i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

where would you go if....

NYU only if Full scholly (hypothetical b/c I'm not sure)
13%
Full at UF (certain)
3%
No $$ at HLS
3%
No $$ at YLS
76%
NYU regardless of scholly
No votes
Northwestern
1%
Duke
No votes
Berkeley
3%

Total votes: 92

chrissyc

Bronze

i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU??

Post by chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:10 pm

okay, so NOWHERE has given me any $$ except UF

I'm in at...
Yale
Harvard
Northwestern
Duke
NYU
Berkeley

Don't know
Columbia
Cornell
Chicago

Waitlisted
UPenn
UVA
UMich

I am poor...filled out my FAFSA and I'm TERRIFIED OF LOANS...I've always been poor and I'm getting married. My fiance is a teacher so I assume they will take 70% of his projected $40000 salary and stick me with $28000 in loans at HLS and Yale right off the bat.

I am interviewing for the AnBryce scholarship at NYU...but what if I don't get it? Do I go to UF so I can live debt free or suck it up and take out loans?

I am so afraid of having regret or making the wrong decision.
What would you do if you got $$ nowhere except UF, a low ranked school, but wanted to practice in Florida anyway? Would you go to the dream school and take out loans? What are the advantages of going to the school you would choose?
Last edited by chrissyc on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Re: i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU??

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:13 pm

go to yale

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Retake

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:14 pm

fatduck wrote:go to yale

Okay...but why? How would you reconcile the angst inside due to the insane loan amount ?

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:14 pm

chrissyc wrote:okay, so NOWHERE has given me any $$ except UF

I'm in at...
Yale

Harvard
Northwestern
Duke
NYU
Berkeley

Don't know
Columbia
Cornell
Chicago

Waitlisted
UPenn
UVA
UMich

I am poor...filled out my FAFSA and I'm TERRIFIED OF LOANS...I've always been poor and I'm getting married. My fiance is a teacher so I assume they will take 70% of his projected $40000 salary and stick me with $28000 in loans at HLS and Yale right off the bat.

I am interviewing for the AnBryce scholarship at NYU...but what if I don't get it? Do I go to UF so I can live debt free or suck it up and take out loans?

I am so afraid of having regret or making the wrong decision.
What would you do if you got $$ nowhere except UF, a low ranked school, but wanted to practice in Florida anyway? Would you go to the dream school and take out loans? What are the advantages of going to the school you would choose?
I bolded the only thing that matters in this post. For reals, you don't turn down Yale.
Last edited by Moral_Midgetry on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:15 pm

If you have to pay sticker, Yale has the most generous assistance program of any law school. Basically, if you can't afford to pay your loan, you don't have to.

If you can get a free ride in the T10, you might want to consider the free ride. WIthout a free ride? Yale

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:15 pm

chrissyc wrote:

Okay...but why? How would you reconcile the angst inside due to the insane loan amount ?
It's Yale. 'nuff said.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:16 pm

chrissyc wrote:
oh i forgot to add: stop whining

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:19 pm

new haven will be a good fit: no subways

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:24 pm

fatduck wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
Someone had to say it. To act as if this is even a serious dilemma is borderline offensive to many on this site.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:28 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
fatduck wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
Someone had to say it. To act as if this is even a serious dilemma is borderlineoffensive to many on this site.
ftfy

considering your financial circumstances, go to yale.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:30 pm

You have a spouse so where they factor in will always be an issue. But yeah, yale. Unless you have an almost full to full ride at another school and you have some VERY VERY good reason to go there.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm pretty debt-averse. Few things in life are worth kind of money that law schools charge. The prestige and future opportunities that come along with Yale is one of them.

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:32 pm

i apologize. i don't want to offend people...i SWEAR!! i am so scared of taking out 100k in loans and having no job at the end of this or a shitty paying job and just wish that i had done something differently.

i just wanted to make sure that other people would make the same choice, that i'm not delusional in wanting to go even though i can't afford it.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:33 pm

If you're not married to your fiance, their income will not be calculated into your grant award (and if you're not from a wealthy background then you'll get a pretty solid grant award from HLS and YLS, which will make the cost difference minimal). With YLS (and in a slightly more restrictive sense, HLS) your loans will be covered under a very strong COAP and will only become an 'issue' if you're doing well enough that it won't be much of an issue, so don't be afraid of the loans, especially if you're going to Yale and aren't sure you want to go into the field of Law.

I suspect very few people from YLS or HLS end up in Florida, so you'll be an incredibly "hot commodity" on the job market, for both firm jobs and for public interest jobs. At UF you may not have loans, but if you're bad at issue spotting or taking inane law school exams, you may also not have a job.

As for HLS v. YLS, make sure that you visit both and check out the curriculum of both. One will "click" more than the other. For me it was YLS, but for others it may be HLS. I'm not convinced that the slight YLS advantage on the job market makes it worth sacrificing any quality of life considerations (though the loan repayment difference may be).

Honestly, I see very few situations where UF would be the better option, and if I were in your shoes then I would very seriously consider HLS or YLS if you manage to get the NYU award.
Last edited by notanumber on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:33 pm

chrissyc wrote:i apologize. i don't want to offend people...i SWEAR!! i am so scared of taking out 100k in loans and having no job at the end of this or a shitty paying job and just wish that i had done something differently.

i just wanted to make sure that other people would make the same choice, that i'm not delusional in wanting to go even though i can't afford it.
OP is trolling. Pathetic.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:36 pm

chrissyc wrote:i apologize. i don't want to offend people...i SWEAR!! i am so scared of taking out 100k in loans and having no job at the end of this or a shitty paying job and just wish that i had done something differently.

1. Freaking go to Yale

2. Stop whining, nobody cares.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:45 pm

The great thing about Yale is that you literally do not have to worry about your loans. Check out the COAP (which is their loan repayment assistance program). http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/coap.htm

"To that end, COAP participants making less than $60,000 will not be expected to make contributions toward their law school loans."

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Has anyone called flame yet?

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:47 pm

dresden doll wrote:Has anyone called flame yet?
Moral_Midgetry wrote:

OP is trolling. Pathetic.
I got you, bro.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:49 pm

~300 genuine posts, almost entirely in the URM thread, just to set up a "HAY GUYZ SHOULD I GO TO YALE ITS EXPENSIVE!!!!!11" flame thread?

seems unlikely.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:51 pm

fatduck wrote:
~300 genuine posts, almost entirely in the URM thread, just to set up a "HAY GUYZ SHOULD I GO TO YALE ITS EXPENSIVE!!!!!11" flame thread?

seems unlikely.
I admit there's some consistency in her posts, but it just saddens me to think that someone who started gems like 'Has anyone ever gone through a major physical change in life?' and 'Applying to law school has made me chubby :-(' is actually in at Yale.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:53 pm

dresden doll wrote:
fatduck wrote:

seems unlikely.
I admit there's some consistency in her posts, but it just saddens me to think that someone who started gems like 'Has anyone ever gone through a major physical change in life?' and 'Applying to law school has made me chubby :-(' is actually in at Yale.
her posts make me believe 4.0. and 4.0 + URM = HY.

silver7

New

Post by silver7 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:54 pm

You need to grow a pair and get some xanax. chill out

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:57 pm

She's legit, just a bit timid. She had the same question before she got into YLS when she was in at HLS. She was wondering whether she should go to UF over HLS.

OP: If I were you, I'd tell Penn, UVA, and Michigan that they can keep their waitlists. I'd withdraw my aps from Columbia, Cornell, Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, Berkeley, and NYU. I'd then decide between HLS and YLS (but I'd go with YLS). I think your desire to even consider UF over YLS is incredibly short-sighted.

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”