i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

where would you go if....

NYU only if Full scholly (hypothetical b/c I'm not sure)
13%
Full at UF (certain)
3%
No $$ at HLS
3%
No $$ at YLS
76%
NYU regardless of scholly
No votes
Northwestern
1%
Duke
No votes
Berkeley
3%

Total votes: 92

fatduck

Gold

Re: i am at wits end about where to go-HLS, YALE, NYU??

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:09 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: well with that 2.9 you don't have to worry about that.
my only possible retort would get me banned, so you win. still down to fight, though.
Like I said violence isn't a good way to resolve things plus me being a combat vet, certified unarmed combat trainer, and about 6'2 235, I don't feel like going to jail anytime soon. That might get my Harvard acceptance revoked then I'd be stuck in a midwest crap school (kinda like the one you'll end up at).
actually i'm going to gwu at sticker, because my dad's a billionaire.

combat vet sounds scary, though. did you work with pit bulls?

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:10 pm

at the end of the day there are as many reasons to defend OP as there are to lambaste her. but, we also have to realize that she has very shrewdly opened up a discussion wholly revolving around her dilemma as well as received the answers (and empirical evidence!) she was searching for. and while we sit her and discuss her intention and apparently challenge each other to e-fights, she's probably doing the things that got her into this position in the first place (IE steadfastly pursuing things relevant to advancing her self-interest).
Last edited by ShuckingNotJiving on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Thank you uncommon...you are a real asset to the thread and I wish we were going to the same school.

So if not a full sholly at NYU I'm definitely going to Yale. Decision is made. Thanks everyone for the wonderful and maybe not so wonderful feedback.

And for the 2.9ers who are b*tching..don't worry about getting into yale...I doubt that you'd have any chance at matriculating anyway so consider it a favor that they rejected you instead of having you drowning in debt.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:11 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: Like I said violence isn't a good way to resolve things plus me being a combat vet, certified unarmed combat trainer, and about 6'2 235, I don't feel like going to jail anytime soon. That might get my Harvard acceptance revoked then I'd be stuck in a midwest crap school (kinda like the one you'll end up at).
Bro i'm 450 pounds I could just sit on you.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:11 pm

fatduck wrote:go to yale

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:12 pm

fatduck wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: well with that 2.9 you don't have to worry about that.
my only possible retort would get me banned, so you win. still down to fight, though.
Like I said violence isn't a good way to resolve things plus me being a combat vet, certified unarmed combat trainer, and about 6'2 235, I don't feel like going to jail anytime soon. That might get my Harvard acceptance revoked then I'd be stuck in a midwest crap school (kinda like the one you'll end up at).
actually i'm going to gwu at sticker, because my dad's a billionaire.

combat vet sounds scary, though. did you work with pit bulls?
come on dude. fatduck might be a big silly douche but he is never as mean spirited as you are being right now. also, WE KNOW YOU GOT INTO HARVARD OK WE KNOW ALREADY

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: Like I said violence isn't a good way to resolve things plus me being a combat vet, certified unarmed combat trainer, and about 6'2 235, I don't feel like going to jail anytime soon. That might get my Harvard acceptance revoked then I'd be stuck in a midwest crap school (kinda like the one you'll end up at).
Bro i'm 450 pounds I could just sit on you.
god every time i see you on my facebook mini feed i have to look at that fat ass. makes me wanna stop eating completely

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:13 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Thanks brah enjoy being a jerk for the rest of your life. Chris I'm sure you will make a great decision don't let these people get you down. Haters gonna hate. Great cycle and congrats on the engagement. Maybe I'll see you in Cambridge next year.
that has to be like the 18th time you've referenced your harvard acceptance in this 4 page thread

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:14 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:I don't feel like going to jail anytime soon. That might get my Harvard acceptance revoked then I'd be stuck in a midwest crap school (kinda like the one you'll end up at).
That's awfully rich, coming from the apparent crusader against Internet assholery:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: There are so many cool people on TLS but a large segment are just internet jerks. It just pisses me off that I'll probably be in school with many of these people (well the ones who could get into Harvard).
Too bad LSAT doesn't test for cognitive dissonance.

Oh, and anytime you'd like to take a look around UChicago, buddy, shoot me a pm. I promise I won't blog about the experience.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:14 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:I've never seen you post here before fatduck:

OP is not a troll, she's been posting on this forum for quite a while. we don't have regular trolls on this subforum AFAIK

. as much as it might be hard for you to believe, some people really do come from a background where taking out 6 figure loans is so far above what they've experienced it's terrifying. I consider myself one of those people.

Yes, she should be more informed on LRAPs and understand that she really isn't risking anything.
But that doesn't make her a troll. Try to see things from her perspectives.

Also, it must be noted that Michelle Obama looks extra fine in that picture. if HLS can guarantee me those kinds of classmates i'll be sending in my deposit tomorrow lmao
I can't wait to go to ASW. I'm about 95% sold on Harvard.
Haha UNC lost to Duke HAHAHA

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
fatduck wrote: i'm hamstrung in this one, unfortunately. plus he's in the army, which is intimidating and scary.
Crap, that completely limits what I can say.
i know, right? veterans are insufferable.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:15 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote: come on dude. fatduck might be a big silly douche but he is never as mean spirited as you are being right now. also, WE KNOW YOU GOT INTO HARVARD OK WE KNOW ALREADY
I don't talk bad about anybody ever. Ask the people on this board some in this forum I go out of my way to help everybody with everything. This guy is a jerk who tried to bully the OP. I had enough of these type of people just because someone asks a question that they don't feel is worthy of the TLS board. DON'T ANSWER THEN.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:15 pm

chrissyc wrote:Thank you uncommon...you are a real asset to the thread and I wish we were going to the same school.

So if not a full sholly at NYU I'm definitely going to Yale. Decision is made. Thanks everyone for the wonderful and maybe not so wonderful feedback.

And for the 2.9ers who are b*tching..don't worry about getting into yale...I doubt that you'd have any chance at matriculating anyway so consider it a favor that they rejected you instead of having you drowning in debt.
I hope you go to yale and end up at the bottom of your class where you will end up unemployed and married to a teacher who makes 40K a year.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:16 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote: come on dude. fatduck might be a big silly douche but he is never as mean spirited as you are being right now. also, WE KNOW YOU GOT INTO HARVARD OK WE KNOW ALREADY
I don't talk bad about anybody ever. Ask the people on this board some in this forum I go out of my way to help everybody with everything. This guy is a jerk who tried to bully the OP. I had enough of these type of people just because someone asks a question that they don't feel is worthy of the TLS board. DON'T ANSWER THEN.
there's a bomb in my house. if i go below 15.00 posts/day it blows up. despite being an electrical engineer i can't disarm it. probably explains the 2.9.
Last edited by fatduck on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:16 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:Thanks brah enjoy being a jerk for the rest of your life. Chris I'm sure you will make a great decision don't let these people get you down. Haters gonna hate. Great cycle and congrats on the engagement. Maybe I'll see you in Cambridge next year.
that has to be like the 18th time you've referenced your harvard acceptance in this 4 page thread
Thank god he's not a pretentious asshole like the rest of us. At least he's got that going for him.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:16 pm

dresden doll wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Thank god he's not a pretentious asshole like the rest of us. At least he's got that going for him.
might have trouble fitting in at harvard, though. which is where he's going to law school, btw.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:18 pm

fatduck wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
might have trouble fitting in at harvard, though. which is where he's going to law school, btw.
It sounds like he is developing a TLS reputation, definitely going down the wrong track if he wants to be top of his class at not-Yale.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:19 pm

chrissyc wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

How's weight gain/major physiological change going?

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:20 pm

lot of the 'kanye defense' going on itt.

@ chris, good choice. you have some great options, and while i don't want to belittle UF, its hard to really consider that school in the same breath as these other schools in terms of the opportunities that will be available to you.

i understand people (especially people from low-income backgrounds) being debt-averse, but you really have to consider where you want to go rather than where you came from. graduating from yale or harvard law will almost inevitably mean that $200k in debt is not going to end horribly.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:20 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
i don't think fatduck didn't think the thread was worthy of the TLS board, but you HAVE to expect a little flack when you throw out a poll like this. and his posts made me lol, and that's what he does. and if the OP didn't get an lol out of it too (especially since he is in the best situation anyone going to law school can hope to be in) then he takes his life way too seriously

ETA: he or she

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
chrissyc wrote:Thank you uncommon...you are a real asset to the thread and I wish we were going to the same school.

I hope you go to yale and end up at the bottom of your class where you will end up unemployed and married to a teacher who makes 40K a year.

Not likely...but maybe if you think and hope hard enough about it you might actually convince yourself that bullying people gives your life true meaning. I ask a simple question and get all of these rude responses from people who cannot fathom someone not being a slave to the usnwr rankings. My financial stability is important to me. So despite LRAPs its a bit scary to be that far in debt for a significant portion of my adult life

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm

dresden doll wrote:
chrissyc wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

How's weight gain/major physiological change going?
jesus christ! this thread wins the asshole award

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:22 pm

also IBTL

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”