Where should I apply?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
amc987

Where should I apply?

Postby amc987 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Deleted. Sorry guys, I shared way too much info about myself in this post.
Last edited by amc987 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amc987

Re: Where should I apply?

Postby amc987 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Bump. Anyone?

I really could use the feedback. I will probably blanket the T-14 and see where I get in, but does anyone have a realistic assessment of my chances at HS, CCN, MVPB, etc. I also have NO IDEA what to use for safeties. USC, GWU, Fordham??

Does anyone who is a URM/ has experience with URMs like mine have any advice about this?

Thanks again in advance! :D

saito816

Postby saito816 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:02 am

Blanket T14, assuming your not an ax murderer :lol: the lower T14 is your safety schools and you should get significant money at them. I wouldn't bother applying to any schools below that. For reference I got into H with a much lower LSAT and bit higher GPA. I'm an AA male as well.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:12 am

The bottom T14 are your safeties.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks guys. I am going to admit that I'm still a little worried. I could've probably gotten a 172 on this last LSAT (I had 3 questions where I was between 2 answer choices and picked the wrong one, and 1 question on LR where I made a silly mistake). I know that it would've helped to do better, especially at H and at S, and if I wanted $ at some of the top schools. C'est la vie, I guess.

I do see some URMs on LSN, especially AA URMs, who got in to Harvard and Stanford with LSAT scores lower than mine, but they had higher GPAs.

Do you guys still think it's a possibility? I mean, I'm going to apply regardless, and I still have some hope. But I think I might be in a more tenuous position than you guys seem to, and that it might all come down to how my personal statement/ softs are received.

What do you all think???? How likely is it that I get one of HSCCN (preferably H or S) with what I have??

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:03 pm

If I had to bet, HLS would be the highest ranked school you get into. I don't think your GPA is good enough for Stanford or Yale, but should get you in from CCN on down, with a good chance at HLS. I'd recommend applying to the T14 schools that'd you seriously consider.

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Moxie wrote:If I had to bet, HLS would be the highest ranked school you get into. I don't think your GPA is good enough for Stanford or Yale, but should get you in from CCN on down, with a good chance at HLS. I'd recommend applying to the T14 schools that'd you seriously consider.

TITCR

amc987

Postby amc987 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I am a bit surprised people say that I might have a better shot at H than at S. My GPA is 3.5, but it's really only low because of a bad freshman year where my GPA was slightly below 3.0. I have around a 3.75/3.8 for the other 3 years. While I don't think this is the end all be all (or that it will necessarily compel schools to evaluate me at my sophomore-senior year GPA), I was thinking that if I could just figure out a way to explain my GPA to S, my LSAT is pretty close to their median. So my first impression was that S might be an easier sell. For H I not only have a low GPA, but I am also outside their 25/75 range on the LSAT despite taking it multiple times. I thought that I might have needed a 171 or 172 to make H a reasonable possibility.

Does this sound like the right way to think about it or am I missing something big? Could the class size at H make it more likely than S? I guess the admissions processes at H and S are black boxes anyway (and both care about much more than GPA and LSAT scores when they evaluate candidates), so I'll just have to roll the dice and see... 8)

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:46 am

There's no way to know for sure, don't worry about it to much and just put together the best app u can. Fwiw, 3.5 is not too low of a gpa for SLS...but that doesn't mean you'll definitely get in. The smaller class size at SLS and their tendency to not focus entirely on #s makes it hard to say with any degree of certainty...

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”