AA male still in undergrad -- seeking advice

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
sfxx

AA male still in undergrad -- seeking advice

Postby sfxx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 am

I just finished my sophomore year of college and am looking for a bit of guidance.

About me:

AA male
Current ug gpa: 3.35
Just transferred from a large state school to a very small liberal arts school (personal reasons, received a decent scholarship)
Changed my major to english, hoping to bang out a couple 4.0 semesters since I'll have less distractions and will be living at home
I've been working a paid internship every school break (summer, winter) at a local government job

I'm interested in attending HYS and will start studying for the june lsat in january or february. I will not consider going to any school ranked lower than Cornell. So basically I wanted to know what I can be doing to now to maximize my chances of being accepted to HYS (specifically Stanford, as I am from the bay area). I know YS is a crapshoot for most, but want to do whatever I can to increase my chances.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sorry for any typos/grammatical errors, I'm on my phone.

saito816

Re: AA male still in undergrad -- seeking advice

Postby saito816 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:44 pm

sfxx wrote:I just finished my sophomore year of college and am looking for a bit of guidance.

About me:

AA male
Just transferred from a large state school to a very small liberal arts school (personal reasons, received a decent scholarship)
Changed my major to english, hoping to bang out a couple 4.0 semesters since I'll have less distractions and will be living at home
I've been working a paid internship every school break (summer, winter) at a local government job

I'm interested in attending HYS and will start studying for the june lsat in january or february. I will not consider going to any school ranked lower than Cornell. So basically I wanted to know what I can be doing to now to maximize my chances of being accepted to HYS (specifically Stanford, as I am from the bay area). I know YS is a crapshoot for most, but want to do whatever I can to increase my chances.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sorry for any typos/grammatical errors, I'm on my phone.

I'm an AA male as well, the two most important things are going to be your GPA, and to a lesser extent (unless your GPA stays low) LSAT. AA Males tend to get the URM bump to their LSAT scores rather than their GPAs so unless you score in the high 160s or 170s you are going to need to get that GPA up a bit. As a personal point of reference I got into Harvard with a 160, 3.87 which may be a slight aberration based on Law School Numbers, but I think it does say a lot about how much top schools value a high gpa when factoring URM admissions. However, in retrospect, even though it all worked out, I really wish I would have studied more for the LSAT (I only really studied for about 3 weeks and didn't do a single practice exam). I got waitlisted at most t14 schools, and until I got off Harvard's waitlist was a bit disappointed with my cycle.

sfxx

Postby sfxx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:49 pm

saito816 wrote:
sfxx wrote:
I'm an AA male as well, the two most important things are going to be your GPA, and to a lesser extent (unless your GPA stays low) LSAT. AA Males tend to get the URM bump to their LSAT scores rather than their GPAs so unless you score in the high 160s or 170s you are going to need to get that GPA up a bit. As a personal point of reference I got into Harvard with a 160, 3.87 which may be a slight aberration based on Law School Numbers, but I think it does say a lot about how much top schools value a high gpa when factoring URM admissions. However, in retrospect, even though it all worked out, I really wish I would have studied more for the LSAT (I only really studied for about 3 weeks and didn't do a single practice exam). I got waitlisted at most t14 schools, and until I got off Harvard's waitlist was a bit disappointed with my cycle.

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to raise my gpa to at very least a 3.5 and I plan on dedicating 4-5 months studying hardcore for the lsat (of course both easier said than done)

What ec's did you have?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:02 pm

sfxx wrote:AA male

Ok, to get HYS you should be aiming to raise your GPA (3.5 would be great, but basically don't let it get much lower than your current level)

Then, if you should start thinking about when you want to take the LSAT/apply to law schools. Taking some time off in between UG and LS is very common, but if you decide to go straight through then you'll want to take the LSAT the June after junior year (at the latest). That gives you time to retake in September of your senior year if necessary.

Basically, focus on your GPA, and when the time comes put some serious time into studying for the LSAT. A 170+ LSAT with a 3.4+ GPA gives you a decent shot at HLS, although Stanford and Yale seem to have "black box" admission processes. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com if you're interested in stats of people who previously got into those schools.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY - enjoy college :D What I wouldn't give to be back in UG. You'll never get those years back, so have as much fun as possible.

sfxx

Postby sfxx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Moxie wrote:
sfxx wrote:AA male

Ok, to get HYS you should be aiming to raise your GPA (3.5 would be great, but basically don't let it get much lower than your current level)

Then, if you should start thinking about when you want to take the LSAT/apply to law schools. Taking some time off in between UG and LS is very common, but if you decide to go straight through then you'll want to take the LSAT the June after junior year (at the latest). That gives you time to retake in September of your senior year if necessary.

Basically, focus on your GPA, and when the time comes put some serious time into studying for the LSAT. A 170+ LSAT with a 3.4+ GPA gives you a decent shot at HLS, although Stanford and Yale seem to have "black box" admission processes. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com if you're interested in stats of people who previously got into those schools.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY - enjoy college :D What I wouldn't give to be back in UG. You'll never get those years back, so have as much fun as possible.

By black box admission you mean just totally random? What kind of ec's do they look for?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Why no lower than Cornell?

sfxx

Postby sfxx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:37 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Why no lower than Cornell?

I want big law.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 pm

sfxx wrote:

I want big law.

You've got a better chance at Biglaw with a law degree from Vandy than a BA in English.

sfxx

Postby sfxx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:44 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
sfxx wrote:

I want big law.

You've got a better chance at Biglaw with a law degree from Vandy than a BA in English.

I don't want to go to school in the south and I already have a job post graduation if I decide to work before law school. I don't personally feel law school is worth it paying tuition lower than Cornell, but everyone has different circumstances.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:49 pm

sfxx wrote:By black box admission you mean just totally random? What kind of ec's do they look for?

Seemingly random. High GPA is a necessity for non-URMs, and with your GPA you definitely want to get a very high LSAT score to compensate.

They also usually require good soft factors to get in (which seem to explain how many people with less than ideal numbers get in), but URM admissions there are a lot harder to figure out.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Moxie wrote:BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY - enjoy college :D What I wouldn't give to be back in UG. You'll never get those years back, so have as much fun as possible.

by far the most important advice in the thread. enjoy UG as much as possible and try to do as well as you can without killing yourself.

also, a year off isn't necessarily for everyone, but it was the smartest thing i did -- i didn't do a damn thing of consequence the whole time, maybe that cost me an admission or two, but who cares? :P

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”