i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

where would you go if....

NYU only if Full scholly (hypothetical b/c I'm not sure)
13%
Full at UF (certain)
3%
No $$ at HLS
3%
No $$ at YLS
76%
NYU regardless of scholly
No votes
Northwestern
1%
Duke
No votes
Berkeley
3%

Total votes: 92

fatduck

Gold

Re: i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU??

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:53 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
chrissyc wrote:Seriously...you guys are unbelievable. Someone asks a genuine question and you jump down their throat.

I'm sorry that I have genuine hesitation about one of the most important decisions of my life. Growing up alone and taking care of myself makes me a little hesitant to borrow what would be 2-3 years salary in a crappy job.

Do you think that knowing the brashness and insensitvity of the people responding on this thread I would ask a question like this for fun?

All of the rude people on here can go to h*ll and don't respond if you don't like the question. How f-ing rude....I'm offended that on the URM thread there aren't more people who can relate to the hesitation I feel....instead of help I get bombarded with awful comments...I did expect more.
Hey Chris don't worry about these losers they're just mad because they have a small brain or something else small and they have to compensate. There are so many cool people on TLS but a large segment are just internet jerks. It just pisses me off that I'll probably be in school with many of these people (well the ones who could get into Harvard). The good thing is that they'd never say any of this crap to my face, they'd probably just run home and blog about it. To all you losers who have been talking about this girl, get a life.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
chrissyc wrote:Seriously...you guys are unbelievable. Someone asks a genuine question and you jump down their throat.

I'm sorry that I have genuine hesitation about one of the most important decisions of my life. Growing up alone and taking care of myself makes me a little hesitant to borrow what would be 2-3 years salary in a crappy job.

Do you think that knowing the brashness and insensitvity of the people responding on this thread I would ask a question like this for fun?

All of the rude people on here can go to h*ll and don't respond if you don't like the question. How f-ing rude....I'm offended that on the URM thread there aren't more people who can relate to the hesitation I feel....instead of help I get bombarded with awful comments...I did expect more.
Not to be rude, but if you did your research about Loan Repayment programs, you would probably not be so afraid of taking on massive amounts of debt, or you'd at least understand that higher ranked schools generalyl (emphasis added) have better LARPs. If you researched UF's employment numbers and read articles on the state of the legal job market, you would likely not be considering UF. It seems like you have not done much research on "one of the most important decisions of [your] life."

/end serious S4M
That is what she is trying to do now.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:54 pm

chrissyc wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:Yall are being kinda harsh to the girl. it's a legit concern if you don't understand the protection that these schools offer you.

that being said you need to never even think about UF again, lol(but seriously).

I also see no reason for you to go to NYU Anbryce or not. LRAP will protect you. You're really taking on no risk by going to H or Y.

choosing between those is simply a matter of personal preference

I've read extensively about LIPP and COAP and emailed about the guarantee involved upon graduation but I haven't received a reply from YLS yet. HLS said there's no limit to the number of students receiving the aid so that was a relief.

I suppose its the job market that has me so afraid...but that's silly because still I'm covered. Its just so hard to believe that it will work out because its just too good to be true. I always get my hopes up over things and $$ has been a factor...I want this but I don't want to regret it.

By the same token, I would hate the regret of not going. Is that so hard to understand or believe?

I'm just confused what you would still be worried about after reading about the programs. They're not *easy* to understand but they're pretty straightforward(the explanations on this website are quite helpful)

In any case you don't have to understand them fully to understand you're protected. It's as simple as this: if you're making under a certain amount your loans will be taken care of. If you're making over that amount...it won't matter because you'll have enough money to pay your loans off easily. that's the whole idea behind it.

I empathize with your concerns but I think you are over fretting a lot

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Hey Chris don't worry about these losers they're just mad because they have a small brain or something else small and they have to compensate. There are so many cool people on TLS but a large segment are just internet jerks. It just pisses me off that I'll probably be in school with many of these people (well the ones who could get into Harvard). The good thing is that they'd never say any of this crap to my face, they'd probably just run home and blog about it. To all you losers who have been talking about this girl, get a life.

Edit: Also, I voted for NYU w/ $$, otherwise Yale.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:57 pm

OP -- you've been accepted to these schools -- which means they want you to attend, and in many cases will work hard to make sure you matriculate. It wouldn't hurt to pose a lot of these concerns to representatives at the schools. they'll give you the tactful response you won't find here (i mean, it is an internet forum), and they may be able to make you breathe a bit easier if they can give you tangible advice to make your decision easier. Why not just hit up the Yale finaid and say I want to attend but I'm worried about x, y, and z? Be aggressive in a way that matters. Don't waste your powers of persuasion on here. Squeaky wheel, etc, etc

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:58 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:OP -- you've been accepted to these schools -- which means they want you to attend, and in many cases will work hard to make sure you matriculate. It wouldn't hurt to pose a lot of these concerns to representatives at the schools. they'll give you the tactful response you won't find here (i mean, it is an internet forum), and they may be able to make you breathe a bit easier if they can give you tangible advice to make your decision easier. Why not just hit up the Yale finaid and say I want to attend but I'm worried about x, y, and z? Be aggressive in a way that matters. Don't waste your powers of persuasion on here. Squeaky wheel, etc, etc
yea, okay, that might get you the answers, but you're forgetting the added value of flaunting your acceptances in a forum full of people who wish they had got into yale!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:00 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:If you don't want to answer or don't have anything constructive to say why not just shut up esp. when we all know you're nothing but a chump in real life.
wanna fight bro?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:00 pm

chrissyc wrote: Do you think that knowing the brashness and insensitvity of the people responding on this thread I would ask a question like this for fun?
Knowing that this board is full of unapologetic elitists, you might have expected you'd garner some negative commentary for asking - apparently in earnest - whether a scholarship with UF beats Yale.

But as long as you're looking for someone to relate to your fear of debt, I'd like to point out that I grew up in another country in the midst of a civil war that devastated my parents financially. I went to a TTT UG in the States solely for the full ride, awareness of the 1:6 currency ratio and a 'debt is worse than electrocution' cultural mindset. Not exactly a "URM in a single parent household" tale but hopefully it'll do.

Now go send your deposit to Yale, for the love of all that is good and holy.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:01 pm

fatduck wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:If you don't want to answer or don't have anything constructive to say why not just shut up esp. when we all know you're nothing but a chump in real life.
wanna fight bro?
Nah, he' d rather revel in self-righteousness all by his wholesome self.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:01 pm

fatduck wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:OP -- you've been accepted to these schools -- which means they want you to attend, and in many cases will work hard to make sure you matriculate. It wouldn't hurt to pose a lot of these concerns to representatives at the schools. they'll give you the tactful response you won't find here (i mean, it is an internet forum), and they may be able to make you breathe a bit easier if they can give you tangible advice to make your decision easier. Why not just hit up the Yale finaid and say I want to attend but I'm worried about x, y, and z? Be aggressive in a way that matters. Don't waste your powers of persuasion on here. Squeaky wheel, etc, etc
yea, okay, that might get you the answers, but you're forgetting the added value of flaunting your acceptances in a forum full of people who wish they had got into yale!
Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:02 pm

fatduck wrote:
wanna fight bro?
lol, dude you wouldn't want that. Although it did make me smile :).

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:02 pm

I've never seen you post here before fatduck:

OP is not a troll, she's been posting on this forum for quite a while. we don't have regular trolls on this subforum AFAIK

. as much as it might be hard for you to believe, some people really do come from a background where taking out 6 figure loans is so far above what they've experienced it's terrifying. I consider myself one of those people.

Yes, she should be more informed on LRAPs and understand that she really isn't risking anything.
But that doesn't make her a troll. Try to see things from her perspectives.

Also, it must be noted that Michelle Obama looks extra fine in that picture. if HLS can guarantee me those kinds of classmates i'll be sending in my deposit tomorrow lmao

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:03 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
well with that 2.9 you don't have to worry about that.
my only possible retort would get me banned, so you win. still down to fight, though.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:04 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: well with that 2.9 you don't have to worry about that.
BURN!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:04 pm

jd20132013 wrote:I've never seen you post here before fatduck:

OP is not a troll, she's been posting on this forum for quite a while. we don't have regular trolls on this subforum AFAIK

. as much as it might be hard for you to believe, some people really do come from a background where taking out 6 figure loans is so far above what they've experienced it's terrifying. I consider myself one of those people.

Yes, she should be more informed on LRAPs and understand that she really isn't risking anything.
But that doesn't make her a troll. Try to see things from her perspectives.

Also, it must be noted that Michelle Obama looks extra fine in that picture. if HLS can guarantee me those kinds of classmates i'll be sending in my deposit tomorrow lmao
I can't wait to go to ASW. I'm about 95% sold on Harvard.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:04 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
the gauntlet has been thrown

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:05 pm

jd20132013 wrote:

Yet some of those same debt averse people are also capable of comprehending how ridiculous it would be to choose money at UF over Yale. Boggles the mind, I know.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:06 pm

i really do feel that HYS is the only option if you get into one of them, given the LRAPs. I seethat you are still waiting on Yale though, perhaps that might change your thoughts on HYS.

the ASW is great though, you really get a feel for the school both + and -

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:06 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
the gauntlet has been thrown
i'm hamstrung in this one, unfortunately. plus he's in the army, which is intimidating and scary.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 pm

dresden doll wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

Yet some of those same debt averse people are also capable of comprehending how ridiculous it would be to choose money at UF over Yale. Boggles the mind, I know.
+ fucking 1.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 pm

I don't know enough about you to make a recommendation, however, if you were my child I would suggest Yale first, then Harvard, then wait for Northwestern's offer.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 pm

fatduck wrote: i'm hamstrung in this one, unfortunately. plus he's in the army, which is intimidating and scary.
Crap, that completely limits what I can say.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:08 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
:roll: Enjoy Harvard, brah.
Last edited by dresden doll on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”