1/4 Nubian as URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
rgndvo

1/4 Nubian as URM?

Postby rgndvo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:35 pm

I am 1/4 Nubian. I am pretty dark, but look more like a mutt than any one race (as opposed to my mom, who looks verrry AA :O ). I am proud of my heritage but did not identify as AA on previous forms (i.e. college apps). Am I an under-represented minority?

I only ask because I'm a bit concerned about the bar. Will they get pissed at me for not declaring my race on previous forms (I am also concerned that my half-nubian mom might have even written down "mixed" for her race on my birth certificate)? Will I be called in for further explanation? Should I drag my dark-as-night grandpa to the bar examination boardroom 8) ? What do y'all think?

vanwinkle

Re: 1/4 Nubian as URM?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:06 pm

rgndvo wrote:I am 1/4 Nubian. I am pretty dark, but look more like a mutt than any one race (as opposed to my mom, who looks verrry AA :O ). I am proud of my heritage but did not identify as AA on previous forms (i.e. college apps). Am I an under-represented minority?

I only ask because I'm a bit concerned about the bar. Will they get pissed at me for not declaring my race on previous forms (I am also concerned that my half-nubian mom might have even written down "mixed" for her race on my birth certificate)? Will I be called in for further explanation? Should I drag my dark-as-night grandpa to the bar examination boardroom 8) ? What do y'all think?

You can indicate that you're African-American on your applications. I would recommend that if you go that route, you start identifying that way consistently, just to avoid any future controversy. But the fact that you didn't identify before doesn't stop you from doing it now, as long as it really is what you are. It probably won't even come up at the bar.

rgndvo

Re: 1/4 Nubian as URM?

Postby rgndvo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”