T14 Shot ?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby PinkCow » Fri May 06, 2011 1:37 pm

bfaiken wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Look, an African American with a 2.98 and a 160 last year got in YHSCCN, OK, get it? Get a 160, and you are looking at the T-14.

In 2008, an African-American Senator who had not yet served a full term was elected President. Therefore, if you are an African American, get elected to the Senate and you have an excellent chance to at least win your party's nomination before your term is up.



Image

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 06, 2011 1:43 pm

subtle wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Those examples aren't relevant; they're all black males and the OP is a black female. The numbers for black males are different from those of females, because there are even fewer black males available. To illustrate this, consider the first person, vdjenkins, who got into GW with a 3.01 and a 161. I'm a black female and I was flat out rejected with a 3.78 and a 162.


The difference isn't as dramatic as you claim. AA admits are hard to predict anyways.


Yeah, they can be hard to predict, so don't look at things like law school predictor, but I guarantee if you search LSN, AA males will do better overall than AA females with the exact same numbers.[/quote]
this is credited

serdog
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby serdog » Fri May 06, 2011 1:49 pm

URM are hard to predict however I would think 165+ would get OP into a T-14. Apply early I sure my cycle was much worst because I applied so late :(

User avatar
Flustercluck
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby Flustercluck » Fri May 06, 2011 2:03 pm

OP - Is your LSAC GPA 3.0? that 3.0 line is a huge line for much of the T14, save for Northwestern and maybe Georgetown.

GPA>3.0 you have a shot with a 164-165, definitely into mid T14 with 168-170
GPA<3.0 you have a shot shot with a 168-170, but nothing is definite due to the GPA floors, even with URM status (However, in this case if you score this well, enjoy a full ride to Illinois and WashU)

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby firemed » Sat May 07, 2011 11:00 am

Flustercluck wrote:OP - Is your LSAC GPA 3.0? that 3.0 line is a huge line for much of the T14, save for Northwestern and maybe Georgetown.

GPA>3.0 you have a shot with a 164-165, definitely into mid T14 with 168-170
GPA<3.0 you have a shot shot with a 168-170, but nothing is definite due to the GPA floors, even with URM status (However, in this case if you score this well, enjoy a full ride to Illinois and WashU)



Good point. LSAC GPA is often lower than school GPA... unfortunately. My 3.3 certainly didn't hold after LSAC went through my transcripts.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby subtle » Sat May 07, 2011 3:12 pm

firemed wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:OP - Is your LSAC GPA 3.0? that 3.0 line is a huge line for much of the T14, save for Northwestern and maybe Georgetown.

GPA>3.0 you have a shot with a 164-165, definitely into mid T14 with 168-170
GPA<3.0 you have a shot shot with a 168-170, but nothing is definite due to the GPA floors, even with URM status (However, in this case if you score this well, enjoy a full ride to Illinois and WashU)



Good point. LSAC GPA is often lower than school GPA... unfortunately. My 3.3 certainly didn't hold after LSAC went through my transcripts.



It could go up though. Mine did.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby dr123 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:17 pm

165 + a couple years WE might do it for NU

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby shoeshine » Sat May 07, 2011 3:32 pm

162+ and you have a shot at the bottom T14 because of your URMs status. 165+ and I think you a have a shot anywhere. I really think you should aim for a 170+ just to be sure and maybe get some scholarship money.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 07, 2011 3:37 pm

shoeshine wrote:162+ and you have a shot at the bottom T14 because of your URMs status. 165+ and I think you a have a shot anywhere. I really think you should aim for a 170+ just to be sure and maybe get some scholarship money.


i dont think a 3.0/165 has a shot at HYS

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby firemed » Sat May 07, 2011 3:48 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
i dont think a 3.0/165 has a shot at HYS


+1

(barring of course having amazing- and I mean actually amazing- softs)
Last edited by firemed on Sat May 07, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby shoeshine » Sat May 07, 2011 3:49 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
shoeshine wrote:162+ and you have a shot at the bottom T14 because of your URMs status. 165+ and I think you a have a shot anywhere. I really think you should aim for a 170+ just to be sure and maybe get some scholarship money.


i dont think a 3.0/165 has a shot at HYS


You may be right about that. Probably 170+ for HYS because that 3.0 doesn't go over well at HYS. But 165+ still works for a chance at T6. This all really depends on how strong the rest of your application is. URMs are judged more holistically than traditional candidates.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 07, 2011 3:50 pm

shoeshine wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
shoeshine wrote:162+ and you have a shot at the bottom T14 because of your URMs status. 165+ and I think you a have a shot anywhere. I really think you should aim for a 170+ just to be sure and maybe get some scholarship money.


i dont think a 3.0/165 has a shot at HYS


You may be right about that. Probably 170+ for HYS because that 3.0 doesn't go over well at HYS. But 165+ still works for a chance at T6. This all really depends on how strong the rest of your application is. URMs are judged more holistically than traditional candidates.


while true (on the holistic part), a big part of me says that unless she's an Olympic gold medalist, URM or not, she isnt getting into HYS with 3.0/165 lol

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby firemed » Sat May 07, 2011 4:23 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
while true (on the holistic part), a big part of me says that unless she's an Olympic gold medalist, URM or not, she isnt getting into HYS with 3.0/165 lol



I agree with you.... though I have heard you never know what Yale will do. I heard they let someone in with the above scores once... military service, some medals, non-URM if I remember correctly. Sorry I don't remember more, it has been a while. But shooting for that 1:5000 chance at Yale probably isn't worth it for most applicants.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 07, 2011 4:29 pm

firemed wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
while true (on the holistic part), a big part of me says that unless she's an Olympic gold medalist, URM or not, she isnt getting into HYS with 3.0/165 lol



I agree with you.... though I have heard you never know what Yale will do. I heard they let someone in with the above scores once... military service, some medals, non-URM if I remember correctly. Sorry I don't remember more, it has been a while. But shooting for that 1:5000 chance at Yale probably isn't worth it for most applicants.

:shock: prob a medal on par to an olympic gold lol

fish52
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby fish52 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Let's be honest... simply because OP is URM, 160+ will get her into T14. Stop underestimating the AA bump, people.

Mark71121
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby Mark71121 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:21 pm

black ppl with 160s are basically autoadmit into t14s

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby aliarrow » Sat May 07, 2011 6:28 pm

.
Last edited by aliarrow on Fri May 13, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby firemed » Sat May 07, 2011 7:01 pm

aliarrow wrote:I don't like where this is going...



Image
Last edited by firemed on Sat May 07, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecynic69
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby thecynic69 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:01 pm

bfaiken wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Look, an African American with a 2.98 and a 160 last year got in YHSCCN, OK, get it? Get a 160, and you are looking at the T-14.

In 2008, an African-American Senator who had not yet served a full term was elected President. Therefore, if you are an African American, get elected to the Senate and you have an excellent chance to at least win your party's nomination before your term is up.


+1. I LOLed.

Also, 165ish for lower T14 (I think 165 is where you will start to have a solid chance, though you can fluke in with a 160, I'm sure). 170+ for Penn range sounds about right, but I think there is going to be a lot of variability there--a 172 gives you a much stronger chance [170, 171 might end in waitlist drama]. Harvard is almost certainly out, and Stanford even more so [GPA whore it is]. If you have a killer story, then Yale with 172++, but I really mean killer...




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest