What are my chances as a Hispanic?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
colorando

What are my chances as a Hispanic?

Postby colorando » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Hey all hoping for a idea of what kind of application I need to put together next cycle.
right now my stats are 3.3 167 and I am a south american hispanic. I should add that my diversity statement goes beyond just being born to a hispanic(interesting background).

I'm seriously looking at michigan law, and I know that some "other" hispanics have had very good luck there. Where do I need to get my LSAT to have a serious chance at admission? LSP has me at a consider at 170 and a strong consider at 171 (with the URM box checked)

couple of other questions:
If I retake and get a 169 (or even 170) should I ED?

If I'm trying to get my application in early, how early is early? If I shoot for retaking in October will I still have complete applications early enough to distinguish myself? Or will the hispanic factor give me a shot?

DeeCee

Re: What are my chances as a Hispanic?

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 am

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=133626&p=4122503#p4122503

check out this thread. Also, I think your chances could be OK at Mich--I got WL with a 157/3.95.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:47 pm

I can't speak to Michigan specifically but...

colorando wrote:If I retake and get a 169 (or even 170) should I ED?

Only if you're willing and able to go regardless of finances.

colorando wrote:If I'm trying to get my application in early, how early is early? If I shoot for retaking in October will I still have complete applications early enough to distinguish myself? Or will the hispanic factor give me a shot?

Early = within a few of weeks or so of the application becoming available. Yes the October test date is early enough, as most schools allow you to still apply ED with October scores. If you will be in a better position to retake in October, you should do so then.

tbenting

Postby tbenting » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Check out New Mexico. I'm white, so I barely got in, but it's super cheap and "minority" friendly.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”