HBCU Law: NCCU vs FAMU Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
thenupes

New

HBCU Law: NCCU vs FAMU

Post by thenupes » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:35 pm

What are you guy's opinions on both schools? Does anyone attend, or know people who go to either of these institutions to study law?

mez06

Bronze

Re: HBCU Law: NCCU vs FAMU

Post by mez06 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:48 pm

Go to NCCU. FAMU is barely accredited. And at that, NCCU has been around a lot longer and at least they have some type of career prospects even at some law firms. It's respected in NC. I know about 5 people that are 2 AND 3Ls there now. A couple interned in DC for the Black Caucus in Congress. You may not get a 6 figure salary out of it, but the fact that it has been around A LOT longer than FAMU lends a hand.

Plus I think FAMU's law school is in Orlando versus Tallahassee. FAMU's law school hasn't been around for more than 10 years. Dare I say 5?

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:50 pm

Also, it depends on where you want to live. Obviously Howard is the best HBCU career wise, but after that NCCU and Texas Southern are next. Texas Southern if you want Texas obviously and NC Central for NC.

Though Willy Gary is a famous NCCU alum and he practices in Florida.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:15 pm

I work for and with quite a few NCCU grads. They all explicitly encouraged me to go some place else with better job prospects (i.e. more respected). NCCU graduates are competing with UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, and Campbell graduates for a very limited number of jobs. ITE if you really, really want an HBCU law school experience, go to Howard. Otherwise, just find a school with an active BLSA chapter.

thenupes

New

Post by thenupes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:44 am

I know Howard is the best HBCU, but that school ain't happening lol! It's between FAMU and NCCU...applied to Texas Southern but didn't give it much thought. Didn't know it was more respected than FAMU though...

Thanks for the feedback and opinions guys. Keep em coming!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:25 am

1. I'm not sure what the qualification "barely" accredited means. It is in fact accredited.

2. Both of these schools are going to give you awful job prospects and neither of them are worth attending. Your best bet would definitely be to study like crazy and retake the LSAT. The prep forum is your friend.

3. why the red font?

thenupes

New

Post by thenupes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:44 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:1. I'm not sure what the qualification "barely" accredited means. It is in fact accredited.

2. Both of these schools are going to give you awful job prospects and neither of them are worth attending. Your best bet would definitely be to study like crazy and retake the LSAT. The prep forum is your friend.

3. why the red font?

1) You are correct

2) So basically you believe that HBCU Law schools shouldn't exist...correct? It seems like the forum is full of white people who have no idea about the black law schools that MANY black students attend. If you take away the 6 that there are (not including Howard) how many African American lawyers would there be??? So I don't know about the being my "friend" part homie...

3) If you can't figure out why don't worry about it bro lol

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:51 am

thenupes wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:1. I'm not sure what the qualification "barely" accredited means. It is in fact accredited.

3. why the red font?

1) You are correct

2) So basically you believe that HBCU Law schools shouldn't exist...correct? It seems like the forum is full of white people who have no idea about the black law schools that MANY black students attend. If you take away the 6 that there are (not including Howard) how many African American lawyers would there be??? So I don't know about the being my "friend" part homie...

Yes, i'm sorry for wishing you the opportunity to have an actual career when you graduate. Neither of these schools provide much of that. I'm not discriminating against HBCUs, i'm discriminating against schools with miserable job prospects. If you were catholic and asked about ave maria, I'd say the exact same thing.

I didn't say or imply anywhere that HBCUs shouldn't exist. But I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by attending one of these schools. An improved LSAT score could get you into a significantly better law school where you're much more likely to gain meaningful employment upon graduation. Why not go crazy with test prep and shoot for howard?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:51 am

thenupes wrote:

3. why the red font?

1) You are correct

What? being HBCU has nothing to do with the fact they just arent highly regarded schools, in a similar respect to other similarly ranked schools. This isnt a race thing, its a 'school with poor prospects' thing.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:04 am

thenupes wrote:

3. why the red font?

1) You are correct

2) I'm black and I don't think those schools should exist. Stop looking for any reason to allude to racism, "homie."

Anyways, if these are your choices and you're set on going to LS immediately (as opposed to retaking or something) then attend the school that is located in the area you'd like to practice in. Just know that it will be an uphill battle as far as jobs goes, but there are people who don't become statistics . . .

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:08 am

The red font is overkill man. LOL i'm an Alpha by the way. But on a serious note, don't reduce the conversation down to the importance or relevancy of HBCU's. For me, its all about opportunity and paper ya feel me? So chill out on your unfounded assertions about people on this board.

Moving on...

A retake is the best recommended advice. Outside of Howard, the job prospects are pretty bleak coming from the other HBCU's. BUT, if one were to attend a HBCU other than Howard...NCCU and Texas Southern are the only other choices.

FAMU's law school "reinstated" itself as a law school in 2002. It has no extensive alumni base because of this. And with no alumni base, no rapport in the over saturated FL legal market. Check NALP, not one law firm recruits there. The law program is not held in ANY similar regard as the undergrad. I know people who go there to. And not to be rude, its a joke.

You check Texas Southern (Thurgood Marshall School of Law), you at least have 25. That school has alumni in the greater south. PI jobs can be had with that degree. Not great odds, but I do personally know someone who went there, did well, and is making a good living. I know several frat who went there and have held pretty good gov't positions.

NCCU. Like I said, has an extensive alumni. Because of it's inexpensive costs, it actually attracts more than traditional AA students. Some white politicians in NC went there. I too also know SEVERAL people who go there now. You can make something happen with that degree but don't expect the school to provide many jobs. The curve there is crucial. I want to say its a 2.x curve so it's pretty damn hard to be competitive in the greater job market if you don't do well. No one wants a shitty GPA graduate. Yet the mean student will finish with such.

In my opinion, if not Howard then Texas Southern. Then if you must NCCU. AVOID WITH EVERYTHING famu. You're wasting your money there. Also, apply to South Carolina and Michigan State if you haven't already. I know a AA male w/your numbers who got into both

thenupes

New

Post by thenupes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:50 am

mez06 wrote:The red font is overkill man. LOL i'm an Alpha by the way. But on a serious note, don't reduce the conversation down to the importance or relevancy of HBCU's. For me, its all about opportunity and paper ya feel me? So chill out on your unfounded assertions about people on this board.

FAMU's law school "reinstated" itself as a law school in 2002. It has no extensive alumni base because of this. And with no alumni base, no rapport in the over saturated FL legal market. Check NALP, not one law firm recruits there. The law program is not held in ANY similar regard as the undergrad. I know people who go there to. And not to be rude, its a joke.
NCCU. Like I said, has an extensive alumni. Because of it's inexpensive costs, it actually attracts more than traditional AA students. Some white politicians in NC went there. I too also know SEVERAL people who go there now. You can make something happen with that degree but don't expect the school to provide many jobs. The curve there is crucial. I want to say its a 2.x curve so it's pretty damn hard to be competitive in the greater job market if you don't do well. No one wants a shitty GPA graduate. Yet the mean student will finish with such.In my opinion, if not Howard then Texas Southern. Then if you must NCCU. AVOID WITH EVERYTHING famu. You're wasting your money there. Also, apply to South Carolina and Michigan State if you haven't already. I know a AA male w/your numbers who got into both
See, that's the type of advice I'd like to hear!

I just don't listen to people who have no idea about the opportunities a black school can provide for a black student. I personally have family members who have been successful from black law schools. I read this message board alot, and I want people (especially blacks) to be able to find info on OUR institutions. Not just forums that say don't attend. That's why it upsets me when some guys say, "Oh yea def don't go there". They said the same about my undergrad university and I turned out VERY well.

Damn! Yall really stressin over my red font lol... Alpha huh..? I'm sry. Shoulda pledged a real frat homie!

YO TO THE NUPES!!!

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:54 am

i like colors

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 am

This is going nowhere fast... :roll:

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:21 am

cartercl wrote:This is going nowhere fast... :roll:
LOL I was thinking the same thing. IBTL

thenupes

New

Post by thenupes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:29 am

DeeCee wrote:
cartercl wrote:This is going nowhere fast... :roll:
LOL I was thinking the same thing. IBTL
Then why post? Y'all worse than rap websites I swear.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:35 am

short, sweet answer to your question is NCCU, if that's what you're looking for. FAMU shouldn't even be considered. But, as someone from NC I'd highly advise you to choose a different school because so many grads from UNC/Wake/Duke (though Duke grads often leave the state) take the NC market. You should pick the school that is in the best interests of your career, not your law school experience (though understandably, you should be OK with your experience)

thenupes

New

Post by thenupes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 am

DeeCee wrote:short, sweet answer to your question is NCCU, if that's what you're looking for. FAMU shouldn't even be considered. But, as someone from NC I'd highly advise you to choose a different school because so many grads from UNC/Wake/Duke (though Duke grads often leave the state) take the NC market. You should pick the school that is in the best interests of your career, not your law school experience (though understandably, you should be OK with your experience)
Thank you. Great answer 8)

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:40 am

Do you have a scholarship to either school?

thenupes

New

Post by thenupes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 am

cartercl wrote:Do you have a scholarship to either school?
Yes to both.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:02 am

thenupes wrote:
Yes to both.
Okay. Well, I don't know very much about NCCU (and maybe that's a good thing), but everything I've personally been told about FAMU is horrible, from the administration to the job prospects. That place is one of the worst law schools in the country. Period. Do not go there under any circumstances.

The advice about NCCU being overlooked is credited though. The same thing happens here in Louisiana with Southern. I know several people there now who are in serious jeopardy of not having a paid job lined up post-graduation because Tulane, LSU, and Loyola own the market (in that order). NCCU is not Southern, and North Carolina is not Louisiana... I'm just saying. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Also: Is it HBCU or nothing for you? Just asking because as an AA male you could probably get into a non-HBCU school with better career prospects.

thenupes

New

Post by thenupes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:24 am

cartercl wrote:
thenupes wrote:
Yes to both.
Okay. Well, I don't know very much about NCCU (and maybe that's a good thing), but everything I've personally been told about FAMU is horrible, from the administration to the job prospects. That place is one of the worst law schools in the country. Period. Do not go there under any circumstances.

The advice about NCCU being overlooked is credited though. The same thing happens here in Louisiana with Southern. I know several people there now who are in serious jeopardy of not having a paid job lined up post-graduation because Tulane, LSU, and Loyola own the market (in that order). NCCU is not Southern, and North Carolina is not Louisiana... I'm just saying. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Also: Is it HBCU or nothing for you? Just asking because as an AA male you could probably get into a non-HBCU school with better career prospects.
Appreciate the advice man. FAMU is looking pretty bad lol!

I am actually leaning toward NCCU not only because it is an HBCU, but because they have a offer the JD/MBA duel degree. I majored in Business. I also have some pretty good connections, so I'm not as worried about job prospects as the average student would be. I'm more so looking for quality education, and a great experience. I do feel an HBCU would provide that better than any other institution, but I am not set on attending a black school.

pattonthicke

Bronze

Post by pattonthicke » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:12 am

cartercl wrote:Appreciate the advice man. FAMU is looking pretty bad lol!

I am actually leaning toward NCCU not only because it is an HBCU, but because they have a offer the JD/MBA duel degree. I majored in Business. I also have some pretty good connections, so I'm not as worried about job prospects as the average student would be. I'm more so looking for quality education, and a great experience. I do feel an HBCU would provide that better than any other institution, but I am not set on attending a black school.
cartercl wrote:
thenupes wrote:
Yes to both.

Appreciate the advice man. FAMU is looking pretty bad lol!

If you are not as worried about job prospects then that changes this whole debate. Ppl tell you stuff like retake b/c they assume that most inspiring law students are worried about such things. The fact is, outside of howard, if a person is worried about jobs, then an hbcu is not for them. But in your case, just go wherever cept famu.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 am

I might of missed something, but why not Howard? I really wouldn't recommend NCCU or FAMU, but Howard isn't necessarily a bad choice. They have good firm placement b/c they call go there for AA recruiting. Man, you should be able to get into Howard, as long as you have over a 150 and 3.0.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:15 am

NCCU's steep 1L attrition rate should be a cause for concern. According to the TLS profile: "A potential disadvantage to NCCU is its high 1L attrition rate (22.1% for the class entering in 2008 and 17.9% for the class entering in 2007). According to LSAC, 22 of the 42 students who entered in 2007 and did not return for a second year were academically dismissed, as NCCU dismisses students who have not achieved a GPA of 2.0 or higher at the end of their 1L years." :shock:

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”