x Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
admisionquestion

Bronze

x

Post by admisionquestion » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:33 pm

v
Last edited by admisionquestion on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Re: Native American

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Could you write a DS about it? If yes, then it is probably fine. If not it probably still ok since you consider yourself NA. Really the line is when you have like a grandparent or great-grandparent that was NA yet you have always considered yourself white and it isn't part of you identity. That doesn't seem like you.

xmrmckenziex

New

Post by xmrmckenziex » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:08 am

Each tribe has their own requirements for admission into the tribe. My understanding is that if you identify as Native you can mark it on your application but that admissions boards consider it less so without a roll number/substantive evidence of connection to your heritage.

Then again, thats just my understanding.

northwestgirl

New

Post by northwestgirl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:11 pm

I feel that a lot of this would have resolved if you checked it see if you could become enrolled, which can be resolved by simply calling the enrollment department of your mom’s tribe. If the tribe has some exclusion that prevents you from enrolling (if they are patrilineal, for example), consider getting a Certificate of Indian Blood from the DOI, which states your blood quantum percentage, and can be used to identify your status even if you aren’t enrolled. I personally believe that you aren’t cheating regardless; at the very least you qualify as a tribal decedent, if in fact your mom is an enrollment member (which I assume as it appears she is receiving a per-cap). That said, a lot of applications ask for your roll number/CIB number. The fact that you don’t have this could impact how the admissions committee views your status.
Even if you have no ties to the Native community, you still are entitled to check the box as a decedent, but that is a personal choice. Even if all you do is check the box, with no addendum or mention of your cultural connection, I believe that you will see an impact in your admission offers. Although, I agree with the above poster that the impact would be greater if you had a well-established cultural connection/identity. The fact remains that you represent an underrepresented racial group. Good luck to you.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:50 am

northwestgirl wrote:I feel that a lot of this would have resolved if you checked it see if you could become enrolled, which can be resolved by simply calling the enrollment department of your mom’s tribe. If the tribe has some exclusion that prevents you from enrolling (if they are patrilineal, for example), consider getting a Certificate of Indian Blood from the DOI, which states your blood quantum percentage, and can be used to identify your status even if you aren’t enrolled. I personally believe that you aren’t cheating regardless; at the very least you qualify as a tribal decedent, if in fact your mom is an enrollment member (which I assume as it appears she is receiving a per-cap). That said, a lot of applications ask for your roll number/CIB number. The fact that you don’t have this could impact how the admissions committee views your status.
Even if you have no ties to the Native community, you still are entitled to check the box as a decedent, but that is a personal choice. Even if all you do is check the box, with no addendum or mention of your cultural connection, I believe that you will see an impact in your admission offers. Although, I agree with the above poster that the impact would be greater if you had a well-established cultural connection/identity. The fact remains that you represent an underrepresented racial group. Good luck to you.
Thank you for the very detailed response. I appreciate it. This helped alot.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:52 am

northwestgirl wrote:I feel that a lot of this would have resolved if you checked it see if you could become enrolled, which can be resolved by simply calling the enrollment department of your mom’s tribe. If the tribe has some exclusion that prevents you from enrolling (if they are patrilineal, for example), consider getting a Certificate of Indian Blood from the DOI, which states your blood quantum percentage, and can be used to identify your status even if you aren’t enrolled. I personally believe that you aren’t cheating regardless; at the very least you qualify as a tribal decedent, if in fact your mom is an enrollment member (which I assume as it appears she is receiving a per-cap). That said, a lot of applications ask for your roll number/CIB number. The fact that you don’t have this could impact how the admissions committee views your status.
This was both well-written and, IMO, substantively correct. +1

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”