Underrepresented State?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
dr123

Underrepresented State?

Postby dr123 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:26 pm

So yea, I've heard being from an underrepresented state gives you a boost in admissions? Can anyone confirm or deny this? It sounds a tad fishy to me.

I wasnt quite sure where to post this thread and this seemed like my best bet, so bear with me.

Moxie

Re: Underrepresented State?

Postby Moxie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:30 pm

Maybe, just so law schools could claim geographical diversity? I have no evidence to support this idea, and I assume it would only have a very slight and marginal impact.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:31 pm

:roll:

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:43 pm

Moxie wrote:Maybe, just so law schools could claim geographical diversity? I have no evidence to support this idea, and I assume it would only have a very slight and marginal impact.

Schools do like geographic diversity, but this is more like a tiebreaker between you and yet another reach from their local market. Your app better already be good enough to deserve consideration. It's sure not going to be much of a real boost.

And that's assuming you have a reason to be there. You're not getting into UCLA just because you're from Boston, you'd better have reasons for wanting to be in LA (or at least in CA), or for wanting UCLA as a school. Otherwise they may assume you'd prefer a Northeast school anyway if you get into one. As an example.

fetalposition

Postby fetalposition » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:54 pm

This is definitely true for undergraduate admissions at some schools, though I'm not sure if it carries over to law schools. I remember hearing somewhere that students from North Dakota have something like a 50% better chance than the average student at getting into Harvard (undergrad). Don't quote me on the exact statistic.

In addition, I go to a national school that tries to get students from all 50 states just so they can say on their website "we have students from all 50 states." I know this because one of my friends here is 1 of 2 students in my entire class from the state of Vermont, and apparently, admissions called him multiple times trying to convince him to attend. He didn't even have above average numbers... just from Vermont.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”