Minority female considering her options

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ashleykj1121

Minority female considering her options

Postby ashleykj1121 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:32 am

Hello

I'm a black female who has been offered a full scholarship to attend Bowen Law School in Arkansas. I'm from SC so the southern thing doesn't bother me. I was wondering if anyone knew the job statistics for this school or was familiar with it. I don't know if being Black will help or hurt my job hunt in the legal field. I am also being considered for a full scholarship to Quinnipiac in CT but I'm waiting to see if I get it before making any sound commitments. Does anyone have an opinion over one school vs. the other?

Note: I've also received scholarships to several other schools but these are the only two that are giving full tuition.

BlaqBella

Re: Minority female considering her options

Postby BlaqBella » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:46 pm

ashleykj1121 wrote:Hello

I'm a black female who has been offered a full scholarship to attend Bowen Law School in Arkansas. I'm from SC so the southern thing doesn't bother me. I was wondering if anyone knew the job statistics for this school or was familiar with it. I don't know if being Black will help or hurt my job hunt in the legal field. I am also being considered for a full scholarship to Quinnipiac in CT but I'm waiting to see if I get it before making any sound commitments. Does anyone have an opinion over one school vs. the other?

Note: I've also received scholarships to several other schools but these are the only two that are giving full tuition.

Ashley, it completely depends on where you see yourself after law school. Do you have an idea as to where you wish to practice and what type of law you want to get into? What other schools have you been accepted to?

Both Bowen Law School and Quinnipiac should be able to provide you with how many of their graduates are currently employed. However, keep in mind that lower-tiered law schools can include in their statistics non-legal work (ie working at Starbucks). I personally won't risk attending either but that depends on what you want to do with your law degree.

Lastly, whether or not you are black and female, attending such law schools would not be to your advantage when seeking employment.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Bowen
--LinkRemoved--

Quinnipiac
--LinkRemoved--

Both their attrition rates aren't that great. Close to half of the incoming class for each law school didn't stick around to graduate. Should tell you something.

dreadlawks

Postby dreadlawks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Bowen
--LinkRemoved--

Quinnipiac
--LinkRemoved--

Both their attrition rates aren't that great. Close to half of the incoming class for each law school didn't stick around to graduate. Should tell you something.

might suggest something about the quality of the incoming student, as opposed to the quality of the education provided, though both could be questionable.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:06 pm

LSAT/GPA?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”