Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:41 pm

kapachino wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:What if you were adopted into an African American family when you were just an infant but you aren't actually black?


No boost for you


Even if you lived in Africa most of your life etc etc?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:42 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
kapachino wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:What if you were adopted into an African American family when you were just an infant but you aren't actually black?


No boost for you


Even if you lived in Africa most of your life etc etc?

They can't showcase your "diversity" with a picture in the brochure, so no. No boost.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
kapachino wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:What if you were adopted into an African American family when you were just an infant but you aren't actually black?


No boost for you


Even if you lived in Africa most of your life etc etc?

They can't showcase your "diversity" with a picture in the brochure, so no. No boost.


What if you are one of those really rare cases where you have two black/african american parents but were born white. I read about this happening somewhere in England (they did a DNA test also).

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:44 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:What if you were adopted into an African American family when you were just an infant but you aren't actually black?

I think this ones debatable... Doesn't the question ask which ethnicity(s) you most closely identify with? If you've been raised by black people, then you may identify more with black people than with white people (and vice versa). The question doesn't ask what color your skin is.

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby powerlawyer06 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:53 pm

If you don't identify with the culture and you haven't had to deal with cultural stigma because you don't appear to be of this minority group then you should not put it down. I get very annoyed when people say they are 1/16th NA or 1/32nd AA and ask if they are a URM. If you have to ask then you are not.
Last edited by powerlawyer06 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Hell no.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:55 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:If you don't identify with the culture and you haven't had to deal with cultural stigma because you don't appear to be of this minority group then you should no put it down. I get very annoyed when people say they are 1/16th NA or 1/32nd AA and ask if they are a URM. If you have to ask then you are not.

If my great-great-great grandmother were African American, you can bet the house that I'd be checking that box all the way to HYS.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:55 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:If you don't identify with the culture and you haven't had to deal with cultural stigma because you don't appear to be of this minority group then you should no put it down. I get very annoyed when people say they are 1/16th NA or 1/32nd AA and ask if they are a URM. If you have to ask then you are not.


Point well taken, but not the case here. OP says he is North African. North Africans are explicitly placed within the category of "Caucasian" pursuant to official Department of Education classifications utilized by LSAC. Therefore, OP checks Caucasian. Simple as can be. All debate aside, let it at least be acknowledged that OP's question has been answered.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:59 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:If you don't identify with the culture and you haven't had to deal with cultural stigma because you don't appear to be of this minority group then you should not put it down. I get very annoyed when people say they are 1/16th NA or 1/32nd AA and ask if they are a URM. If you have to ask then you are not.


My grandfather was black (from Jamaica). My father's family (father, aunt, uncles, etc.) are mixed. Some of them look obviously mixed, some don't. I consider myself mixed race, though I basically look like a tan white person with dark eyes, and dark curlyish hair. I check more than one box. Are you annoyed by me?

User avatar
albusdumbledore
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby albusdumbledore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:06 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:If you don't identify with the culture and you haven't had to deal with cultural stigma because you don't appear to be of this minority group then you should not put it down. I get very annoyed when people say they are 1/16th NA or 1/32nd AA and ask if they are a URM. If you have to ask then you are not.


Dude 1/16th NA is a lot. That gets you carded.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby splitmuch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:08 pm

What about South African whites?

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:What if you were adopted into an African American family when you were just an infant but you aren't actually black?

I think this ones debatable... Doesn't the question ask which ethnicity(s) you most closely identify with? If you've been raised by black people, then you may identify more with black people than with white people (and vice versa). The question doesn't ask what color your skin is.


No, this isn't insulting at all. :/ It asks for the applicant's race, not the race of the adoptive family. No boost.

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby powerlawyer06 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
powerlawyer06 wrote:If you don't identify with the culture and you haven't had to deal with cultural stigma because you don't appear to be of this minority group then you should not put it down. I get very annoyed when people say they are 1/16th NA or 1/32nd AA and ask if they are a URM. If you have to ask then you are not.


My grandfather was black (from Jamaica). My father's family (father, aunt, uncles, etc.) are mixed. Some of them look obviously mixed, some don't. I consider myself mixed race, though I basically look like a tan white person with dark eyes, and dark curlyish hair. I check more than one box. Are you annoyed by me?


Only if you are marking something with which you don't personally identify. I understand your multiple check marks, I am half mexican and half Native American. I mark both. But for example I wouldn't mark NA if I hadn't been involved with the culture and traditions as a child. Through that experience and the fact that I volunteer with my tribe now I think I can uniquely identify with my Native American side. I don't really look native american necessarily, people definitely recognize me more as latin/mexican but since I have been involved with my tribe most of my life I feel okay about marking it.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:11 pm

splitmuch wrote:What about South African whites?




They're white. No boost.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:12 pm

dakatz wrote:

Once again, the official DOE definitions utilized by LSAC

"Black/African-American - A person having origins in any of the BLACK racial groups of Africa."

"Caucasian - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or NORTH AFRICA."

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:13 pm

kapachino wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:What if you were adopted into an African American family when you were just an infant but you aren't actually black?

I think this ones debatable... Doesn't the question ask which ethnicity(s) you most closely identify with? If you've been raised by black people, then you may identify more with black people than with white people (and vice versa). The question doesn't ask what color your skin is.


No, this isn't insulting at all. :/ It asks for the applicant's race, not the race of the adoptive family. No boost.

You seem awfully protective of your boost.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:14 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:
powerlawyer06 wrote:If you don't identify with the culture and you haven't had to deal with cultural stigma because you don't appear to be of this minority group then you should not put it down. I get very annoyed when people say they are 1/16th NA or 1/32nd AA and ask if they are a URM. If you have to ask then you are not.


Dude 1/16th NA is a lot. That gets you carded.



Only if you can prove it. I'm 1/8th Creek, but can't get a card.

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby powerlawyer06 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:15 pm

splitmuch wrote:What about South African whites?

The people whose parents and grandparents instituted apartheid?

NO BOOST

User avatar
albusdumbledore
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby albusdumbledore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:16 pm

kapachino wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Once again, the official DOE definitions utilized by LSAC

"Black/African-American - A person having origins in any of the BLACK racial groups of Africa."

"Caucasian - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or NORTH AFRICA."


How far back are we counting here? Because I thought everyone came out of Africa.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:16 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:What about South African whites?

The people whose parents and grandparents instituted apartheid?

NO BOOST


I didn't want to say it. :|

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:20 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:
kapachino wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Once again, the official DOE definitions utilized by LSAC

"Black/African-American - A person having origins in any of the BLACK racial groups of Africa."

"Caucasian - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or NORTH AFRICA."


How far back are we counting here? Because I thought everyone came out of Africa.


I know this is a bullshit post, but, the last sixty years at least. You can't get admitted based on your 1/100000000th blackness. Secondly, the "Out Of Africa theory is debatable.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby splitmuch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:22 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:What about South African whites?

The people whose parents and grandparents instituted apartheid?

NO BOOST


lolz at taking this seriously. Really people?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:22 pm

NO BOOST has meme potential.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:
kapachino wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:What if you were adopted into an African American family when you were just an infant but you aren't actually black?

I think this ones debatable... Doesn't the question ask which ethnicity(s) you most closely identify with? If you've been raised by black people, then you may identify more with black people than with white people (and vice versa). The question doesn't ask what color your skin is.


No, this isn't insulting at all. :/ It asks for the applicant's race, not the race of the adoptive family. No boost.

You seem awfully protective of your boost.


Given my interest in the history of blacks and Native Americans in this country, I am. My ancestors were seriously fucked over, so anytime someone with white privilege and no connection to anything remotely black or Native tries to use it to their advantage, I get pissed.

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Postby powerlawyer06 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:26 pm

kapachino wrote:Given my interest in the history of blacks and Native Americans in this country, I am. My ancestors were seriously fucked over, so anytime someone with white privilege and no connection to anything remotely black or Native tries to use it to their advantage, I get pissed.

+1




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests