Any info from urm's/non-urm's would be greatly appreciated.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
fgoing12

Any info from urm's/non-urm's would be greatly appreciated.

Postby fgoing12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Hey, just a couple of questions. I'm a AA male with four years in the Army and I'm looking towards Law School/Grad school. I attended an average undergrad, had a 3.5 with a double major in Criminal Justice and Political Science along with a minor in Philosophy. I recently took the LSAT and scored a 168. Three Questions: Where should I apply? How much scholarship money should I expect? And, what does it mean to be "dinged?" lol I've seen this term a number of times but still can't figure out what it means. I would like info from urm's as well as non-urm's, and thanks in advance.

Sentry

Re: Any info from urm's/non-urm's would be greatly appreciated.

Postby Sentry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 pm

fgoing12 wrote:Hey, just a couple of questions. I'm a AA male with four years in the Army and I'm looking towards Law School/Grad school. I attended an average undergrad, had a 3.5 with a double major in Criminal Justice and Political Science along with a minor in Philosophy. I recently took the LSAT and scored a 168. Three Questions: Where should I apply? How much scholarship money should I expect? And, what does it mean to be "dinged?" lol I've seen this term a number of times but still can't figure out what it means. I would like info from urm's as well as non-urm's, and thanks in advance.

1.Everywhere! You've got a great shot at any school.
2. You can probably get 60k+ from the Penn and lower.
3. It means to be rejected.

fgoing12

Postby fgoing12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Ideally I'd like Cornell, but I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life lol Thanks for the info though.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:33 pm

i had similar numbers to you and have had some good luck so far, although i applied really late and haven't seen financial offers yet. but i would think that 4 years of military experience would substantially enhance your app relative to mine.

seems like you would have a good shot at any school you want to apply to. if i were you i would apply to any school you might like to attend and see who gives you a financial package and/or opportunity you like.

fgoing12

Postby fgoing12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Lol I don't mean to keep pestering you, nonetheless, how important is it to apply early?

M&A621

Postby M&A621 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm

fgoing12 wrote:Ideally I'd like Cornell, but I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life lol Thanks for the info though.

YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT THE YELLOW RIBBON PROGRAM. I repeat.... YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT THE YELLOW RIBBON PROGRAM .

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution (http://www.gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/c ... ribbon.htm).

Last year Cornell Law contributed $99,999 towards the YRP (http://www.gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/c ... tes/ny.htm).
Meaning? The VA will match that amount ($99,999), that's full-tuition bro.

Other Instutitions of Higher Learning that contributed $99,999 last year?
UCLA School of Law
University of Michigan Law

PM me, I'll give you the jist of it all. Thank God for the united states armed forces, the Post 911 GI Bill & URM status :mrgreen:

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:30 pm

This is the part where you work on your Personal Statement (PS) every bit as hard as you worked on your LSAT. Find the best, most patriotic, noblest story from your military experience and incorporate that into why you want to go to law school - seriously, find something that would make Michael Moore recite the national anthem.

I'm about to get flamed for saying this, but if you work it right, I wouldn't be shocked to see you get into HYS. The reason I know is I'm getting more love than I should, even for a URM, because I spent enough time on my PS. When an adcomm loves you, they commit to purchasing before they even run the numbers on rather they can or not.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:53 pm

fgoing12 wrote:Hey, just a couple of questions. I'm a AA male with four years in the Army and I'm looking towards Law School/Grad school. I attended an average undergrad, had a 3.5 with a double major in Criminal Justice and Political Science along with a minor in Philosophy. I recently took the LSAT and scored a 168. Three Questions: Where should I apply? How much scholarship money should I expect? And, what does it mean to be "dinged?" lol I've seen this term a number of times but still can't figure out what it means. I would like info from urm's as well as non-urm's, and thanks in advance.

1. Depends on where you want to practice. Apply to the T14 schools in the general region you want to end up. Additionally, send out applications to all other T14 schools you would consider and that provide you with merit based fee waiver. Finally, if you like any of the other schools in the top 50, apply to a couple of those too. You probably won't need to attend, but safeties are always a good idea.

2. It's hard to say how much money to expect, if any, but be aware that the very top schools in the T14 are only going to give out need-based grants. You'll be in a better position to get money from schools in the lower T14.

3. When you get a "We regret to inform you..." letter from a school you applied to, you've been dinged.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:57 pm

fgoing12 wrote:Lol I don't mean to keep pestering you, nonetheless, how important is it to apply early?

It's important but not absolutely critical. My applications did not go out until late January - mid February and I have gotten 8 admits and 6 scholarship offers, one of which was to a T14. However, I applied to 5 schools in the T14 and have only heard back from one. I think had I applied earlier in the cycle (i.e. not on the due date) I would have decisions by now.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:04 pm

aspire2more wrote:
fgoing12 wrote:Lol I don't mean to keep pestering you, nonetheless, how important is it to apply early?

It's important but not absolutely critical. My applications did not go out until late January - mid February and I have gotten 8 admits and 6 scholarship offers, one of which was to a T14. However, I applied to 5 schools in the T14 and have only heard back from one. I think had I applied earlier in the cycle (i.e. not on the due date) I would have decisions by now.

Critically.

I saw two girls with the exact same stats (same softs, same GPA, same LSAT, same institution) in this cycle and the last cycle. One applied in early October, the other applied in late December. October girl got a scholarship to GULC. December girl barely got anything from William & Mary and dinged from GULC.

pixytree

Postby pixytree » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Definitely apply early! It shows the school you really want in and can give you that added boost (and early review) to get you over the top in the T14. Speaking from experience here.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”