Seriously what race am I?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
admisionquestion

Re: Seriously what race am I?

Postby admisionquestion » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:13 am

sparty99 wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:If law schools applications are the first time you've considered yourself NA, then you clearly aren't.

You should check, "WHACK." Cause if you've never considered yourself NA, then you clearly aren't.

I absolutely did not say that I have never considered myself NA. thanks for the post though.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:20 am

admisionquestion wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:If law schools applications are the first time you've considered yourself NA, then you clearly aren't.

You should check, "WHACK." Cause if you've never considered yourself NA, then you clearly aren't.

I absolutely did not say that I have never considered myself NA. thanks for the post though.

BRO, you're totally welcome

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Since it's not in this thread, and addresses the topic of this thread:

vanwinkle wrote:I wrote this in another thread, and it's just as applicable here:

vanwinkle wrote:The ABA just passed a resolution urging law schools to verify their Native American status through tribal citizenship or tribal affiliation as well as an "ethnic statement" describing why they indicated NA status. This is because of a spike in applicants who are identifying as NA on their applications, with the ABA wanting to reduce "ethnic misrepresentation" in this category.

Article: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... oan_debts/
Passed resolution: http://www.abajournal.com/files/102.pdf

Short version: If you just "check the box" after a history of identifying as white, you might get yourself in trouble.

See also: http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1 ... hbxlogin=1

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Since it's not in this thread, and addresses the topic of this thread:

vanwinkle wrote:I wrote this in another thread, and it's just as applicable here:

vanwinkle wrote:The ABA just passed a resolution urging law schools to verify their Native American status through tribal citizenship or tribal affiliation as well as an "ethnic statement" describing why they indicated NA status. This is because of a spike in applicants who are identifying as NA on their applications, with the ABA wanting to reduce "ethnic misrepresentation" in this category.

Article: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... oan_debts/
Passed resolution: http://www.abajournal.com/files/102.pdf

Short version: If you just "check the box" after a history of identifying as white, you might get yourself in trouble.

See also: http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1 ... hbxlogin=1

I've always felt it a bit unfair that NA's are held to a higher standard of proof than other URM's. Though I guess it makes sense considering people are more likely to try and cheat the system by marking NA than they are by marking AA/MX/PR.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Okay.

I have decided that the appropriate course of action would be to discuss this with an attorney. Any advice on finding an attorney who specializes on this sort of thing?

delusional

Postby delusional » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:25 pm

You're being ridiculous. Of course you're NA. The same way your GPA would be lowered if you took AP courses in a school that counts all Ws as WF, you are NA even if you didn't grow up impoverished on a reservation.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:14 am

Proverbs 23:7- As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:35 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Okay.

I have decided that the appropriate course of action would be to discuss this with an attorney. Any advice on finding an attorney who specializes on this sort of thing?

You are annoying. If you need to consult an attorney about what box you should check, then you shouldn't check anything. What a shame. You are a disgrace to all the Native American's who actually care about their background and feel their background will actually provide meaning to the law school. You just want to check it so you can get a "little boost." PATHETIC.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:45 pm

sparty99 wrote:

You are annoying. If you need to consult an attorney about what box you should check, then you shouldn't check anything. What a shame. You are a disgrace to all the Native American's who actually care about their background and feel their background will actually provide meaning to the law school. You just want to check it so you can get a "little boost." PATHETIC.

You are annoying. If you need to bitch about what box people check, then you shouldn't check anything. What a shame. You are a disgrace to all the Native American's who actually care about their background and feel their background will actually help society so they don't check the box because they know they are no lesser of a person so they need no boost. PATHETIC.

moopness

Postby moopness » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 pm

monarchylover wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

You are annoying. If you need to bitch about what box people check, then you shouldn't check anything. What a shame. You are a disgrace to all the Native American's who actually care about their background and feel their background will actually help society so they don't check the box because they know they are no lesser of a person so they need no boost. PATHETIC.

What the...? I know you were attempting to be clever, but this makes no goddamn sense.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 pm

moopness wrote:What the...? I know you were attempting to be clever, but this makes no goddamn sense.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”