Off Task a little bit but need URM help

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
blacklawboss

Off Task a little bit but need URM help

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:26 am

I work with a community outreach group focused on minority youth and education. I am trying to put together data on career earnings from Ivy league grads on avg. I know this may too random seeing that many go into academia or public interest, but I am building a contrasting model against the span of entertainment or sports figures that they strive to become. Thank you to anyone who decides to contribute.

Malcolm8X

Re: Off Task a little bit but need URM help

Postby Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:37 am

blacklawboss wrote:I work with a community outreach group focused on minority youth and education. I am trying to put together data on career earnings from Ivy league grads on avg. I know this may too random seeing that many go into academia or public interest, but I am building a contrasting model against the span of entertainment or sports figures that they strive to become. Thank you to anyone who decides to contribute.

I doubt that the earnings of an ivy league grad will compare against the earnings of a ball player/entertainer. Let's face it, they make incredibly more money. Unless you multiply their earnings by the probability of them actually getting to that status, then you'll just be reinforcing their preconceptions. Rather, let me ask you how you will present the data/calculations?

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:49 am

blacklawboss wrote:I work with a community outreach group focused on minority youth and education. I am trying to put together data on career earnings from Ivy league grads on avg. I know this may too random seeing that many go into academia or public interest, but I am building a contrasting model against the span of entertainment or sports figures that they strive to become. Thank you to anyone who decides to contribute.

Consider showing the relationship between having a college education and things like reduction in prison, divorce, bankruptcy, drug abuse, life expectancy, etc.

Show a list of the most respected professions. Not everything is about money.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:55 am

Malcolm8X wrote:

I doubt that the earnings of an ivy league grad will compare against the earnings of a ball player/entertainer. Let's face it, they make incredibly more money. Unless you multiply their earnings by the probability of them actually getting to that status, then you'll just be reinforcing their preconceptions. Rather, let me ask you how you will present the data/calculations?

You have to realize that only a very small % of athletes and entertainers make "great" $ and their careers are short. look at NFL and to some extent NBA. A good NFL player makes about 1million a year but only for 5-6 years as opposed to an Ivy league grad in finance or law who's earning power is limitless for decades.
Presentation? I'm a little confused by the ? do you mean in what manner? If so charts and graphs to strengthen why education is much more powerful. I mean you can even throw in Athletes from Universities like Duke or Georgetown vs sports schools and see their earning power and life after sports. You never see these guys go broke or buy 30 bentleys

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:55 am

kublaikahn wrote:

Consider showing the relationship between having a college education and things like reduction in prison, divorce, bankruptcy, drug abuse, life expectancy, etc.

Show a list of the most respected professions. Not everything is about money.

I totally agree with you, but these kids are driven by material tokens unfortunately

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:10 am

blacklawboss wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:

You have to realize that only a very small % of athletes and entertainers make "great" $ and their careers are short. look at NFL and to some extent NBA. A good NFL player makes about 1million a year but only for 5-6 years as opposed to an Ivy league grad in finance or law who's earning power is limitless for decades.
Presentation? I'm a little confused by the ? do you mean in what manner? If so charts and graphs to strengthen why education is much more powerful. I mean you can even throw in Athletes from Universities like Duke or Georgetown vs sports schools and see their earning power and life after sports. You never see these guys go broke or buy 30 bentleys

You answered the question. You're right tho, it's only a tiny portion of those aspiring athletes and singers that make it. And their career earnings (for athletes esp) should be a lot less than the cumulative earnings for an ivy league professional. Singers probably might have the advantage because of continued royalties however (esp if they had a good lawyer who looked out for them).

How about even comparing the TOP earnings of entertainers with the TOP earnings of Ivy league CEOs/bankers/attorneys/businessmen. D. Trump graduated from upenn business school I believe and the earnings of any entertainer will never reach his earnings. I'm sure you can compile a list of successful businessmen and CEOs and compare their income to the relatively paltry (I'm ashamed for even saying that) earnings of a movie star/rapper/singer/athlete.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:28 am

Malcolm8X wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:

You answered the question. You're right tho, it's only a tiny portion of those aspiring athletes and singers that make it. And their career earnings (for athletes esp) should be a lot less than the cumulative earnings for an ivy league professional. Singers probably might have the advantage because of continued royalties however (esp if they had a good lawyer who looked out for them).

How about even comparing the TOP earnings of entertainers with the TOP earnings of Ivy league CEOs/bankers/attorneys/businessmen. D. Trump graduated from upenn business school I believe and the earnings of any entertainer will never reach his earnings. I'm sure you can compile a list of successful businessmen and CEOs and compare their income to the relatively paltry (I'm ashamed for even saying that) earnings of a movie star/rapper/singer/athlete.

You're right, and I appreciate your input. I worked with Singers, and rappers for years. You'd be very surprised. Aside from the top top guys in the business $ is paltry for them. But you can stack any of them against guys like Ken Chenault 19 million last year or non Ivy Dick Parsons almost 10 million in salary alone.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”