Can a North African technically qualify as African American? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: Can a North African technically qualify as African American?

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Given my interest in the history of blacks and Native Americans in this country, I am. My ancestors were seriously fucked over, so anytime someone with white privilege and no connection to anything remotely black or Native tries to use it to their advantage, I get pissed.
Because the kid raised in Africa ever since he was two, by black parents, in black culture is granted white privilege. NO BOOST.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

splitmuch wrote:
powerlawyer06 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:What about South African whites?
The people whose parents and grandparents instituted apartheid?

NO BOOST
lolz at taking this seriously. Really people?

Some people don't think it's funny? Also, come back this fall, when someone with a 3.0 and a 154 on the LSAT and needs help getting in somewhere starts a thread just like this one.
Last edited by kapachino on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:NO BOOST has meme potential.
I prefer a "USE THE BOOST TO GET THROUGH!" meme. Star Fox... classic.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:28 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Given my interest in the history of blacks and Native Americans in this country, I am. My ancestors were seriously fucked over, so anytime someone with white privilege and no connection to anything remotely black or Native tries to use it to their advantage, I get pissed.
Because the kid raised in Africa ever since he was two, by black parents, in black culture is granted white privilege. NO BOOST.

That kid was granted white privilege by virtue of his birth. His ancestors are the reason we have these protections in the first place.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Uh oh... i sense a thread lock coming on....

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:30 pm

kapachino wrote: Given my interest in the history of blacks and Native Americans in this country, I am. My ancestors were seriously fucked over, so anytime someone with white privilege and no connection to anything remotely black or Native tries to use it to their advantage, I get pissed.
I was with you kapachino until you made this ridiculous statement. Don't make assumptions like "white privilege" please.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:30 pm

kapachino wrote:

Just curious, but do you view AA as reparative for past injustice or corrective of current opportunity imbalance?

And re: the South African comment. It wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to be an absurd example illustrating how technically being of "African" descent shouldn't qualify you for a boost.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:31 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:
kapachino wrote: Given my interest in the history of blacks and Native Americans in this country, I am. My ancestors were seriously fucked over, so anytime someone with white privilege and no connection to anything remotely black or Native tries to use it to their advantage, I get pissed.
I was with you kapachino until you made this ridiculous statement. Don't make assumptions like "white privilege" please.

White privilege isn't a figment of my imagination. It's a reality.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:32 pm

kapachino wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

That kid was granted white privilege by virtue of his birth. His ancestors are the reason we have these protections in the first place.
Yeah I'm sure Obama's kids will have to overcome some serious "fucking over" to do what they want.

While the white kid born living in an orphanage or abusive foster homes will enjoy his white privilege all the way to HYS.

NO BOOST.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:33 pm

splitmuch wrote:Just curious, but do you view AA as reparative for past injustice or corrective of current opportunity imbalance?
TCR is neither. It is the only means of ensuring diversity in higher education under the current system. If you believe diversity is a good thing in and of itself, then AA is stomachable.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:33 pm

I checked African-American despite being white and included an addendum detailing my evolution from Sub-Saharan apes thousands of years ago. Now I'm HYS

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:34 pm

While I do agree with you Kap. Lets not discuss "white privilege" here....this shit never goes well over the internet.

IBTL

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Just curious, but do you view AA as reparative for past injustice or corrective of current opportunity imbalance?
TCR is neither. It is the only means of ensuring diversity in higher education under the current system. If you believe diversity is a good thing in and of itself, then AA is stomachable.
Yeah, the lock is imminent

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:35 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:While I do agree with you Kap. Lets not discuss "white privilege" here....this shit never goes well over the internet.

IBTL
Blanket statements don't usually go well anywhere.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:TCR is neither. It is the only means of ensuring diversity in higher education under the current system. If you believe diversity is a good thing in and of itself, then AA is stomachable.
Probably since OP's question has already been asked, but I'm not sure why you chose to reference my rational comment over all the silly ones ITT in coming to this conclusion..

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:
I wasnt asking for the TCR I was asking for kapuchino's thoughts because he/she seems pretty set on the reparative aspect. I do believe though, that it is can be an imperfect way to correct opportunity imbalance.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:38 pm

splitmuch wrote:
kapachino wrote:

Just curious, but do you view AA as reparative for past injustice or corrective of current opportunity imbalance?

And re: the South African comment. It wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to be an absurd example illustrating how technically being of "African" descent shouldn't qualify you for a boost.

I see it for what it is, an attempt to even the playing field. Re: the SA thing...I was just talking. Not a big deal.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:39 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
kapachino wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Yeah I'm sure Obama's kids will have to overcome some serious "fucking over" to do what they want.

While the white kid born living in an orphanage or abusive foster homes will enjoy his white privilege all the way to HYS.

NO BOOST.

Their mother is black American, so they get the boost. Not only that, but Obama has black African origins, so they still get it. I'm sorry if you're offended at what I said. I don't think it's fair, but it's what we have to deal with. I'm sorry if that upsets you.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm

how's the job search going Romo?

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:49 pm

this is why i'm going to get my kids south african citizenship

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:51 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:how's the job search going Romo?
It's over?

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:51 pm

barry wrote:this is why i'm going to get my kids south african citizenship
Haven't you read the thread? NO BOOST.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
It's over?

Gotcha.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:00 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
It's over?
Gotcha.
Why?

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:TCR is neither. It is the only means of ensuring diversity in higher education under the current system. If you believe diversity is a good thing in and of itself, then AA is stomachable.
Probably since OP's question has already been asked, but I'm not sure why you chose to reference my rational comment over all the silly ones ITT in coming to this conclusion..
It was nothing against you personally, romo. I just know that the mods don't like AA debates because they tend to get nasty. ...but it seems to have died down now.

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”