AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Golden Boy
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm

AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby Golden Boy » Sat May 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Really curious to get opinions about how my stats will fare in the next URM cycle. My stats indicate splitter, but there is a caveat. I did my undergrad at Arizona years ago and was academically disqualified. I started from scratch and graduated Arizona in 2011 with a 3.94 in General Business. The problem is that the admin council counts all of your coursework, so my cumulative comes out to about a 2.7. I got a 171 score in December and my targets are ASU and Arizona. What do you think my chances are at either school, and could I possibly get in at a more national school? Should I retake the test?
Last edited by Golden Boy on Sat May 21, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby Grizz » Sat May 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Golden Boy wrote:so my cum comes out


As far as I got.

User avatar
Golden Boy
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby Golden Boy » Sat May 21, 2011 5:21 pm

rad law wrote:
Golden Boy wrote:so my cum comes out


As far as I got.


Thanks!

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:42 pm

You are an AA with a 171/2.7. Aim higher.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby shoeshine » Sat May 21, 2011 6:47 pm

You will get into both Arizona and ASU.

User avatar
Alltheirsplendor
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Sun May 22, 2011 11:44 am

dpk711 wrote:You are an AA with a 171/2.7. Aim higher.


Word.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby Corwin » Sun May 22, 2011 12:25 pm

With a 171 you can do a lot better. Several URMs with stats worse than yours got into NU last cycle. You should definitely try for NU, GULC. You can expect money at WUSTL. Good luck!

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby shoeshine » Sun May 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Do you have any good explanation for why you were academically disqualified? I am just thinking you need to write an addendum addressing that.

Maybe: Family Death, Illness, Divorce, Substance Abuse, Preparing for Rapture

User avatar
Golden Boy
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby Golden Boy » Sun May 22, 2011 11:56 pm

shoeshine wrote:Do you have any good explanation for why you were academically disqualified? I am just thinking you need to write an addendum addressing that.

Maybe: Family Death, Illness, Divorce, Substance Abuse, Preparing for Rapture


I guess my disqualification can be attributed to substance abuse, so yes, I will definitely be trying to write an addendum that does a good job explaining the situation without coming off as excuse making. I don't know how much I can polish up substance abuse and immaturity, but we'll see. From the feedback I've been getting, I understand admissions looks favorably on applicants who are trending well at the end of their academic career, so I'm hoping for a boost there.......

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 12:36 am

Golden Boy wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Do you have any good explanation for why you were academically disqualified? I am just thinking you need to write an addendum addressing that.

Maybe: Family Death, Illness, Divorce, Substance Abuse, Preparing for Rapture


I guess my disqualification can be attributed to substance abuse, so yes, I will definitely be trying to write an addendum that does a good job explaining the situation without coming off as excuse making. I don't know how much I can polish up substance abuse and immaturity, but we'll see. From the feedback I've been getting, I understand admissions looks favorably on applicants who are trending well at the end of their academic career, so I'm hoping for a boost there.......

I know little to nothing about addendums, but my instinct is that talking about substance abuse isn't the way to go. I think it's simple enough to stay that you weren't mature enough for college yet, grew up a bit, went back and did well.

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby YankeesFan » Mon May 23, 2011 12:57 am

Golden Boy wrote:I guess my disqualification can be attributed to substance abuse


This just means you drank too much...

chiach1
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby chiach1 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:01 am

Corwin wrote:
Golden Boy wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Do you have any good explanation for why you were academically disqualified? I am just thinking you need to write an addendum addressing that.

Maybe: Family Death, Illness, Divorce, Substance Abuse, Preparing for Rapture


I guess my disqualification can be attributed to substance abuse, so yes, I will definitely be trying to write an addendum that does a good job explaining the situation without coming off as excuse making. I don't know how much I can polish up substance abuse and immaturity, but we'll see. From the feedback I've been getting, I understand admissions looks favorably on applicants who are trending well at the end of their academic career, so I'm hoping for a boost there.......

I know little to nothing about addendums, but my instinct is that talking about substance abuse isn't the way to go. I think it's simple enough to stay that you weren't mature enough for college yet, grew up a bit, went back and did well.


+1

You never know who may be reading your apps, and the issues of substance abused may be deemed to risky. Plenty of people start off college immature and finally get their act together later down the road. That would be the best way to approach this situation.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby dkt4 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:32 pm

i actually think being honest and presenting your situation as it actually happened is valuable and will be read as such by many adcoms. admittedly, it's more risky (maybe go with a conservative approach at schools that aren't as much of a reach for you)...but i tend to think you can write a better essay/explanation if you actually believe what you're writing.

User avatar
Golden Boy
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby Golden Boy » Fri May 27, 2011 9:05 pm

dkt4 wrote:i actually think being honest and presenting your situation as it actually happened is valuable and will be read as such by many adcoms. admittedly, it's more risky (maybe go with a conservative approach at schools that aren't as much of a reach for you)...but i tend to think you can write a better essay/explanation if you actually believe what you're writing.


See, my instinct is telling me to be upfront too as I've been burned in the past by not being totally forthright. I am definitely tempted to be vague though. I guess there is no way to completely quantify the risks, it just depends on the adcom.

Corwin wrote:With a 171 you can do a lot better. Several URMs with stats worse than yours got into NU last cycle. You should definitely try for NU, GULC. You can expect money at WUSTL. Good luck!


The info you posted about NU and GULC definitely peak my interest; they're on my "in your dreams" list...........

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby dkt4 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 pm

i wrote my PS on a pretty controversial topic that I probably could've tried to hide...didn't seem to have any negative effect on my cycle - might've even been positive - so I'm inclined to suggest being forthright as much as possible.

User avatar
Flustercluck
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: AA, 2.7 LSAC GPA; What chances do I have?

Postby Flustercluck » Fri May 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Golden Boy wrote:
Corwin wrote:With a 171 you can do a lot better. Several URMs with stats worse than yours got into NU last cycle. You should definitely try for NU, GULC. You can expect money at WUSTL. Good luck!


The info you posted about NU and GULC definitely peak my interest; they're on my "in your dreams" list...........


Hi, I'm one of the URMs with stats worse than yours who got into NU last cycle. Basically being under 3.0 sucks, and to be honest you're pretty screwed for T14 other than GTown and NU due to the rest having pretty firm 3.0 GPA floors. NU is only gonna happen if you have work experience. Gtown should be pretty well likely for you, but you'll probably be paying sticker. That's it for "national" schools, but you could place very well and get a decent amount of $$$ depending on what regions you're looking at....




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PresidentIJohnson and 4 guests