T14 Shot ?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

T14 Shot ?

Postby DavidYurman85 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:55 pm

What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen college grad
- aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff
Last edited by DavidYurman85 on Thu May 05, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu May 05, 2011 2:56 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


im not as sure for URMs, but with a 3.0, id say 170+ for a shot at bottom T14

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby bmore » Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

As a URM I really don't know. Can't a Law School Predictor help you?

User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby DavidYurman85 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:03 pm

bmore wrote:As a URM I really don't know. Can't a Law School Predictor help you?



predictor? it's been a long time since i've really been on the boards.

bfaiken
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:50 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby bfaiken » Thu May 05, 2011 3:07 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:
bmore wrote:As a URM I really don't know. Can't a Law School Predictor help you?



predictor? it's been a long time since i've really been on the boards.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

boom_cs
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby boom_cs » Thu May 05, 2011 3:14 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


Pretty crazy to be a first generation AA...

User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby DavidYurman85 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:27 pm

boom_cs wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


Pretty crazy to be a first generation AA...


i'll fix that for clarity :)

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby Capitol A » Thu May 05, 2011 3:49 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen college grad
- aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff

180 ought to do it.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 3:50 pm

boom_cs wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


Pretty crazy to be a first generation AA...


LOL just noticed this.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby PinkCow » Thu May 05, 2011 3:55 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


im not as sure for URMs, but with a 3.0, id say 170+ for a shot at bottom T14



Yeah 170 should put you in the running for at least Cornell and GULC on down. A few more points (>172ish) and you're looking at Penn range.

But you must know that 170 is a better score than 97% of all test-takers, so without any sort of diagnostic or anything, this is completely useless. Might as well assume you're starting out in the 150s and go from there.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm

You guys be underestimating AA boost. Mid 160's should give him a shot. There was someone on LSN with like a 3.1 and a sub 165 LSAT who got into Cornell.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby Capitol A » Thu May 05, 2011 3:59 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
boom_cs wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


Pretty crazy to be a first generation AA...


LOL just noticed this.

Yeah, parents must have been shocked!

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby Capitol A » Thu May 05, 2011 4:03 pm

PinkCow wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


im not as sure for URMs, but with a 3.0, id say 170+ for a shot at bottom T14


Yeah 170 should put you in the running for at least Cornell and GULC on down. A few more points (>172ish) and you're looking at Penn range.

But you must know that 170 is a better score than 97% of all test-takers, so without any sort of diagnostic or anything, this is completely useless. Might as well assume you're starting out in the 150s and go from there.

I wasn't trying to be funny when I said go for 180...OP hasn't mentioned any diagnostic, or previous LSAT score, so lets assume (s)he is starting from scratch. Why not shoot for 180? Then, instead of stressing over breaking the t14 at sticker (s)he will be deciding between lucrative scholly offers.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby aliarrow » Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm

.
Last edited by aliarrow on Fri May 13, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby Capitol A » Thu May 05, 2011 4:09 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Capitol A wrote:I wasn't trying to be funny when I said go for 180...OP hasn't mentioned any diagnostic, or previous LSAT score, so lets assume (s)he is starting from scratch. Why not shoot for 180? Then, instead of stressing over breaking the t14 at sticker (s)he will be deciding between lucrative scholly offers.


She wasn't asking what score to shoot for, just for what score would make her competitive for the T14 (the minimum score is implicit). The answer to which is approx 165ish. 162 for a solid T30.

Ahhh...RC fail. You're right.

edit:typing fail also.
Last edited by Capitol A on Thu May 05, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu May 05, 2011 4:21 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Capitol A wrote:I wasn't trying to be funny when I said go for 180...OP hasn't mentioned any diagnostic, or previous LSAT score, so lets assume (s)he is starting from scratch. Why not shoot for 180? Then, instead of stressing over breaking the t14 at sticker (s)he will be deciding between lucrative scholly offers.


She wasn't asking what score to shoot for, just for what score would make her competitive for the T14 (the minimum score is implicit). The answer to which is approx 165ish. 162 for a solid T30.


really? 165? i figured closer to 170 based on Lawschoolpredictor.com + URM (but outside of that i have no real knowledge lol)

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby aliarrow » Thu May 05, 2011 4:25 pm

.
Last edited by aliarrow on Fri May 13, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby DavidYurman85 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm

no diagnostic. just a a few looks at some of the prep material. a 180 would be ideal, but i wanted to know best and worse case scenarios. i don't have anything fun lined up for the summer, so i'll be able to devote time to lsat prep.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby BlaqBella » Fri May 06, 2011 8:14 am

DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen college grad
- aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


Hey DY, I definitely think you should shoot for at least a 160.

Some examples:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/vdjenkins

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/URMFTW


Your goal should ultimately be 180. Start studying ASAP. This test will open doors for you if you do extremely well (170+).

Also, apply early (before Thanksgiving)!

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby firemed » Fri May 06, 2011 8:56 am

whymeohgodno wrote:You guys be underestimating AA boost. Mid 160's should give him a shot. There was someone on LSN with like a 3.1 and a sub 165 LSAT who got into Cornell.


+1

URM boost can be huge if done well.

OP: Aim as high as you can. But a 165 + will get you into some of the T14. 170+ and a good story might even get you into one of HYS.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby subtle » Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen college grad
- aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


Hey DY, I definitely think you should shoot for at least a 160.

Some examples:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/vdjenkins

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/URMFTW


Your goal should ultimately be 180. Start studying ASAP. This test will open doors for you if you do extremely well (170+).

Also, apply early (before Thanksgiving)!


Those examples aren't relevant; they're all black males and the OP is a black female. The numbers for black males are different from those of females, because there are even fewer black males available. To illustrate this, consider the first person, vdjenkins, who got into GW with a 3.01 and a 161. I'm a black female and I was flat out rejected with a 3.78 and a 162.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm

subtle wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen college grad
- aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


Hey DY, I definitely think you should shoot for at least a 160.

Some examples:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/vdjenkins

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/URMFTW


Your goal should ultimately be 180. Start studying ASAP. This test will open doors for you if you do extremely well (170+).

Also, apply early (before Thanksgiving)!


Those examples aren't relevant; they're all black males and the OP is a black female. The numbers for black males are different from those of females, because there are even fewer black males available. To illustrate this, consider the first person, vdjenkins, who got into GW with a 3.01 and a 161. I'm a black female and I was flat out rejected with a 3.78 and a 162.


The difference isn't as dramatic as you claim. AA admits are hard to predict anyways.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby subtle » Fri May 06, 2011 1:07 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
subtle wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:What LSAT score would make me competitive for T14 schools?

info:
-3.0 gpa (lib arts from an hbcu)
-first-gen college grad
- aa/f
-worked full-time during ug
-competitive internships and public interest stuff


Hey DY, I definitely think you should shoot for at least a 160.

Some examples:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/vdjenkins

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/URMFTW


Your goal should ultimately be 180. Start studying ASAP. This test will open doors for you if you do extremely well (170+).

Also, apply early (before Thanksgiving)!


Those examples aren't relevant; they're all black males and the OP is a black female. The numbers for black males are different from those of females, because there are even fewer black males available. To illustrate this, consider the first person, vdjenkins, who got into GW with a 3.01 and a 161. I'm a black female and I was flat out rejected with a 3.78 and a 162.


The difference isn't as dramatic as you claim. AA admits are hard to predict anyways.


Yeah, they can be hard to predict, so don't look at things like law school predictor, but I guarantee if you search LSN, AA males will do better overall than AA females with the exact same numbers.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby dissonance1848 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Look, an African American with a 2.98 and a 160 last year got in YHSCCN, OK, get it? Get a 160, and you are looking at the T-14.

bfaiken
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:50 am

Re: T14 Shot ?

Postby bfaiken » Fri May 06, 2011 1:24 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Look, an African American with a 2.98 and a 160 last year got in YHSCCN, OK, get it? Get a 160, and you are looking at the T-14.

In 2008, an African-American Senator who had not yet served a full term was elected President. Therefore, if you are an African American, get elected to the Senate and you have an excellent chance to at least win your party's nomination before your term is up.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests