Graduate early?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jshark

Graduate early?

Postby jshark » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:29 am

I'm currently trying to graduate early -- my junior summer -- from Dartmouth College. The plan is to take the LSATs in October and apply right when I get my scores. As it stands, I have a 2.92 GPA (boosted up after this summer, also got a 3.47 GPA on an exchange that's not added on my transcript but I'll send it in). I'm headed for a 4.0 this quarter and that will boost my GPA before I apply. I'm a veteran and bi-racial but not black or Hispanic. Should I wait until my fall grades come out (December) to apply? Or should I just not try to graduate early at all (currently, this requires that I take two terms of heavy courseloads) and apply my senior fall? Thanks for your help in advance.

bk1

Re: Graduate early?

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:19 am

Whatever you do, if you can get above a 3.0, you should do it.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 am

I was in a very, very similar situation and chose to gradeuate early.

Do. Not. Do. It.

You will regret it. Every hundredth of a point will make a difference.

Stay the extra year, get 4.0s both semesters no matter what it takes.

(This is what, looking back, I should've done).

The difference between a 3.1 and 3.3 is huge.

jshark

Postby jshark » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:41 am

Thanks for the advice so far. I should add that Dartmouth is on the quarter system. Let's say I pull a 4.0 this term, and then another 4.0 fall term. Those grades would appear on my transcript in early-mid December. With the current track that I'm on, is it reasonable to apply then? Recommended, even? If I apply next year, it of course means that I'll be working for a year after graduating early before starting law school. After having taken 4 years off from school (military service), I'm really reluctant to spend any more long periods of time out of school before going back.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”