Any opinions would be helpful!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
glmrgirl717

Any opinions would be helpful!

Postby glmrgirl717 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:26 pm

A little background: I just turned 30 and I am finishing up my bachelor's online at Thomas Edison State College (one of NJ's public universities). I was the classic overachieving burnout. After straight A's in high school, I moved across country to NYC and took an entry level job in the entertainment industry where I have been ever since. I went to college a couple of semesters here and there, but never plowed through. I got the drive to finish and "do something more with my life" last year. I chose Thomas Edison State College because they allowed me the most flexibility in transferring all of my past college credits, including the ones earned during high school as well as testing for credit out of several courses. In 5 months, I will have my BS in Accounting. Now that I am on a roll, I am seriously considering law school. The legal system and it's injustices has always interested me and now that finish line is not some far off unattainable goal, I'm ready to give it a go. My gpa from TESC is currently 3.9, however that is only cumulated from the 6 classes that I actually took at TESC. The rest of the credits just show up as CR on my transcript. On a hunch, I took the Practice LSAT just to see where I am at and I scored a 176. Since all of you have much more experience in this arena than I do, what obstacles am I facing in getting into a decent law school. I'm not necessarily shooting for T14. Hell, CUNY Law interested me, if for no other reason than their affordable tuition and great clinical program. I would gladly go to a lower tiered school if it meant a free ride. I just don't know if I am wasting my time considering this now with my small name online degree. But it does seem as if URM's are in great demand in the legal world. Any suggestions would be great!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pleasye

Re: Any opinions would be helpful!

Postby Pleasye » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:37 pm

What exactly are you asking? If you can get into a law school?

First of all, you should try to calculate your LSAC GPA (they take into account ALL of your college classes, not just the ones from the college you graduated from). Sometimes people have GPA's that are much much lower than they expected because they didn't think all of those classes would count. Not sure if this is your case, but just throwing it out there because your story sounds like one where that might happen.

Was the practice LSAT you took timed and in realistic conditions? (If you took it in sections throughout the day or didn't time yourself then you probably scored much higher than you would on the real thing).

Online colleges are obviously not considered prestigious but a GPA is a GPA and it probably won't count against you too much.

Being a URM does give you a boost in admission (what kind of URM are you?). Keep in mind that minority =/= URM for law school admissions.
Last edited by Pleasye on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glmrgirl717

Postby glmrgirl717 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Pleasye,

I ran my credits through the LSAC calculator. Including all of my past transcripts, I come up with 3.65. I'm confused about how my Exam credits (CLEP, Dante, ACE, etc) factor in, though. Everything that I've read indicates that they don't factor in at all. However, they count for over half of my undergrad credits, so I have a hard time believing that.

As far as the LSAT, I purchased the official October '10 test from lsac.org and timed myself on a quiet Saturday afternoon. The main thing that has benefited me throughout my scholastic career is the ability to test well. I scored a 1440 on my SAT in high school with minimal prep. It hurts to admit that because I let it go to waste for so long.

The main question that I'm putting out there is if I have the chance to get accepted to a GOOD law program. Like I said before, I would be happy to go to CUNY, but most people are advising me against it. I'm being told that in this current environment, if you can't go big, don't go at all.

I'm a biracial (African American/Caucasian) female. But I always identify as AA when asked.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:32 pm

If you come up with a 3.65 then that's great (I mean, obviously your 3.9 is higher but some people see drops below 3.0 when they calculate their GPA's). Do you have any punitive withdrawals that could count against you? I'm not sure how your test scores are taken into account but I don't think that they count in your GPA. Only college credits (CC's taken in high school or college, 4 year colleges etc) are counted. I could totally be wrong about that so hopefully someone else will jump in and tell you about that.

If you can do well on the LSAT and your GPA really is a 3.65 or something around there then you have a good shot at the T14 and a great shot at good schools. You should shoot way higher than CUNY.

I think the only thing that can really count against you here is the fact that your undergrad degree will be from an online college. Those colleges (as I'm sure you're aware) carry a negative stigma. However, LS admissions is such a numbers game that I don't think it will make a huge difference.

pixytree

Postby pixytree » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:03 pm

You should do well in the T14. Just keep taking practice tests to get familiar with the test-they can throw curve balls sometimes.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”