Berkeley DS and socio-economic statement

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
triplem25

Berkeley DS and socio-economic statement

Postby triplem25 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44 am

So is the consensus that it is okay to talk about ethnicity for the Berkeley DS. I feel it has significantly shaped who I am and so I really want to include it, but I know that they cannot admit based on my ethnicity. Also, should I include a socio-economic statement in addition, one or the other, or maybe combine them?

Also, I think my PS is leaning towards a focus on socio-economic disadvantage, but that is more recent in the last 6 years or so.

powerlawyer06

Re: Berkeley DS and socio-economic statement

Postby powerlawyer06 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:51 am

triplem25 wrote:So is the consensus that it is okay to talk about ethnicity for the Berkeley DS. I feel it has significantly shaped who I am and so I really want to include it, but I know that they cannot admit based on my ethnicity. Also, should I include a socio-economic statement in addition, one or the other, or maybe combine them?

Also, I think my PS is leaning towards a focus on socio-economic disadvantage, but that is more recent in the last 6 years or so.

ONE PS

ONE DS

Ethnicity is okay to talk about. Make sure they aren't about exactly the same topics. You are writing your PS and DS for next cycle already?

triplem25

Postby triplem25 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:02 am

Haven't started writing them, but I'm gathering ideas. I really want to be on top of my applications. I'm going to dedicate my whole summer just to applications while working/volunteering.

In addition, Berkeley is my top choice.

For Berkeley, if my PS doesn't discuss socio-economic disadvantage, should I just not talk about it at all and only do a DS? In the application, it has you give socio-economic information(optional) for your family and to add any information that might be relevant to considering the information you gave them. Assuming I don't talk about it in my PS, is that then just an addendum?

If that's the case, I guess I'll be writing a PS, DS, and an addendum to the socio-economic section.

Thanks for your help powerlawyer06

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Personal Information: Background, Ethnicity, Sexual Preference

TLS: When and where should a student include information about their background, ethnicity, sexual preference, or any unique attributes?

Dean Tom: “That’s up to the applicant, whether or not they want to share that, but we welcome any kind of that information, especially if the applicant believes that contributed to who they are. And there’s no formal recommended place to include it. It could be in the addendum or as a separate statement. Race, ethnicity and sex are not considered in the review process though.”

TLS: Ok. So you can even do a separate statement, in addition to the resume and the addendum?

Dean Tom: “Sure, sure. That would be fine. I will say this, that we’re much more interested in how it’s presented and this, I think, a lot of applicants ought to know – grammar counts, precision of writing counts, punctuation, spelling all count a lot. And there’s nothing more disappointing than seeing an applicant with a good GPA, but poor writing skills. I don’t know how that happens, but it does. We’re not able at this law school to teach students how to write a sentence. They’ve got to know that coming in.”

TLS: I presume that the personal statement is another place where you could talk about your unique background?

Dean Tom: “Yes, absolutely.”

TLS: Is there any other written material that a student may submit?

Dean Tom: “Yes. You can also send a resume, which I recommend doing. The resumes are generally one page, but that can be exceeded. More information can usually only help your application, so throw in the kitchen sink. There are no interviews, and I want to get to know the human behind the numbers. Also, you can send an addendum, one or two paragraphs on a separate page, dedicated to any particular talking points desired.”

TLS: I think applicants will find that information quite useful. Do you have any additional thoughts on the personal statement?

Dean Tom: “Putting together an entering class is like organizing a choir; we want 270 distinct voices. There are hundreds of similar applicants, but only one of you; so take the opportunity provided by the personal statement to let us hear your voice.”

I just applied to Berkeley and I don't remember a socio-economic essay. If there was one, I tied it into my DS. Btw, good job on starting it now. I applied early and wrote the maximum amount for Berk. and wrote well. I know people with better numbers than me who got straight rejected. I was waitlisted. I really had no business even being waitlisted. good luck

triplem25

Postby triplem25 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks Horchata, that's very helpful.

I will probably just include the socio-economic information in my PS as well given the length of Berkeley's PS. But I think it's applicable to all of the UC schools, the socio-economic issue that is. They all ask information about socio-economic status I think. I think for the others, if I don't have space in my PS, I will just include a short addendum.

Hopefully all this extra preparation will pay off. I have pretty good numbers, but not overly strong for schools like berkeley(.../MA URM).

Thanks again
Last edited by triplem25 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:17 pm

I don't want to put too much stress on you, but as long as you don't mess up the DS and PS I think you're a shoe-in. Get crank'n on those essays! Suerte

triplem25

Postby triplem25 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Thanks Horchata! One more question given that you finished your apps. Do you think it's a good idea to tailor my essay towards Berkeley? I don't want to just add a paragraph at the end(which is very transparent), but I also don't feel that I'm knowledgeable enough. That is, I am not exactly sure the specific area of law that I want to be in, and thus tailoring an essay to Berkeley, I'd be afraid of being too general in my desire to go there. I have visited the campus and obviously it's a great school, just not sure on this topic.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:31 pm

Hey, I would tailor my app. to Berk. (I did). But, there were specific programs and classes at the school to which I tailored my app. I also wrote close to the 4 pages, as well. If you're not knowledgeable enough right now, try to figure some stuff out for yourself before you start writing (i.e. picking an interest at the school, even if it is a little bit of fluff. Hopefully you will have some experiences on your resume to back up what you are saying); it will make the essay more logical and flow better. Don't write any more than is needed, however -- if you can't fill it up, then just leave it alone. If you could have things in your essay lead up to how what you want to do connects to Berk. that would be good. Yeah, like you said, just sticking in a paragraph at the end is little superficial. But, again, if that last paragraph really relates to what you said earlier in your essay then it could work out. Plus, considering you have 4 pages to write, you probably could add more than a paragraph at the end in order to be Berk. specific.

Also, there is nothing wrong with expressing your general desire to go there. If you are genuine, I don't see any reason why that would be a negative. However, it would be a better complement if you had some specifics to talk about. Just start writing then have people critique it. This is a much better way of getting to your essay in tip top shape.

Hope this ramble made sense!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”