lgbt aa 168/3.5

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Apply now or retake LSAT?

Apply now
28
88%
Retake LSAT
4
13%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
grlll
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:25 am

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Postby grlll » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:13 am

Thank you to everyone for your insightful comments! I've decided to apply this year and to aim higher. Can't hurt to try, right? :)

AppsAbound
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 am

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Postby AppsAbound » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:33 am

This is shitty advice for a lot of different reasons.

First of all, I decided on Michigan not because I was selling myself short but because it was the school that felt like the best fit to me and that I could see myself really being happy during the 3 year slog through law school. If I really cared about prestige or rank That much, I'd be on my way to Columbia.

Second of all, URM boost not withstanding, NO ONE is a lock at Harvard. My GPA and LSAT are both below the 25th percentile, let alone the median. Yes, I might have had a shot, but it would have been iffy at best. So, to wait another year after I've already been through the whole application process to gamble on a Possible acceptance from H (not to mention having already quit my job, deposited at Mich, moving there on Sunday, with classes starting in about a month) is silly.

I may not have been clear when I said I sometimes wish I had applied to H (or Y or S, for that matter). The only reason I wish I had applied is to know for sure whether or not I would have gotten in. I fell in love with Michigan and Ann Arbor during the ASW and I honestly couldn't imagine myself going anywhere else. I don't regret the school I'm ending up at; I seriously could not be more excited. I just wondered if I would have gotten into HYS if I had applied.

Anyway, enough about my lack of love for H and Gaia's incredible rack. OP, if you want me to edit your DS/PS or have any questions, just holler at me in a PM. I can also send you my DS, which talks about being both queer and black, if you're interested.


+1 (million)

Props to you for doing what you wanted and what felt right. Not sure how this forum turned into people telling you that you sold yourself short by going to a top ten law school....

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Postby 20121109 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:44 am

AppsAbound wrote:
This is shitty advice for a lot of different reasons.

First of all, I decided on Michigan not because I was selling myself short but because it was the school that felt like the best fit to me and that I could see myself really being happy during the 3 year slog through law school. If I really cared about prestige or rank That much, I'd be on my way to Columbia.

Second of all, URM boost not withstanding, NO ONE is a lock at Harvard. My GPA and LSAT are both below the 25th percentile, let alone the median. Yes, I might have had a shot, but it would have been iffy at best. So, to wait another year after I've already been through the whole application process to gamble on a Possible acceptance from H (not to mention having already quit my job, deposited at Mich, moving there on Sunday, with classes starting in about a month) is silly.

I may not have been clear when I said I sometimes wish I had applied to H (or Y or S, for that matter). The only reason I wish I had applied is to know for sure whether or not I would have gotten in. I fell in love with Michigan and Ann Arbor during the ASW and I honestly couldn't imagine myself going anywhere else. I don't regret the school I'm ending up at; I seriously could not be more excited. I just wondered if I would have gotten into HYS if I had applied.

Anyway, enough about my lack of love for H and Gaia's incredible rack. OP, if you want me to edit your DS/PS or have any questions, just holler at me in a PM. I can also send you my DS, which talks about being both queer and black, if you're interested.


+1 (million)

Props to you for doing what you wanted and what felt right. Not sure how this forum turned into people telling you that you sold yourself short by going to a top ten law school....


:roll:

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote: I made it very clear that I thought Michigan was a great school. But imo, telling someone to apply to HYS is never bad advice because those schools open more doors than all others. So I only meant you were selling yourself short in this context... I simply thought it was a mistake for you not to apply because you foreclosed an opportunity that would have benefited you.


If you're gonna read the thread, you might as well read it in its entirety.

And most importantly, OP, good luck!!! I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by how your cycle turns out <3

AppsAbound
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 am

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Postby AppsAbound » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:09 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
I made it very clear that I thought Michigan was a great school. But imo, telling someone to apply to HYS is never bad advice because those schools open more doors than all others. So I only meant you were selling yourself short in this context... I simply thought it was a mistake for you not to apply because you foreclosed an opportunity that would have benefited you.


I did read the thread in its entirety and my comment wasn't directed only at your response, but an attitude that is ever present on this site. I don't know what this poster wants out of life and what she needs to be successful in law school. Even "in this context" there is no way that someone can say with certainty that she cheated herself. If fit is her first priority and she couldn't find that at an Ivy league school, she's still winning in my book.

I'm sincerely not interested in arguing, I'm just glad when I see someone who a) doesn't have an HYS or die mentality and b) when people can support that. I see a lot of people on this site and in real life who feel too much pressure to follow the prestige or bust route---it's not for everyone.

I'm also not responding anymore. I've seen too many good forums go bad this way.

Rock on TLSers

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Postby 20121109 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:22 am

AppsAbound wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
I made it very clear that I thought Michigan was a great school. But imo, telling someone to apply to HYS is never bad advice because those schools open more doors than all others. So I only meant you were selling yourself short in this context... I simply thought it was a mistake for you not to apply because you foreclosed an opportunity that would have benefited you.


I did read the thread in its entirety and my comment wasn't directed only at your response, but an attitude that is ever present on this site. I don't know what this poster wants out of life and what she needs to be successful in law school. Even "in this context" there is no way that someone can say with certainty that she cheated herself. If fit is her first priority and she couldn't find that at an Ivy league school, she's still winning in my book.

I'm sincerely not interested in arguing, I'm just glad when I see someone who a) doesn't have an HYS or die mentality and b) when people can support that. I see a lot of people on this site and in real life who feel too much pressure to follow the prestige or bust route---it's not for everyone.

I'm also not responding anymore. I've seen too many good forums go bad this way.

Rock on TLSers


lulz. I see where you're coming from!! Im not interested in arguing either :)

AffordablePrep
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Postby AffordablePrep » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:36 am

My guess is the AA is the much bigger plus. Even if law schools went out of their way to accept people for reasons outside of USNews bonuses, I doubt that the percentage of LGBT at law schools are significantly below their relative representation in the population.

uchi15hopeful
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Postby uchi15hopeful » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:41 am

I'm sorry, did you say that being LGBT is a soft? I knew being of a certain ethnicity could be a big advantage, but having a certain sexual orientation can be an advantage - as well?

AffordablePrep
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Postby AffordablePrep » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 pm

uchi15hopeful wrote:I'm sorry, did you say that being LGBT is a soft? I knew being of a certain ethnicity could be a big advantage, but having a certain sexual orientation can be an advantage - as well?

I can see something like beating cancer or maybe being from an atypical background being a soft. I think OP was suggesting that.

This is a pretty professional process, and I can't picture a dean being like, "You know, we really need more men who are attracted to men here this year." I can see it being a soft if say you were from certain parts of the south, and had to grow up keeping your sexuality a secret, and how overcoming that led to blah, blah, blah. However, if you're from Beverly Hills and happen to like the same sex, it would be upsetting if this put you over someone else.

My philosophy has always been, "some like blondes, some like brunettes and some like the same gender." I don't get why who you happen to find sexy would be a factor in law school admissions, but maybe I'm missing something.

User avatar
grlll
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:25 am

Re: lgbt aa 168/3.5

Postby grlll » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:15 pm

No, I am not trying to imply that being LGBT is an advantage in admissions akin to a URM boost. When I said that "I don't have any notable softs, other than a masters degree and being lgbt," I meant it in the sense that these were the only relevant aspects of my application that stand out a bit (i.e. I haven't done Peace Corps, I don't have significant work experience, I have not saved puppies from burning buildings, etc.). Perhaps I should have used a word other than "soft" to convey that.

And I am actually from a part of the country where being an out LGBT person is a very big deal and entails personal as well as professional challenges. I'll discuss my LGBT experience as part of my personal statement, not because I think it'll give me an "advantage" but because being out has so profoundly shaped my experiences -- both personal and professional -- that I could not accurately convey who I am without mentioning it.



uchi15hopeful wrote:I'm sorry, did you say that being LGBT is a soft? I knew being of a certain ethnicity could be a big advantage, but having a certain sexual orientation can be an advantage - as well?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest