Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
sc2012
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby sc2012 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 am

Here are my stats:
-3.03 LSAC GPA
-172 LSAT Score
-No relevant work experience
-4 letters of recommendations (1 from dean of my department, other 3 from professors)

My question is do I have a decent shot at NYU, Columbia, or Georgetown. Or is my GPA so low to where I might need to retake the LSAT in hopes of getting something higher like a 175 or 178. Any responses will be greatly appreciated, I've read a lot of the different posts on this website but this is my first time posting. Thanks.

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby timmna » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:27 am

sc2012 wrote:Here are my stats:
-3.03 LSAC GPA
-172 LSAT Score
-No relevant work experience
-4 letters of recommendations (1 from dean of my department, other 3 from professors)

My question is do I have a decent shot at NYU, Columbia, or Georgetown. Or is my GPA so low to where I might need to retake the LSAT in hopes of getting something higher like a 175 or 178. Any responses will be greatly appreciated, I've read a lot of the different posts on this website but this is my first time posting. Thanks.


What kind of URM?

User avatar
sc2012
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby sc2012 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Should've put that in the intro, I'm an African-American Male

chiach1
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby chiach1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 am

you'll be in at all 3.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby glewz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 am

chiach1 wrote:you'll be in at all 3.

TCR, but still make sure you spend a good deal of time putting together a solid application. btw, in general, African American URMs receive a significant admissions boost.

If I were in your shoes, I'd also apply to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

User avatar
sc2012
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby sc2012 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am

glewz wrote:
chiach1 wrote:you'll be in at all 3.

TCR, but still make sure you spend a good deal of time putting together a solid application. btw, in general, African American URMs receive a significant admissions boost.

If I were in your shoes, I'd also apply to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.


Wow really, thanks for the response. I'm spending all summer making sure I'm ready to send in my applications by late August or by the latest early September. I was going to apply to Harvard regardless but I doubt I would go even if accepted. I really want to spend my time in law school and my career after that in the New York City or DC area so I have my heart set on schools in that area.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:38 am

sc2012 wrote:
glewz wrote:
chiach1 wrote:you'll be in at all 3.

TCR, but still make sure you spend a good deal of time putting together a solid application. btw, in general, African American URMs receive a significant admissions boost.

If I were in your shoes, I'd also apply to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.


Wow really, thanks for the response. I'm spending all summer making sure I'm ready to send in my applications by late August or by the latest early September. I was going to apply to Harvard regardless but I doubt I would go even if accepted. I really want to spend my time in law school and my career after that in the New York City or DC area so I have my heart set on schools in that area.

All these schools are good for NYC, but if you really want DC then you should go to Harvard. I don't think you have a very high shot of getting in, but you should at least apply.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby duckmoney » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:41 am

Apply to HYS, but I still wouldn't bank on them. Even the URM boost may not overcome the GPA. Definitely in at NYU and big $$$ at Georgetown. Probably in at Columbia too.

User avatar
sc2012
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby sc2012 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:45 am

Yeah I think I'm going to apply there and on the off chance I get accepted then I'll have a decision to make. Since I don't consider it likely I'm just concentrating on NYU, Columbia, and Georgetown. I hope I'm able to get into those three, at least two of them.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:51 am

sc2012 wrote:Yeah I think I'm going to apply there and on the off chance I get accepted then I'll have a decision to make. Since I don't consider it likely I'm just concentrating on NYU, Columbia, and Georgetown. I hope I'm able to get into those three, at least two of them.

What about the rest of the T14? I understand your desire to be in a city for law school, but other schools could easily be better for you after you graduate (i.e. UChi would be better then GULC for those cities and getting a scholarship to another T14 would often be better than taking one of those schools at sticker).

User avatar
sc2012
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby sc2012 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:58 am

bk1 wrote:
sc2012 wrote:Yeah I think I'm going to apply there and on the off chance I get accepted then I'll have a decision to make. Since I don't consider it likely I'm just concentrating on NYU, Columbia, and Georgetown. I hope I'm able to get into those three, at least two of them.

What about the rest of the T14? I understand your desire to be in a city for law school, but other schools could easily be better for you after you graduate (i.e. UChi would be better then GULC for those cities and getting a scholarship to another T14 would often be better than taking one of those schools at sticker).


Well I've saved up enough money to blanket the T14 so I'll be applying to a lot of schools. But all things being equal I'd prefer to stay on the East Coast. Those three schools are at the top of my list but by no means would I not consider another school in the T14.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:02 am

sc2012 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
sc2012 wrote:Yeah I think I'm going to apply there and on the off chance I get accepted then I'll have a decision to make. Since I don't consider it likely I'm just concentrating on NYU, Columbia, and Georgetown. I hope I'm able to get into those three, at least two of them.

What about the rest of the T14? I understand your desire to be in a city for law school, but other schools could easily be better for you after you graduate (i.e. UChi would be better then GULC for those cities and getting a scholarship to another T14 would often be better than taking one of those schools at sticker).


Well I've saved up enough money to blanket the T14 so I'll be applying to a lot of schools. But all things being equal I'd prefer to stay on the East Coast. Those three schools are at the top of my list but by no means would I not consider another school in the T14.

Ah okay, I guess I just misinterpreted your earlier post. Good luck with your apps.

User avatar
sc2012
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby sc2012 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 am

bk1 wrote:
sc2012 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
sc2012 wrote:Yeah I think I'm going to apply there and on the off chance I get accepted then I'll have a decision to make. Since I don't consider it likely I'm just concentrating on NYU, Columbia, and Georgetown. I hope I'm able to get into those three, at least two of them.

What about the rest of the T14? I understand your desire to be in a city for law school, but other schools could easily be better for you after you graduate (i.e. UChi would be better then GULC for those cities and getting a scholarship to another T14 would often be better than taking one of those schools at sticker).


Well I've saved up enough money to blanket the T14 so I'll be applying to a lot of schools. But all things being equal I'd prefer to stay on the East Coast. Those three schools are at the top of my list but by no means would I not consider another school in the T14.

Ah okay, I guess I just misinterpreted your earlier post. Good luck with your apps.


Thanks for the response and advice

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby dkt4 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:27 pm

you can either apply only to schools you'd actually consider, or blanket in the hopes that scholarship money can be leveraged across schools.

You have a legitimate shot at CLS and NYU, but I wouldn't bank on them. Georgetown is pretty likely, and it's definitely worth trying to HYS if you'd go, otherwise what's the point?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28284
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:30 pm

dkt4 wrote:you can either apply only to schools you'd actually consider, or blanket in the hopes that scholarship money can be leveraged across schools.

You have a legitimate shot at CLS and NYU, but I wouldn't bank on them. Georgetown is pretty likely, and it's definitely worth trying to HYS if you'd go, otherwise what's the point?


Yeah. I wouldn't count Columbia and NYU. Friend of mine (AA male) got rejected from CLS with 3.4 / 174. But he eventually got into Harvard (pretty late though, like April). I would imagine you'll get Georgetown for sure, and probably one of NYU or CLS.

Applying to HYS is definitely worth it.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby glewz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:22 am

Kronk wrote:
dkt4 wrote:you can either apply only to schools you'd actually consider, or blanket in the hopes that scholarship money can be leveraged across schools.

You have a legitimate shot at CLS and NYU, but I wouldn't bank on them. Georgetown is pretty likely, and it's definitely worth trying to HYS if you'd go, otherwise what's the point?


Yeah. I wouldn't count Columbia and NYU. Friend of mine (AA male) got rejected from CLS with 3.4 / 174. But he eventually got into Harvard (pretty late though, like April). I would imagine you'll get Georgetown for sure, and probably one of NYU or CLS.

Applying to HYS is definitely worth it.

Hmm...did your friend apply super late or something? I really think a person with his/her numbers getting rejected from CLS is the exception, not the general rule.

Anyways, OP, you're pretty much solid in for CCN, but like others have said, HYS is going to be tougher.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28284
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby Kronk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:35 am

glewz wrote:
Kronk wrote:
dkt4 wrote:you can either apply only to schools you'd actually consider, or blanket in the hopes that scholarship money can be leveraged across schools.

You have a legitimate shot at CLS and NYU, but I wouldn't bank on them. Georgetown is pretty likely, and it's definitely worth trying to HYS if you'd go, otherwise what's the point?


Yeah. I wouldn't count Columbia and NYU. Friend of mine (AA male) got rejected from CLS with 3.4 / 174. But he eventually got into Harvard (pretty late though, like April). I would imagine you'll get Georgetown for sure, and probably one of NYU or CLS.

Applying to HYS is definitely worth it.

Hmm...did your friend apply super late or something? I really think a person with his/her numbers getting rejected from CLS is the exception, not the general rule.

Anyways, OP, you're pretty much solid in for CCN, but like others have said, HYS is going to be tougher.


No, he applied in September / October, got held at CLS and eventually dinged. He also had two years of pretty intense business work experience in NYC. Just saying, whether or not it was YP or whatever, he almost got locked out of HYSC. Got Harvard in April.

I wouldn't count on all three, but I would probably count on Georgetown and NYU, with Columbia probable.

User avatar
sc2012
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby sc2012 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks all of you for the responses, so what I'm gathering is that NYU and Georgetown should be in, and a maybe on Columbia.

User avatar
Alltheirsplendor
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:01 am

Kronk wrote:
glewz wrote:
Kronk wrote:
dkt4 wrote:you can either apply only to schools you'd actually consider, or blanket in the hopes that scholarship money can be leveraged across schools.

You have a legitimate shot at CLS and NYU, but I wouldn't bank on them. Georgetown is pretty likely, and it's definitely worth trying to HYS if you'd go, otherwise what's the point?


Yeah. I wouldn't count Columbia and NYU. Friend of mine (AA male) got rejected from CLS with 3.4 / 174. But he eventually got into Harvard (pretty late though, like April). I would imagine you'll get Georgetown for sure, and probably one of NYU or CLS.

Applying to HYS is definitely worth it.

Hmm...did your friend apply super late or something? I really think a person with his/her numbers getting rejected from CLS is the exception, not the general rule.

Anyways, OP, you're pretty much solid in for CCN, but like others have said, HYS is going to be tougher.


No, he applied in September / October, got held at CLS and eventually dinged. He also had two years of pretty intense business work experience in NYC. Just saying, whether or not it was YP or whatever, he almost got locked out of HYSC. Got Harvard in April.

I wouldn't count on all three, but I would probably count on Georgetown and NYU, with Columbia probable.


Did he apply during the recent admissions cycle? If he did then you have to keep in mind that Columbia was acting very strangely during that cycle...

User avatar
TatNurner
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby TatNurner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:56 am

Kronk wrote:
dkt4 wrote:you can either apply only to schools you'd actually consider, or blanket in the hopes that scholarship money can be leveraged across schools.

You have a legitimate shot at CLS and NYU, but I wouldn't bank on them. Georgetown is pretty likely, and it's definitely worth trying to HYS if you'd go, otherwise what's the point?


Yeah. I wouldn't count Columbia and NYU. Friend of mine (AA male) got rejected from CLS with 3.4 / 174. But he eventually got into Harvard (pretty late though, like April). I would imagine you'll get Georgetown for sure, and probably one of NYU or CLS.

Applying to HYS is definitely worth it.


Wow, that is a strange data point. Would it be fair to say that this guy is an outlier? I guess in the end he did get into H, so he wasn't really an outlier in the end, but there is something rather strange about AA male, 2 years WE, early app along with those numbers getting shut out like that.

What type of school did he go to?

SuperCool23
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:56 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby SuperCool23 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 pm

How did you study for the lsat?Prep class etc....???

User avatar
sc2012
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby sc2012 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:12 am

I just studied the LR and logic games bibles religiously, no pun intended, then began taking practice tests weekly. I began reading dense and complex books and magazines like Scientific American to help with the RC section. I started doing this about a full year before my test date and kept at it until about 2 days before my actual test when I just took a break sort of so that I wouldn't be burned out on test day

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:47 am

I would focus on Penn as well. Philly isn't that bad, and the school is amazing.

User avatar
sc2012
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby sc2012 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 am

yngblkgifted wrote:I would focus on Penn as well. Philly isn't that bad, and the school is amazing.


I haven't heard much about Penn actually, I probably should look into it more as well. I planned on applying to all or most the T14 anyways.

User avatar
Wade LeBosh
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: Chance at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown?

Postby Wade LeBosh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Kronk wrote:
glewz wrote:
Kronk wrote:
dkt4 wrote:you can either apply only to schools you'd actually consider, or blanket in the hopes that scholarship money can be leveraged across schools.

You have a legitimate shot at CLS and NYU, but I wouldn't bank on them. Georgetown is pretty likely, and it's definitely worth trying to HYS if you'd go, otherwise what's the point?


Yeah. I wouldn't count Columbia and NYU. Friend of mine (AA male) got rejected from CLS with 3.4 / 174. But he eventually got into Harvard (pretty late though, like April). I would imagine you'll get Georgetown for sure, and probably one of NYU or CLS.

Applying to HYS is definitely worth it.

Hmm...did your friend apply super late or something? I really think a person with his/her numbers getting rejected from CLS is the exception, not the general rule.

Anyways, OP, you're pretty much solid in for CCN, but like others have said, HYS is going to be tougher.


No, he applied in September / October, got held at CLS and eventually dinged. He also had two years of pretty intense business work experience in NYC. Just saying, whether or not it was YP or whatever, he almost got locked out of HYSC. Got Harvard in April.

I wouldn't count on all three, but I would probably count on Georgetown and NYU, with Columbia probable.


This post is going to give me nightmares. Perhaps he didn't write a diversity statement?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest