bump for HBCU ug? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
DavidYurman85

Bronze

bump for HBCU ug?

Post by DavidYurman85 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:29 am

In another thread someone mentioned a possible bump for attending an hbcu. Anyone have any information or personal experience about this?

Appreciate the info!

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Re: bump for HBCU ug?

Post by socraticmethodman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:30 am

a bump for admission into an hbcu law school, or law schools in general?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:40 am

If you are talking about law school in general, then there may be a bump, but it is rather insignificant. To add diversity to their classes, law schools have been recruiting from HBCUs for quite some time now and therefore they are familiar with the institutions and the types of students that they produce. But still, it would be an insignificant boost if one existed. You still need the numbers. Don't think that if you have a sub par GPA or LSAT, attending a HBCU will help you. I used to think that UG could help or hurt, but then I applied to schools and realized that it really doesn't matter. HTH

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:39 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:a bump for admission into an hbcu law school, or law schools in general?

referring to non-hbcu law schools.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Just out of curiosity, and in case there may be others who this relevant to who are wondering: What does HBCU stand for?

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Historically Black Colleges or University. And I'd dare to say you get an additional boost ontop of the URM boost. By looking at LSN, I'd say this logic is sound.

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I think it will depend a little on which HBCU, and (in some cases) on which major. Some of the bigger names (Howard, Morehouse) seem to get big bumps (from highly anecdotal data). Other programs are very highly esteemed - I'm an NDN from the upper Midwest, and even I know that Xavier (LA)'s science programs are incredibly well respected.

thanks i'm from howard. i tried to get the information from my school, but they don't do a great job at updating the information.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:58 pm

I doubt it.

The reason why places like Howard and Morehouse seem to do well is that they are.... FULL of Black/minority students. They seem to get a bump because so many of their students are interested in professional degrees in the first place.

From what I can tell, this applies only to places like Howard, Morehouse, FAM U, etc.
Last edited by kk19131 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alltheirsplendor

Bronze

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Graduates from the more well-known HBCUs def get a bump. I've only seen it apply to Howard graduates, so it seems like you're in good shape. I remember reading an interview with an admissions counselor somewhere who informally suggested that the Ivy league tend to look at Howard grads with favor. This all thanks to their active interest in "maintaining partnerships" with these sorts of schools. Kind of vague I know, but it seems to be true when looking back at some anecdotal evidence.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:12 pm

kk19131 wrote:I doubt it.

The reason why places like Howard and Morehouse seem to do well is that they are.... FULL of Black/minority students. They seem to get a bump because so many of their students are interested in professional degrees in the first place.

From what I can tell, this applies only to places like Howard, Morehouse, FAM U, etc.
It doesn't hurt that Morehouse and Howard students are smart as hell and (particularly Morehouse) have professionalism drilled in from day 1.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:05 am

There's a bump for being a URM but not for going to a HBCU. The only boost associated with undergrad is IVY and even then it's usually just a small soft.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:54 pm

newyorker88 wrote:There's a bump for being a URM but not for going to a HBCU. The only boost associated with undergrad is IVY and even then it's usually just a small soft.

TITCR / thread

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”