Dominican TLSers??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
el_ladron

Dominican TLSers??

Postby el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:55 pm

I know Dominicans are not included in the standard law school URM definition, but was wondering if any TLSers on here are Dominican, or have any Dominican friends applying to law schools, and what boost (if any) that could bring? Still worth writing a diversity statement?

My stats are a 170 LSAT and a 4.0 GPA from an Ivy, so any type of boost my Dominican heritage might give me would be great, especially for the top 10.

legalmo

Re: Dominican TLSers??

Postby legalmo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:55 pm

From what I've gathered in other threads it really depends on what kind of Dominican you are. Do you identify as a white Dominican (more European roots I guess) or black Dominican? I'm Dominican as well, and its a bit tricky considering the entire ethnicity is mixed in one way or another (white/black/sometimes Taino), so its hard to say you are purely X or Y. It comes down to what you identify as (race as well as ethnicity). I'm a bit on the darker side, and have no problem identifying as black (most people think I'm AA and white anyway, though both my parents are from DR). If you aren't sure you could always leave it blank.

Some would say to make sure you mark down the race you've identified yourself as before the law school admissions process FWIW. And to actually answer your question: other hispanics (not PR/MA) receive a marginal boost if any. You have pretty enviable numbers though, grats!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, dumb 0L leading other 0Ls here :wink: .

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I believe I received a boost, but I identify as Dominican, Puerto Rican, culturally...but I also identify as black as my race.

I got into Notre Dame, BC, Cornell, BU, Georgetown, Vandy/Waitlists at Columbia and NYU...BU with a full scholly. 90K plus everywhere else.

Your numbers will get you into about half of the top-ten, probably all of them. If you are a black dominican or bi-racial Dominican (I know its difficult to pinpoint exactly what you are, most of DR is biracial) then put black and Latino. Black could be like Rosario Dawson, Alex Rodriguez or pretty much anyone who if they lived in California where there are hardly any Dominicans would probably be seen as black or half black.

el_ladron

Postby el_ladron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 pm

elm84dr wrote:I believe I received a boost, but I identify as Dominican, Puerto Rican, culturally...but I also identify as black as my race.

I got into Notre Dame, BC, Cornell, BU, Georgetown, Vandy/Waitlists at Columbia and NYU...BU with a full scholly. 90K plus everywhere else.

Your numbers will get you into about half of the top-ten, probably all of them. If you are a black dominican or bi-racial Dominican (I know its difficult to pinpoint exactly what you are, most of DR is biracial) then put black and Latino. Black could be like Rosario Dawson, Alex Rodriguez or pretty much anyone who if they lived in California where there are hardly any Dominicans would probably be seen as black or half black.

I am very light, my appearance is mostly European. I do understand what you're saying though, it can be tough to quantify "race" for the DR. My maternal grandfather was white but my grandmother was basically light-skinned black. I don't think it would be wise for me to identify myself as black though--I'd probably get some very strange, dubious looks from adcomms and I have never self-identified a such in the past, genetics aside.

Still, I think my background would make for a good DS. Born and bred in Wash. Heights, speak Spanish fluently, pursued a lot of Latin American studies/fellowships in the past... I would be surprised if there are a lot of us in the T-14.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”