GLBT is a URM

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Lawquacious

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby Lawquacious » Fri May 20, 2011 9:42 pm

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Lawquacious wrote:.

:?:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri May 20, 2011 9:46 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
monarchylover wrote:No back in the cotton field days they just killed them or mutilated their genitals or tied them to a horse by their balls and dragged through the street or they put them in insane asylums... Rich gay white males who have been thrown out of their homes with no money and cannot qualify for any financial aid have it harder sorry especially excommunicated Mormons. Try being homeless in a society that you don't "qualify" to be homeless and in a community that veiws gay people like sex offenders...

Setting aside some of the other issues with this argument, can we Please stop talking about whose suffering has been worse or harder? There is no hierarchy of oppression, and it's incredibly counterproductive to talk about it like there is. It's impossible to say that this group has it worse than that group or vice versa since no two groups have been oppressed or subjugated in the exact same way; it's all different and unique to the group, the time, and the place. I think trying to qualify one group as having it better or worse goes a long way towards creating unnecessary schisms between minority groups, ignores the fact that there are a number of people that have membership in more than one minority group (the interactional nature of all of our social identities), and can be called counter-productive at best.

Love,

A radical queer black woman

Have I told you lately how much I love you? (:

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:.

:?:

I mentioned that the thread title could be misleading for a newbie, because GLBT is not considered URM (as far as I know; I think it does a slight boost akin to a low-level URM boost in many cases though). But that fact is clarified right away in the first post(s) of the thread, so anyone who is likely to be mislead by reading the title (who the issue is directly relevant to) would likely get clarification. But I deleted it for the reason that although the thread title could be misleading, the issues are clarified immediately, and people are busy discussing other things ITT. Best.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:13 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Have I told you lately how much I love you? (:

QFP :D

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:13 am

BLDGbloc wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
monarchylover wrote:No back in the cotton field days they just killed them or mutilated their genitals or tied them to a horse by their balls and dragged through the street or they put them in insane asylums... Rich gay white males who have been thrown out of their homes with no money and cannot qualify for any financial aid have it harder sorry especially excommunicated Mormons. Try being homeless in a society that you don't "qualify" to be homeless and in a community that veiws gay people like sex offenders...

Setting aside some of the other issues with this argument, can we Please stop talking about whose suffering has been worse or harder? There is no hierarchy of oppression, and it's incredibly counterproductive to talk about it like there is. It's impossible to say that this group has it worse than that group or vice versa since no two groups have been oppressed or subjugated in the exact same way; it's all different and unique to the group, the time, and the place. I think trying to qualify one group as having it better or worse goes a long way towards creating unnecessary schisms between minority groups, ignores the fact that there are a number of people that have membership in more than one minority group (the interactional nature of all of our social identities), and can be called counter-productive at best.

Love,

A radical queer black woman

Amen, sister!

I'm just glad someone else feels the same way!

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sat May 21, 2011 12:16 am

What the hell did I just walk in on?

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:47 am

naterj wrote:What the hell did I just walk in on?

A fail thread with a happy ending. Hth.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Sat May 21, 2011 4:07 pm

monarchylover wrote:
No back in the cotton field days they just killed them or mutilated their genitals or tied them to a horse by their balls and dragged through the street or they put them in insane asylums... Rich gay white males who have been thrown out of their homes with no money and cannot qualify for any financial aid have it harder sorry especially excommunicated Mormons. Try being homeless in a society that you don't "qualify" to be homeless and in a community that veiws gay people like sex offenders...

Thanks for this. I never had thought of the disadvantages of that particular segment of the gay population before.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat May 21, 2011 8:44 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Have I told you lately how much I love you? (:

QFP :D

No need to QFP, everyone knows I have a

(sorry I just have a lot of feelings really love mean girls ;_;)

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun May 22, 2011 8:38 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:No need to QFP, everyone knows I have a

I do too, which is confusing given my penis.

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun May 22, 2011 9:25 am

If we took seriously the diversity of viewpoints and "critical mass" justification in Grutter, we'd need more Ts (as in lgbT) at public schools. In reality, though, we don't, and SCOTUS was winking at what it knew was racial balancing.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:14 am

johnnyutah wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:No need to QFP, everyone knows I have a

I do too, which is confusing given my your penis.

FTFM :mrgreen:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”