Question about URM

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
gatorlaw

Question about URM

Postby gatorlaw » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:07 am

Last edited by gatorlaw on Thu May 23, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Re: Question about URM

Postby Knock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:10 am

gatorlaw wrote:I understand that as a "Hispanic" I am not technically considered an URM but perhaps my situation is a little different. I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and moved to the U.S when I was 13, knowing no English. I am not an American citizen (I currently hold a green card). I am a dual citizen of Argentina/Italy.

Coming from a country where at-risk youth are highly neglected, I got involved with various projects concerning the stability of children as soon as I moved to the U.S. I founded an organization that works in conjunction with local & international partners to help at-risk youth ,I work for Guardian Ad Litem, I worked for a non-profit helping children in Colombia, I am a TA,I conduct research, I am working on a thesis, I am the president of an honor society, and I am at the top of my class ( I currently have a 4.0). I think those may add up to decent "softs."

The LSAT ;however, is an entirely different story. English is my second language and I am having an incredibly hard time with the language (logic games go fairly well for me.) Will scoring in the high 150's ruin my chance at top 14 schools? Are immigrants' LSAT scores given special considerations...or am I just SOL? Will this play any role in my app?

Thanks! I truly appreciate any advice.

You won't see the more traditional URM boost, but your experience and background should lend itself to a really interesting personal statement. Unfortunately, you won't get any special consideration for English not being your first language or being an immigrant.

If you score in the high 150's you won't get any T-14 acceptances. You're going to need in the high 160's at least to give yourself a shot.

This thread may be informative to you: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=133626.

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:27 pm

I'd recommend you work on your language skills as much as you can. The language used in cases can be difficult, and you will be evaluated on your writing ability.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:29 pm

Plenty of non mexican/puerto rican hispanics have gotten URM boost. I wouldn't count on it but it's pretty common.

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Last edited by ziggie on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:52 am

OP since you have a 4.0, score at least a 163 and ED to a lower T-14. I'd say you have a good shot.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”