African American??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
theonlyrij@gmail.com

African American??

Postby theonlyrij@gmail.com » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:14 am

Hey guys,

So I will be applying to law schools this coming October. I emigrated from South Africa a few years ago and am now an American Citizen. Now the question I have- could I put African-American on my transcript? My mom's family has lived all over Africa for many generations. I am not black though. I am not asking this to up my chances in to getting in a law school, but I would like to know if I qualify. My history teacher told me that I did, but I would definitely like as much input on this topic as possible.

Also, how do law schools go about checking that stuff? If I had no African blood in me I wouldn't be asking this question- but I haven't actually gotten a straight answer from anyone yet.

Would checking caucasian and African-American be better than just checking African-American? What about not checking anything at all and just writing about South Africa in my personal statement?

Thanks!!

whymeohgodno

Re: African American??

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:15 am

No

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:17 am

You're white. You know the answer to this.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:19 am

No, you would not be African American under the current definitions of the racial classifications used on law school apps. They realized that many people such as those from Northern Africa, and South Africa were picking African-American, when that is obviously not what they meant. So they closed that obvious loophole. The answer to this is pretty easy.

lightyourselfonfire

Postby lightyourselfonfire » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:11 am

Put what you want!! Don't listen to these guys!!! I put other and filled in Nazi American! I know I have Cardozo on lock with that one!!

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:49 am

theonlyrij@gmail.com wrote:Hey guys,

So I will be applying to law schools this coming October. I emigrated from South Africa a few years ago and am now an American Citizen. Now the question I have- could I put African-American on my transcript? My mom's family has lived all over Africa for many generations. I am not black though. I am not asking this to up my chances in to getting in a law school, but I would like to know if I qualify. My history teacher told me that I did, but I would definitely like as much input on this topic as possible.

Also, how do law schools go about checking that stuff? If I had no African blood in me I wouldn't be asking this question- but I haven't actually gotten a straight answer from anyone yet.

Would checking caucasian and African-American be better than just checking African-American? What about not checking anything at all and just writing about South Africa in my personal statement?

Thanks!!

nOO law

Postby nOO law » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:08 am

theonlyrij@gmail.com wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks!!

Are you asking for accuracy or are you just trying to beat the system?

skw

Postby skw » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:17 am

While you should not put African American in the check box you should absolutely reference your expreriences being from South Africa and becoming a naturalized citizen. This makes you unique and you may even tie it into the 'why I want to be a lawyer' or 'why X school' essay. There is definitely a 'right' way to work this into your app and IMO you will get more mileage from explaining why this makes you different than from just checking a box erroneously on the application.

Postby 20121109 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:45 am

Don't most applications say African American/Black ? Like African American is just the PC way to say black....

I wouldn't risk it.

skw wrote:While you should not put African American in the check box you should absolutely reference your experiences being from South Africa and becoming a naturalized citizen. This makes you unique and you may even tie it into the 'why I want to be a lawyer' or 'why X school' essay. There is definitely a 'right' way to work this into your app and IMO you will get more mileage from explaining why this makes you different than from just checking a box erroneously on the application.

And this but specifically the PS and/or DS.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 am

Definitely write about it in an addendum. Don't check AA. I, personally, wouldn't care, but I doubt it would bode well for you in the end.

nOO law

Postby nOO law » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Don't most applications say African American/Black ? Like African American is just the PC way to say black....

This. And I think the Caucasian/White is broken down on some applications to include Europe, Asia, Africa and "other".

lightyourselfonfire

Postby lightyourselfonfire » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:47 pm

nOO law wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Don't most applications say African American/Black ? Like African American is just the PC way to say black....

This. And I think the Caucasian/White is broken down on some applications to include Europe, Asia, Africa and "other".

They should have Northern Irish American and Irish American and Dirty Brit American

theonlyrij@gmail.com

Postby theonlyrij@gmail.com » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks guys!! That really does help! I appreciate it!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”