New here- intro and a couple of questions (could be long)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
CoriOlivia

New here- intro and a couple of questions (could be long)

Postby CoriOlivia » Sat May 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Last edited by CoriOlivia on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

homestyle28

Re: New here- intro and a couple of questions (could be long)

Postby homestyle28 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:48 pm

So I have a couple of thoughts:

1) I'm sorry about your marriage and lost baby. My wife and I went through several miscarriages and while I doubt that even that compares to losing a baby at birth, it's a pretty terrible thing and I sympathize with the stress and toll that must have taken.

2) Undoubtedly this will come down to your LSAT, I think you're doing the right thing by taking it in June as a Sept. retake (if needed) remains an option. You've got to be honest with yourself about the kind of standardized test taker you are. If you're a stress = better performance then you have reason to be optimistic and hope for a better than testing average. Do make sure you're putting yourself under as realistic conditions as possible(i.e. time and 5 sections, etc.).

3) While maybe not the stuff of a personal statement, personally I think you're story is addendum worthy. It puts your grades into a larger perspective and tries to force that adcom to focus on your recent work. I'd just be short and to the point. "I married very young, we suffered a tragic loss that stressed my academic performance. My ability to recover should convince you of my abiliities" or some such thing.

4) Good luck! Crack 170 and I think you should be solid.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sat May 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoriOlivia

Postby CoriOlivia » Sat May 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Last edited by CoriOlivia on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:50 pm

I don't really have any relevant advice for you that you won't get elsewhere on here, but you sound like you got your head on right and I just wanted to wish you luck.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”