Mexican American URM Boost; new lsac research Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
triplem25

New

Mexican American URM Boost; new lsac research

Post by triplem25 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:38 pm

I saw a previous post where someone asked about the new distinction in lsac research, where mexicans are combined with hispanics into the category "hispanic/latino" and puerto ricans have their own separate category. Does this mean that mexicans will no longer get a significant URM boost, considering there would be less incentive for schools to do so. All the ABA profiles also include hispanics all in one category. Someone responded that the schools still would give boosts, but now that the distinction is gone, where would the strong incentive to distinguish between mexicans and other hispanics come from?

I'm asking because I'm a MA, with a ..., wanting to go to a T14 or USC/UCLA
Last edited by triplem25 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boosk

Bronze

Re: Mexican American URM Boost; new lsac research

Post by boosk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:03 pm

im not sure, but I think that LSAC's research studies differ significantly from the selection processes of individual schools... There is still a "Mexican" delineation on your LSAC profile, and I've heard most apps at schools have a Mexican delineation as well. I guess im just thinking (hoping) that LSAC's use of statistics for its own research wont affect URM boosts for Mexican applicants.

triplem25

New

Post by triplem25 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:18 am

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm hoping that too, just thought someone might know a little more concretely, especially with the confidence that people talk about MA URM boosts over other hispanics on these forums.

triplem25

New

Post by triplem25 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:20 pm

I was wondering if anyone else had any views on the topic. I've been thinking about it, perhaps there are other political factors to consider, for example, influence of alumni. Does US News use different statistics for the student body profile or just ABA's statistics?

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:24 pm

lawschoolnumbers.com

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:53 pm

The distinction still exists on the LSAC racial questionnaire as well as most individual school applications. MA will still be URM.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:03 pm

The reason that TLS is so sure is because it exists in practice (there is evidence to that effect) and that the 4 URM groups were specifically identified in university policy (iirc, the case Grutter v Bollinger states this and maybe others).

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:38 pm

With your #'s you will get into USC no problem, and most likely a lot of T14's

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm an MA female with a 165 and a 3.88...and I'm an 0L at a T6. I am sure you will get bites from the top schools with a 168. Keep in mind though that admissions can be very random for URMs based on what a school is looking for. I was accepted to University of Chicago but waitlisted at Duke, accepted to UVA but waitlisted at Cornell.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”