GLBT is a URM

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
upyours

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:55 am

GLBT is a URM

Postby upyours » Sun May 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Why are GLBT people not URM?

User avatar
Bildungsroman

Platinum
Posts: 5529
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun May 01, 2011 8:15 pm

What evidence do you have that GLBT people are underrepresented in the legal field?

bk1

Diamond
Posts: 20072
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby bk1 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Because schools say so.

/thread

User avatar
dr123

Gold
Posts: 3497
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby dr123 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Probably because its harder to verify

User avatar
JG Hall

Bronze
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby JG Hall » Sun May 01, 2011 8:48 pm

I'd say the L and the T, not so much the G or the B.

paulinaporizkova

Gold
Posts: 2489
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun May 01, 2011 8:49 pm

because we're still rich and white

/thread

subtle

Silver
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby subtle » Mon May 02, 2011 4:49 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:because we're still rich and white

/thread


Speak for yourself. ;)

User avatar
Upton Sinclair

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby Upton Sinclair » Mon May 02, 2011 5:02 pm

dr123 wrote:Probably because its harder to verify


This. I would absolutely pull a Chuck and Larry if it got me into HYS.

User avatar
ResolutePear

Platinum
Posts: 8601
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby ResolutePear » Mon May 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
dr123 wrote:Probably because its harder to verify


This. I would absolutely pull a Chuck and Larry if it got me into HYS.

Sup.

User avatar
whirledpeas86

Silver
Posts: 1391
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby whirledpeas86 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:15 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:because we're still rich and white

/thread


No.

User avatar
johnnyutah

Gold
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby johnnyutah » Fri May 13, 2011 8:06 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:because we're still rich and white

/thread

Tell that to the black trans female sex workers I had for clients last summer.

User avatar
DoubleChecks

Gold
Posts: 2328
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri May 13, 2011 8:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:What evidence do you have that GLBT people are underrepresented in the legal field?


+1, and prob the verification issue adds to that

User avatar
Cupidity

Gold
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby Cupidity » Fri May 13, 2011 8:09 pm

1. GBLT are over-represented, at least at my school and in my market.

User avatar
Corwin

Bronze
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby Corwin » Fri May 13, 2011 8:13 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:because we're still rich and white

/thread

Tell that to the black trans female sex workers I had for clients last summer.

Well that's the point isn't it. The disadvantaged people within LGBT are usually URMs. Rich white gay people on the other hand really don't have that many problems. Trans people might be the only exception to this rule. Not sure if we have enough data to say whether they are underrepresented in the legal field though.
Last edited by Corwin on Fri May 13, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 am

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Fri May 13, 2011 8:13 pm

GLBT is a sexual orientation, not a racial background. Apparently, in law school, race > sexual orientation.

User avatar
Corwin

Bronze
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby Corwin » Fri May 13, 2011 8:14 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:because we're still rich and white

/thread

This is pretty narrow minded. The most disadvantaged people in the group you subscribe to are poor and minorities.

071816

Platinum
Posts: 5509
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby 071816 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:16 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
dr123 wrote:Probably because its harder to verify


This. I would absolutely pull a Chuck and Larry if it got me into HYS.

Sup.


LOL

User avatar
johnnyutah

Gold
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby johnnyutah » Fri May 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Corwin wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:because we're still rich and white

/thread

Tell that to the black trans female sex workers I had for clients last summer.

Well that's the point isn't it. The disadvantaged people within LGBT are usually URMs. Rich white gay people on the other hand really don't have that many problems. Trans people might be the only exception to this rule. Not sure if we have enough data to say whether they are underrepresented in the legal field though.

(1) My point was just that not all LGBT folks are rich and white.
(2) There are most certainly white LGBT individuals who suffer a great deal of disadvantage because of their LGBT status - they just don't live in the upper-middle-class coastal neighborhoods that most law students come from.

User avatar
Corwin

Bronze
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby Corwin » Fri May 13, 2011 8:20 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Corwin wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:because we're still rich and white

/thread

Tell that to the black trans female sex workers I had for clients last summer.

Well that's the point isn't it. The disadvantaged people within LGBT are usually URMs. Rich white gay people on the other hand really don't have that many problems. Trans people might be the only exception to this rule. Not sure if we have enough data to say whether they are underrepresented in the legal field though.

(1) My point was just that not all LGBT folks are rich and white.
(2) There are most certainly white LGBT individuals who suffer a great deal of disadvantage because of their LGBT status - they just don't live in the upper-middle-class coastal neighborhoods that most law students come from.

I hear ya. You didn't work at SRLP last summer did you?

User avatar
johnnyutah

Gold
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby johnnyutah » Fri May 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Corwin wrote:I hear ya. You didn't work at SRLP last summer did you?

No, but I've heard that they do good work.

ImpatientlyWaiting

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby ImpatientlyWaiting » Fri May 13, 2011 8:44 pm

The whole point of giving boosts to URMs is that they're underrepresented and disadvantaged as a group. There is no reason to think that sexual minorities would have a harder time getting into law school than straight people, and they aren't underrepresented. There is no need for a boost.

User avatar
ResolutePear

Platinum
Posts: 8601
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby ResolutePear » Fri May 13, 2011 8:48 pm

GLBT shouldn't be a URM, because sexual orientation should not come up in school or hiring.

User avatar
johnnyutah

Gold
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby johnnyutah » Fri May 13, 2011 8:59 pm

ImpatientlyWaiting wrote:There is no reason to think that sexual minorities would have a harder time getting into law school than straight people

I can think of some reasons that sexual minorities would have a harder time getting in to law school than straight people.

ImpatientlyWaiting

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby ImpatientlyWaiting » Fri May 13, 2011 9:01 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
ImpatientlyWaiting wrote:There is no reason to think that sexual minorities would have a harder time getting into law school than straight people

I can think of some reasons that sexual minorities would have a harder time getting in to law school than straight people.



Again, there's no evidence to suggest that they actually do have a harder time.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio

Gold
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: GLBT is a URM

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri May 13, 2011 9:07 pm

ResolutePear wrote:GLBT shouldn't be a URM, because sexual orientation should not come up in school or hiring.

And race should?



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests