I am looking for some hope....e

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
whattheheck

I am looking for some hope....e

Postby whattheheck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Just trying to look for some hope from some people who are splitters this cycle. There are days when I am super excited about going down this journey and there are days like today when I feel so defeated. I am hoping that a score of at least a 165 will at least get me considered despite my 2.7 gpa. Can I just receive some responses from splitters this cycle who were given the benefit of the doubt? I just need a little boost? Or can anyone send a link on this very thing?

BlaqBella

Re: I am looking for some hope....e

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:26 am

Which schools are you considering applying to?

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 am

Go to the 2010 splitters thread.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:48 am

I'm assuming you are an URM as you posted this in the URM thread? If so, TLS wisdom is that the urm's receive an LSAT boost but not a GPA boost. With this being said, in order to answer your questions we really need to know what schools you are looking at.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:06 am

socraticmethodman wrote:I'm assuming you are an URM as you posted this in the URM thread? If so, TLS wisdom is that the urm's receive an LSAT boost but not a GPA boost. With this being said, in order to answer your questions we really need to know what schools you are looking at.

This is completely 100% wrong. Schools are more forgiving of a lower LSAT than a lower GPA for URMs but URMs get a boost to both.

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:39 am

I will be applying to St. John's, Cardozo, Brooklyn and Fordham (Fordham being my #1 choice).

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 am

TyrodTaylor wrote:Go to the 2010 splitters thread.

Having trouble finding the link to the thread. Please pass it along if you can.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:50 am

whattheheck wrote:

I have no advice at all to give you, but I can find the thread:

Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=132923&hilit=2010+splitters

The thread looks weird because the OP edited out his/her post - but that link will take you to the thread, just scroll down.

Good luck.

PS. I would encourage you to take advantage of all the information you can find on this forum. People can help you decide where and when to decide, how to maximize your application, read your personal statement, and a whole lot more. This site is a good resource and I think it can be of help to you.

PPS. Try not to get down on yourself or the application process - it is very stressful for everyone, just make a list of stuff you need to do and do them one by one.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 am

2.4/164 Puerto Rican here.

In: Brooklyn, DePaul, Kent, Loyola, Villanova, Temple, SMU, American, Quinnipiac, St. John's, Miami, University of San Francisco, Hofstra, Rutgers-N, Penn State, Michigan State, Stetson. I think that's all of them, but I may have missed one or two.

Wait Listed: Cardozo, GW, IU-B, W&M, Iowa, and Loyola-LA.

I think a 2.7 and 165 (if you can score that), will do considerably better. My GPA is just too low, but its still been a solid cycle for me. The only positive is that my poor work was done prior to 2002, and I finished UG with a 4.0 over my last 39 credits. Good luck, getting into a solid law school is likely if you score well on the LSAT and craft a thoughtful application.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:10 am

OP, what are some of your softs? Any work experience?

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:30 pm

rose711 wrote:
whattheheck wrote:

I have no advice at all to give you, but I can find the thread:

Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=132923&hilit=2010+splitters

The thread looks weird because the OP edited out his/her post - but that link will take you to the thread, just scroll down.

Good luck.

PS. I would encourage you to take advantage of all the information you can find on this forum. People can help you decide where and when to decide, how to maximize your application, read your personal statement, and a whole lot more. This site is a good resource and I think it can be of help to you.

PPS. Try not to get down on yourself or the application process - it is very stressful for everyone, just make a list of stuff you need to do and do them one by one.

Thanks for the link and positivity!

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Justathought wrote:2.4/164 Puerto Rican here.

In: Brooklyn, DePaul, Kent, Loyola, Villanova, Temple, SMU, American, Quinnipiac, St. John's, Miami, University of San Francisco, Hofstra, Rutgers-N, Penn State, Michigan State, Stetson. I think that's all of them, but I may have missed one or two.

I think a 2.7 and 165 (if you can score that), will do considerably better. My GPA is just too low, but its still been a solid cycle for me. The only positive is that my poor work was done prior to 2002, and I finished UG with a 4.0 over my last 39 credits. Good luck, getting into a solid law school is likely if you score well on the LSAT and craft a thoughtful application.

Congratulations on the great cycle! Well I am hoping and praying that I will have success as well. I am just going to continue and go hard for this. I am so ready now to begin this chapter in my life.

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:41 pm

BlaqBella wrote:OP, what are some of your softs? Any work experience?

Yes. I graduated in 2000 and have been working in BIGLAW as a paralegal (mostly litigation, mass torts) for the past 8 years. I am a stay at home mom now. Have been for the past two years but have been active in the PTA and The Head Start program in my community as the head chairperson. I did an internship at the Westchester District Attorney's office in the Domestic Violence Unit and an internship at the Children's Center on my Campus. I worked thru college as an Office Assistant and an RA and was apart of the judicial committee I also held down jobs at a Retail Store and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden to make ends meet.... I think that sums it up.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:18 am

whattheheck wrote:

Yes. I graduated in 2000 and have been working in BIGLAW as a paralegal (mostly litigation, mass torts) for the past 8 years. I am a stay at home mom now. Have been for the past two years but have been active in the PTA and The Head Start program in my community as the head chairperson. I did an internship at the Westchester District Attorney's office in the Domestic Violence Unit and an internship at the Children's Center on my Campus. I worked thru college as an Office Assistant and an RA and was apart of the judicial committee I also held down jobs at a Retail Store and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden to make ends meet.... I think that sums it up.

Excellent. I ask because I've found the below LSN profiles that may be of interest to you:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/loosechange/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rqfisch/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/carlken/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Oban/jd

Assuming you are AA, you definitely have a good shot given your softs and what we hope will be at least a 160 LSAT. I think your focus right now should be LSAT and scoring very well (above 165). You can worry about your chances once the LSAT is out the way and we have a solid score to work with.

Good luck with your studies!!! :mrgreen:

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:41 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
whattheheck wrote:

Excellent. I ask because I've found the below LSN profiles that may be of interest to you:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/loosechange/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rqfisch/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/carlken/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Oban/jd

Assuming you are AA, you definitely have a good shot given your softs and what we hope will be at least a 160 LSAT. I think your focus right now should be LSAT and scoring very well (above 165). You can worry about your chances once the LSAT is out the way and we have a solid score to work with.

Good luck with your studies!!! :mrgreen:

You for the info. I was in need of some encouragement. No one around knows or understands my anxiety. Its nice to go somewhere and be understood and encouraged thru this process.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 pm

Justathought wrote:2.4/164 Puerto Rican here.

I think it's pretty safe you'd get into some of those WL, but I don't know how PR works. Based off this and LSN, I get the vibe law school is nicer to AA's than PR's.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”