How will you pay it forward???

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Mce252

Re: How will you pay it forward???

Postby Mce252 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Last edited by Mce252 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:20 pm

For future reference, I consider it slightly racist to drop into a thread about minority law students and summarily tell them to "stay off entitlement programs". At a minimum it's the kind of statement that can obviously spark a nasty race/politics debate, and I don't believe those kind of debates belong here. That kind of stuff is offensive enough to start some nasty arguments, even if it's not meant that way, so I want it to stop.

And I have a hammer.

Anyone who wants to debate "entitlement programs", or whether telling minorities to stay off them is racist or at least thoughtless, can do it in the Lounge. Anyone who wants to keep discussing them here can find out what the hammer feels like.

Now that that's clear, please carry on.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:49 am

back on topic sort of...

it has been my overwhelming experience that URMs in high places do actively participate in things to "give back." there are certainly some who do not, and folks can debate the relative worth of things like donated money, time, career orientation, etc. I personally believe that $ is needed as much, or more, than anything else, but that's just me.

sadly, there will always be people uninterested in giving back to their communities regardless of their background. sadder still, to me, is when URMs (specifically black folks, cause I am a part of that community) begin to distance themselves intentionally from their communities because they perceive it as lesser in some way - and i don't mean things as mundane as moving 'out of the hood', etc.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:40 am

alexonfyre wrote:
whattheheck wrote:Not exactly the response I was looking for but still nice to look at :wink:
I looooooove me some Johnny Depp...hmmm

Being personally responsible for immigration reform in this country.

Also, getting plastic surgery to look more like Johnny Depp, as that is helpful to all communities.

There are better-looking white dudes out there: John Stamos, David Beckham, Jude Law, Marcus Shenkenberg, Jason Lewis and Alex Lundquist (the latter three being top male models), etc. Not gay, but just sayin'...

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Either way, I think your attitude is great and inspiring for some. I wouldn't worry so much about other people and focus on the positive. The minorities in Big Law that are actually cold to other minorities seeking advice have their own issues as to why they feel that wa. Most are really helpful, certainly in my experience. Have you experienced this treatment yourself? Like someone actually blew you off or something?[/quote]

Unfortunately I have and I have also seen it amongst the minority attorneys. A few left disappointed because of the experience. The ones that did stay sort of...I can I put this... did everything they could to not appear a minority. They assimilated. They totally ignored other minorities by not even saying hello or by bad mouthing them. Any minority from the mailroom to opposing counsel were ridiculed. Of course there one or two who just were not in the mix of anything were loners.

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Im not asking to be an asshole, I knew of one AA attorney who was pretty rude to some AA but not ones he felt were worthy according to his standards. I worked with him at a mid sized firm. He was nice to me, but I saw him blow off quite a few ppl. But he had major identity issues and wouldnt understand the concept of paying it forward if Jesus came and explained it to him.[/quote]

I understand. I have had one that was nice to me but seem to jump on the bandwaggon when someone told her that I have an attitude. I thought that since she was grown and had already gotten to me that she would not follow along but she did. I don't fault her much. I felt sorry for her. And watching that happen actually made me put of law school until now. I was able to get out of the rat race and feel that desire to go again.

whattheheck

Postby whattheheck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
dey206 wrote:
dey206 wrote:Im not asking to be an asshole, I knew of one AA attorney who was pretty rude to some AA but not ones he felt were worthy according to his standards. I worked with him at a mid sized firm. He was nice to me, but I saw him blow off quite a few ppl. But he had major identity issues and wouldnt understand the concept of paying it forward if Jesus came and explained it to him.

This has also been my experience. Of those minorities that actually have the network and potential income to make a difference, most aren't interested in paying anything forward. Reasons can vary from entitlement issues, being too focused on getting ahead or paying off that debt. Moreover, a number do not believe in defining their community on the basis of race or SES. Community is defined more along the lines of future offsprings or immediate family members. I've heard similar stories 5 years ago by HYSCCN etc URM graduates all of whom are still slaving away in BIGLAW. The few that went on to stay in pro bono started with pro bono. Seldom do you find BIGLAW experienced URMs willing to sacrifice half their paycheck to help those in need.

What is so crazy is that these people think that that's what they have to do in order to give back. Yes giving cash is nice but not always necessary. I have seen plenty of attorneys have some friend's son or daughter come in and observe them in action for about a week. They would get permission for the higher ups and voila! A sneak peak at what they do day to day for an aspiring attorney. Its the little things that can do so much.

No one wants to be a pioneer.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Become a board member of the non-profit that you did grunt work for in your pre-law days. Thats my plan.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:48 pm

I try to offer advice whenever anyone mentions that they are interested in law school. More people need to hear about the Powerscore Bibles, and about TLS.

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 am

Thirteen wrote:I try to offer advice whenever anyone mentions that they are interested in law school. More people need to hear about the Powerscore Bibles, and about TLS.

Tell 'em!

Haha but seriously this is a WONDERFUL way to help people. It's surprising just how many people there are who don't know about these tools.

dchunny614

Postby dchunny614 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:00 am

I have had 2 non- profit ideas since high school and plan on starting those after I complete law school and begin my career. One is for underprivileged teens and the other for convicted felons and those recently released from prison. I always had this idea growing up that I could save all the Black people. I came to realize that not everyone wants to be saved, but I'm going to do my best to help those who need my help.

boosk

Postby boosk » Sun May 15, 2011 11:22 am

alexonfyre wrote:I worked in Louisiana for one week. It convinced me I never want to engage in practicing law there again for as long as I live.

Just curious about this statement, since I'm considering Tulane. What happened?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun May 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Thirteen wrote:I try to offer advice whenever anyone mentions that they are interested in law school. More people need to hear about the Powerscore Bibles, and about TLS.

Definitely a great way to help prospective students. Damn, now I'm feeling like I should do some free tutoring while I have a little free time at the end of the summer.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:36 pm

In all honesty I've never been interested in community service. I have 4 nephews and a niece and their moms are struggling. I've always found it pointless for me to tutor at the local high school when my family needs my help. I plan to first help myself and in the process help my family. And the closest I will come to community service is be an investor in local business, which I guess is my way of paying it forward. I'll mentor young people too if I'm asked by someone, but no I'm not going out looking to mentor anyone. I'm about my family, they are priority and as such my obligation is to them. Don't get me wrong I'm certainly about encouraging the next generation. Even with my current non-legal position I'm constantly talking to folks who are interested in working in this field. They email me or call asking if I mind talking to them, I say sure and I make myself available for them. But I'm not joining a million organizations just for namesake.
But I guess I should say that I don't plan to sell my soul for some big law firm. I want to become a prosecutor or somewhere within the human rights world. International criminal law is my dream.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:51 am

I totally agree with the above post. Family always comes first, and I will always be more eager to help those who ask for my input. Maybe if I had more time or money, I'd be willing to volunteer more of my time or money, but they're finite, and I need to make sure my family is in a good position before going off to help random strangers.

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Moxie wrote:I totally agree with the above post. Family always comes first, and I will always be more eager to help those who ask for my input. Maybe if I had more time or money, I'd be willing to volunteer more of my time or money, but they're finite, and I need to make sure my family is in a good position before going off to help random strangers.

You never have time, you make it.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:09 pm

I pretty much want to change the world. I want to start a countrywide mentoring program with inner city communities and black professionals. I want to start by having it as an athlete wide type (since I hope to become a sport agent) of thing and then venture into the arts and then into law/business/medicine.
I also want to start a convict release sports organization that would give convicts jobs as coaches/ mentors in inner city- communities.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Quan292 wrote:I pretty much want to change the world. I want to start a countrywide mentoring program with inner city communities and black professionals. I want to start by having it as an athlete wide type (since I hope to become a sport agent) of thing and then venture into the arts and then into law/business/medicine.
I also want to start a convict release sports organization that would give convicts jobs as coaches/ mentors in inner city- communities.

that's a pretty cool idea

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”