Tragedy Related to Disadvantaged Background in LOCI? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ChemistryMatters

New

Tragedy Related to Disadvantaged Background in LOCI?

Post by ChemistryMatters » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm a URM but more significantly (at least to me) I come from an abusive and disadvantaged home (In my DS I wrote about how as an adult I realized the significance of being an URM on my family's situation). Too make a long story (somewhat) short:

My grandfather was murdered in July 2010. His murder was related to my extended family's series of lifelong bad decisions. There are elements to this story that made the situation particularly horrible. It is a fairly famous case in the state where it occurred -- there have been press conferences and news cameras and I've been photographed and all that.

I was engaged and planning a wedding during this time as well.

I did not mention this in my applications because I did not want to the AC to get the feeling that my family is so crazy that it would prevent me from focusing on law school.

The issue is this: I hit a real low after the murder but since then I have grown as a person more than I could ever have imagined. I went so low that I knew something had to change once and for all. I have renewed faith in a higher power, went through with my wedding and feel a whole new sense of clarity. I have begun volunteering at my place of worship, tutoring math and chemistry and even leading a group for other women there.

Would you recommend mentioning all this craziness (in an objective as possible way) in an LOCI as a significant development that is relevant to pursuing a law degree?

Thanks!

LLB2JD

Silver

Re: Tragedy Related to Disadvantaged Background in LOCI?

Post by LLB2JD » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:09 pm

I am not sure how you'd be able to incorporate this into a LOCI, since they are generally meant to just reiterate your interest/update any new developments. Your story, however, would have made for a heck of a personal statement though.

I'm not sure what to say, but my inclination would be to say that the information might not work as a LOCI. Did you apply to the school late? How long have you been waiting for a response?

ChemistryMatters

New

Post by ChemistryMatters » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm currently on the waitlist at my top choice school. From what I've read, an LOCI is an acceptable place to briefly mention significant recent events in one's life -- only as long as said event may have significant impact on the applicant's contribution to and/or potential performance in LS. I was thinking of only briefly mentioning what happened as a further example of how I have "overcome adversity," learning from my life experiences to grow stronger. I have also learned a lot more about the justice system (in at least some parts of the country) and the effect socioeconomic status and local politics have on the system.

Also, I've read that one concern admissions committees have is whether or not an applicant is mature enough to withstand the pressures and work load of LS. I'm quite good at dealing with pressure.

I'll welcome further thoughts!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:27 pm

ChemistryMatters wrote:From what I've read, an LOCI is an acceptable place to briefly mention significant recent events in one's life -- only as long as said event may have significant impact on the applicant's contribution to and/or potential performance in LS. I was thinking of only briefly mentioning what happened as a further example of how I have "overcome adversity," learning from my life experiences to grow stronger. I have also learned a lot more about the justice system (in at least some parts of the country) and the effect socioeconomic status and local politics have on the system.
I'm confused how your grandfather's murder has anything to do with the bolded. Either way, it doesn't seem like an LOCI is the appropriate place to mention this.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:14 pm

I agree with what everyone has said...

The place for such a story is in either the PS or DS. Not the LOCI.

Good luck!

ChemistryMatters

New

Post by ChemistryMatters » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Moxie wrote:
ChemistryMatters wrote:From what I've read, an LOCI is an acceptable place to briefly mention significant recent events in one's life -- only as long as said event may have significant impact on the applicant's contribution to and/or potential performance in LS. I was thinking of only briefly mentioning what happened as a further example of how I have "overcome adversity," learning from my life experiences to grow stronger. I have also learned a lot more about the justice system (in at least some parts of the country) and the effect socioeconomic status and local politics have on the system.
I'm confused how your grandfather's murder has anything to do with the bolded. Either way, it doesn't seem like an LOCI is the appropriate place to mention this.
Because of the specifics of the event, dealing with what happened was the most emotionally difficult thing I've ever experienced. A local place of worship really reached out to me and my family, which has lead to a very sincere increased desire to be involved in my community -- resulting in increased volunteering of my time (mostly by tutoring underprivileged kids in math and science -- I was charging quite a lot for my services as a private tutor). It would be a way to to explain the impetus for a change in my priorities. It has also made me a much strong person.

The primary purpose of the LOCI is to reiterate my interest in this school as my top choice -- but I would also provide a brief update on what I've been doing with my time since submitting the application (perhaps an updated resume).

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:38 pm

I don't think that sending in an LOCI will hurt you at all. Although it would be better for a DS or PS, you don't have that option anymore because you've already sent in your PS/DS. I'm all for keeping your potential law school updated, so I would say do it.

silver7

New

Post by silver7 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:47 pm

If you have been in any sort of consistent contact with admissions officers at any law school call and ask them what they think. It's their job to council potential students.

In my opinion though, I don't think it's a great story to tell in any sort of statement. However, If you still want to write an LOCI try visiting a few of the schools and writing and about your experience.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”