What can be used and what can't? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
IamJosh

New

What can be used and what can't?

Post by IamJosh » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:40 am

I do qualify for URM (PR) but I've lived a sort of strange life, and I'm not sure what would give me boosts (if anything) and what would just be read as "blah blah blah..."

I have spent most of my life below the poverty line and had to move something like 3 or 4 times because of finances. Despite this, my parents chose to home school me. My dad was convicted of a crime in my teen years, was sentenced to several years and my mom was keeping as afloat financially. So I essentially taught myself. I became clinically depressed and discontinued school (I didn't exactly "drop out" because I wasn't enrolled anywhere and was older than 17.) I then went to work full time before turning 18. Around that time my mom got fired and I was the sole supporter of my family at the time of my 18th birthday. I finally completed school (teaching myself), got into a top 20 UG, and here I am today.

Not looking for sympathy or whatever... but how much of this is "blah blah blah"? You won't hurt my feelings by telling me none of it matters to law schools.

Gold

Re: What can be used and what can't?

Post by 20121109 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:42 am

IamJosh wrote:I do qualify for URM (PR) but I've lived a sort of strange life, and I'm not sure what would give me boosts (if anything) and what would just be read as "blah blah blah..."

I have spent most of my life below the poverty line and had to move something like 3 or 4 times because of finances. Despite this, my parents chose to home school me. My dad was convicted of a crime in my teen years, was sentenced to several years and my mom was keeping as afloat financially. So I essentially taught myself. I became clinically depressed and discontinued school (I didn't exactly "drop out" because I wasn't enrolled anywhere and was older than 17.) I then went to work full time before turning 18. Around that time my mom got fired and I was the sole supporter of my family at the time of my 18th birthday. I finally completed school (teaching myself), got into a top 20 UG, and here I am today.

Not looking for sympathy or whatever... but how much of this is "blah blah blah"? You won't hurt my feelings by telling me none of it matters to law schools.
Sounds like it would make for a very compelling DS and/or PS. Certainly share your story with the adcomms...URM cycles are unpredictable and every little thing helps.

Good luck <3

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”