Mexican URM asking for advice

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bk1

Re: Mexican URM asking for advice

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:29 pm

silver7 wrote:Most people on this thread think a 3.1 is a hopeless GPA. It's not at all. If you score a 170, let's say, you should have a chance at some T14's. And if not, take a bunch of cash from some other great schools. Many on this site have the "T-14 or I will never ever get a job and Jane won't mary me, and I'll have to live in Cleveland and I will have to work the worst job ever!" attitude. Do as well as you can, and take a scholly to a great school.

People in this thread are not saying this at all.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:39 pm

thecynic69 wrote:Entering in 3.1, 172 into LSP yields denies at the top 7ish, considers for the next few, and a straight admit only at Cornell (which I hear is a bit more LSAT-focused than similarly ranked schools).
LSP is well-known for underestimating the chances of splitters and URMs. It's better to trust the people in this thread who know how OP's specific situation would likely turn out than a simple predictor tool that, while useful, is not perfect especially in these kind of situations.

thecynic69 wrote:"Pretty much a lock at a lot of T14s" is not a good analysis of a 3.1/172/URM cycle...sorry.

What would be a "good analysis" to you? "Pretty much a lock at one or more T14s"? At "two or more"? Both of those statements are true, I assure you. Without actually reading OP's PS and seeing the rest of his app I can't make a perfect prediction, but 3.1/170+/URM ought to have multiple T14 acceptances unless they screwed something up terribly somewhere.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:55 pm

3.0x, low 170s Mexican/White applicant here, and I really have no idea what to think (the lack of other splitter URMs really makes it tough). Ideally I would love one of UCLA or USC,or MVP (w/ Cornell thrown in somewhere). Sometimes I think I might get one or two w/ regular decision, and sometimes I think I might end up getting shut out altogether. Guess we'll just have to blanket and hope for the best.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Revolver066 wrote:3.0x, low 170s Mexican/White applicant here, and I really have no idea what to think (the lack of other splitter URMs really makes it tough). Ideally I would love one of UCLA or USC,or MVP (w/ Cornell thrown in somewhere). Sometimes I think I might get one or two w/ regular decision, and sometimes I think I might end up getting shut out altogether. Guess we'll just have to blanket and hope for the best.

I'll PM you too.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:12 pm

As a Latino applicant, I've found that a connection to my culture through my diversity statement, personal statement, and resume activities was quite important in getting me some of my top choices. I've seen other Latino applicants with numbers similar to mine who didn't get their top choices, and by and large, these applicants didn't write diversity statements and aside from their names they seemed very similar to "mainstream" applicants in that they didn't have a visible connection to their culture. Now, some of these people did indeed have solid connections to their heritages, but they never made this apparent, and I think their applications suffered because of this.

Just my two cents.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”