i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

where would you go if....

NYU only if Full scholly (hypothetical b/c I'm not sure)
13%
Full at UF (certain)
3%
No $$ at HLS
3%
No $$ at YLS
76%
NYU regardless of scholly
No votes
Northwestern
1%
Duke
No votes
Berkeley
3%

Total votes: 92

dresden doll

Re: i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU??

Postby dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:59 pm

subtle wrote:She's legit, just a bit timid.

And she's thus seriously considering "UF with $$" after getting accepted to Yale?

I will now go cry into my Yale rejection letter.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:13 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
fatduck wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
fatduck wrote:go to yale

Okay...but why? How would you reconcile the angst inside due to the insane loan amount ?

oh i forgot to add: stop whining

Someone had to say it. To act as if this is even a serious dilemma is borderline offensive to many on this site.

preach...

You are exceedingly lucky. Go to yale, work hard, and do whatever you want. I'd kill to have any of your options.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:15 pm

subtle wrote:She's legit, just a bit timid. She had the same question before she got into YLS when she was in at HLS. She was wondering whether she should go to UF over HLS.

OP: If I were you, I'd tell Penn, UVA, and Michigan that they can keep their waitlists. I'd withdraw my aps from Columbia, Cornell, Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, Berkeley, and NYU. I'd then decide between HLS and YLS (but I'd go with YLS). I think your desire to even consider UF over YLS is incredibly short-sighted.

It's a different thing if you're trying to decide between Yale & Harvard; But UF?

However though, you could make a case for going to NYU if you were to be awarded the AnBryce.

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:18 pm

I love how there are people on this forum with 1000+ posts who are quick to jump down people's throats.

Anyways,

If you're not married to your fiance, their income will not be calculated into your grant award (and if you're not from a wealthy background then you'll get a pretty solid grant award from HLS and YLS, which will make the cost difference minimal). With YLS (and in a slightly more restrictive sense, HLS) your loans will be covered under a very strong COAP and will only become an 'issue' if you're doing well enough that it won't be much of an issue, so don't be afraid of the loans, especially if you're going to Yale and aren't sure you want to go into the field of Law.

I suspect very few people from YLS or HLS end up in Florida, so you'll be an incredibly "hot commodity" on the job market, for both firm jobs and for public interest jobs. At UF you may not have loans, but if you're bad at issue spotting or taking inane law school exams, you may also not have a job.

As for HLS v. YLS, make sure that you visit both and check out the curriculum of both. One will "click" more than the other. For me it was YLS, but for others it may be HLS. I'm not convinced that the slight YLS advantage on the job market makes it worth sacrificing any quality of life considerations (though the loan repayment difference may be).

However though, you could make a case for going to NYU if you were to be awarded the AnBryce.

TITCR. A YLS degree pays for itself. And notanumber brings up an incredible point: the risk of not succeeding in law school. If that happens at UF you'll be less likely to succeed post law school, even with a full ride. What are your professional aspirations?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Alltheirsplendor wrote:I love how there are people on this forum with 1000+ posts who are quick to jump down people's throats.

WTH does that even mean? Lord forbid we allow a bunch of 0Ls give advice to one another.

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:22 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Alltheirsplendor wrote:I love how there are people on this forum with 1000+ posts who are quick to jump down people's throats.

WTH does that even mean? Lord forbid we allow a bunch of 0Ls give advice to one another.

No, no I was simply commenting on the nature of some of the responses. If I were to object to the latter, I'd be crazy.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Alltheirsplendor wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

No, no I was simply commenting on the nature of some of the responses. If I were to object to the latter, I'd be crazy.

instead, u just mad

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:28 pm

You knightting bro?

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:30 pm

rocon7383 wrote: I'd kill to have any of your options.

Almost literally.
OP, please put up a poll. Please. Let's get some empirical feedback on this one...

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Yall are being kinda harsh to the girl. it's a legit concern if you don't understand the protection that these schools offer you.

that being said you need to never even think about UF again, lol(but seriously).

I also see no reason for you to go to NYU Anbryce or not. LRAP will protect you. You're really taking on no risk by going to H or Y.

choosing between those is simply a matter of personal preference

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:41 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Yall are being kinda harsh to the girl. it's a legit concern if you don't understand the protection that these schools offer you.

that being said you need to never even think about UF again, lol(but seriously).

I also see no reason for you to go to NYU Anbryce or not. LRAP will protect you. You're really taking on no risk by going to H or Y.

It just seems strange that someone can be smart enough to get into Yale, but not smart enough to do the independent research necessary to understand such things.

OP-

If you would like, you can have my UVA scholarship and I'll go to Yale.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Must...not...troll...UF...

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Seriously...you guys are unbelievable. Someone asks a genuine question and you jump down their throat.

I'm sorry that I have genuine hesitation about one of the most important decisions of my life. Growing up alone and taking care of myself makes me a little hesitant to borrow what would be 2-3 years salary in a crappy job.

Do you think that knowing the brashness and insensitvity of the people responding on this thread I would ask a question like this for fun?

All of the rude people on here can go to h*ll and don't respond if you don't like the question. How f-ing rude....I'm offended that on the URM thread there aren't more people who can relate to the hesitation I feel....instead of help I get bombarded with awful comments...I did expect more.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:44 pm

i'm sorry. i'll give you some legitimate advice. go to UF. go gators.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Drake014 wrote:Must...not...troll...UF...

1. befriend lots of very good football players
2. learn sports law
3. 10% of 5-6 of those kid's contracts is a heckofa lot more than any Yale grad is going to be making

I can't see why UF isn't in serious contention.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:47 pm

UF has good football players?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Drake014 wrote:Must...not...troll...UF...

1. befriend lots of very good football players
2. learn sports law
3. 10% of 5-6 of those kid's contracts is a heckofa lot more than any Yale grad is going to be making

I can't see why UF isn't in serious contention.

this is good advice. charlie weis has significant nfl experience, and could be a great mentor.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:48 pm

chrissyc wrote:Seriously...you guys are unbelievable. Someone asks a genuine question and you jump down their throat.

I'm sorry that I have genuine hesitation about one of the most important decisions of my life. Growing up alone and taking care of myself makes me a little hesitant to borrow what would be 2-3 years salary in a crappy job.

Do you think that knowing the brashness and insensitvity of the people responding on this thread I would ask a question like this for fun?

All of the rude people on here can go to h*ll and don't respond if you don't like the question. How f-ing rude....I'm offended that on the URM thread there aren't more people who can relate to the hesitation I feel....instead of help I get bombarded with awful comments...I did expect more.

one word: lrap

i guess that's four words.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:48 pm

jd20132013 wrote:UF has good football players?

i know right? they haven't won a national championship since 2008, LOL. and that was probably a fluke, who knows when the last one was before that.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:49 pm

chrissyc wrote:Seriously...you guys are unbelievable. Someone asks a genuine question and you jump down their throat.

Not to be rude, but if you did your research about Loan Repayment programs, you would probably not be so afraid of taking on massive amounts of debt, or you'd at least understand that higher ranked schools generalyl (emphasis added) have better LARPs. If you researched UF's employment numbers and read articles on the state of the legal job market, you would likely not be considering UF. It seems like you have not done much research on "one of the most important decisions of [your] life."

/end serious S4M
Last edited by Stanford4Me on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:49 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Yall are being kinda harsh to the girl. it's a legit concern if you don't understand the protection that these schools offer you.

I've read extensively about LIPP and COAP and emailed about the guarantee involved upon graduation but I haven't received a reply from YLS yet. HLS said there's no limit to the number of students receiving the aid so that was a relief.

I suppose its the job market that has me so afraid...but that's silly because still I'm covered. Its just so hard to believe that it will work out because its just too good to be true. I always get my hopes up over things and $$ has been a factor...I want this but I don't want to regret it.

By the same token, I would hate the regret of not going. Is that so hard to understand or believe?

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

Not to be rude, but if you did your research about Loan Repayment programs, you would probably not be so afraid of taking on massive amounts of debts. If you researched UF's employment numbers and read articles on the state of the legal job market, you would likely not be considering UF. It seems like you have not done much research on "one of the most important decisions of [your] life."

/end serious S4M

In her defense, this isn't a bad way of starting said research.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Drake014 wrote:
In her defense, this isn't a bad way of starting said research.

It's a lazy way IMO.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:53 pm

I have read about LRAPs for crying out loud. It just SEEMS too good to be true....the availability of the aid after graduation is a worry of mine and the sheer amount.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”