PR males on LSN?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jhspaybar

PR males on LSN?

Postby jhspaybar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 pm

All the URM's I seem to be able to find getting into top schools are all AA males or females. Does anyone know of the accounts of some Puerto Rican males or females that I could browse through? If not, does anyone know how high I could reach with a 3.45 and 166, and how low I'd need to go for a full ride?

bk1

Re: PR males on LSN?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 pm

While PR/MX boosts aren't as large as AA boosts they are still very substantial and pretty close to an AA boost. You can and should use AA cycles as a rough guide for what to expect.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:58 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/anjoyme - Similar
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/quetzalbird - Much higher GPA
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Trustbuster - Much higher GPA and higher LSAT

Anecdotally from these and users on this site, the bump is not nearly as large as it would be for an AA male with the same numbers.

jhspaybar

Postby jhspaybar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks guys. The person with a 3.85 and 167 that got into Stanford...If I graduate with a 3.55 and study and even push my LSAT up to say 172, would I have similar opportunities?

I suppose the question is how much higher does my LSAT need to be if my GPA is .3 lower?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:08 pm

jhspaybar wrote:Thanks guys. The person with a 3.85 and 167 that got into Stanford...If I graduate with a 3.55 and study and even push my LSAT up to say 172, would I have similar opportunities?

I suppose the question is how much higher does my LSAT need to be if my GPA is .3 lower?

Stanford likes high GPAs and/or impressive academic accomplishments (like having a PhD in a hard science). I think you'd be a tough sell unless you had a stellar LSAT (think higher 170s). I would set your sights on Columbia on down and still be thinking about a retake if you can get in the 170s.

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:09 pm

This person got NYU last year
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BoriquaEsquire

Based on anecdotal evidence, but I'd guess

In w no $ at (some of) MVPB

In w $ at (most of) DCG(N w WE)

$$ at all of t-18

you'll nab a few full rides in the t-30

it all depends on how debt averse you are and where you want to practice

jhspaybar

Postby jhspaybar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:21 am

Well, I would say I'm very debt averse, as in probably not paying for anything outside of T-6. I know it sounds snooty, but I won't enter Law School until I'm 30 and I'm married with a kid, I have to be careful. I will however have a double major B.A. in Econ, and B.S. in Computer Science and I started an Internet company in dot com 1.0 that was very successful for the times, maybe it'll all help keep me on the west coast :)

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:48 am

I'm curious about this as well, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am PR and have a 3.5 and 170. What are my chances at CCNMVP and schollys? I'd really like to get a scholarship somewhere in the T14 and my dream school is Penn. I'm retaking in hopes of getting more $$, can anyone help me figure out where I stand now and how much higher my LSAT needs to be to secure some $$ at MVP or even CCN?

nykid628

Postby nykid628 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 pm

mickeyD wrote:I'm curious about this as well, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am PR and have a 3.5 and 170. What are my chances at CCNMVP and schollys? I'd really like to get a scholarship somewhere in the T14 and my dream school is Penn. I'm retaking in hopes of getting more $$, can anyone help me figure out where I stand now and how much higher my LSAT needs to be to secure some $$ at MVP or even CCN?

I'm in a position similar to yours. I asked people on the general Admissions forum and they said being PR gives you essentially the same boost being AA would give you. They told me I'd get into a lot of the T14 and probably get good money at several schools. My LSAT is 168, so with a 170 I think you'd see a lot of those opportunities.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”