM=boost, irrespective of race.

Would you like to provide data that backs up your claim that Colombians and Pacific Islanders are underrepresented in relation to their percentage of the general population?

I'm curious about this too. What makes Colombians under-represented? If they're not, they're not URM, just ... M.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:51 pm

i always understood these sort of boosts in higher education as a sort of reparative tool. the idea behind affirmative action is partly influenced by the desire to correct some of the historic wrongs of the US government against Americans of color and to alleviate some of the problems associated with institutional racism (whether one accepts that as a thing or otherwise). these benefits - benefits used loosely - have always been limited to Native Americans, Black Americans, Mexican Americans, and more recently Puerto Ricans.

one can debate the merits of that aspect of URM boosts, and i'm not trying to do that, but as far as I know there has never been any meaningful intention to correct all types of under-representation in higher education.

also, i've never heard of colombians being under-represented...though I have seen studies suggesting that happens to pacific islanders.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”