Fold my hand and apply next year???

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Apply next year?

Apply next year
14%
Wustl (full-ride small living stipend)
20%
Illinois (full-ride)
20%
NYU
45%

Total votes: 44

applepiecrust

Re: Fold my hand and apply next year???

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:50 pm

northwood wrote:op- it seems as though you are not happy with your cycle so far. re take and re apply. what you should do, is contact the admissions office for the schools you really want . Not only will it help you figure out what part of you application you need to work on, but its also a sign that you really want to go there.

LOL at retake. Retake for what? 180? That's not helping anything.

But definitely contact admissions offices to work on what was missing. I did that with undergrad admissions for just the heck of it, and it was very helpful.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:51 pm

northwood wrote:op- it seems as though you are not happy with your cycle so far. re take and re apply. what you should do, is contact the admissions office for the schools you really want . Not only will it help you figure out what part of you application you need to work on, but its also a sign that you really want to go there.

Lol at the suggestion to retake a 178. What is the threshold now 179? 180? What score can deter a "retake" response? I don't even think you meant to put that, I seriously believe that was an unconscious Freudian slip thanks to TLS.

pattonthicke

Postby pattonthicke » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:51 pm

lolwut

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:53 pm

applepiecrust wrote:

But definitely contact admissions offices to work on what was missing. I did that with undergrad admissions for just the heck of it, and it was very helpful.

its a habit:if you are going to re apply, re take. obv the op doesnt need to do this, but definately talk to admissions. Also consider getting another letter writer, or critiquing your statements.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:54 pm

applepiecrust wrote:

Dammit apple pie crust, you beat me to the punch. I was determined to be the first to comment on that ridiculous suggestion. I even saw that there was another post recently put up, but I ignored it hoping that it wasn't commenting on that specific response. lol

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:54 pm

sojasoph wrote:HI guys I thought I would have a little better of a cycle. So I think I should apply as early as possible next year with a completely new personal statement and diversity statement.

I do not need to go to law school this cycle. I would enjoy teaching for another year but I would need to start making the preperations now. Question is do you think I could expect a better cycle next round?

Who are these people voting? You should have at least a chance at HYS and get a full ride somewhere T10.

I would apply first thing next fall. Make sure that your app is flawless and write Why? essays for all of your targets.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:04 pm

fatduck wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
fatduck wrote:I forget which school but I have heard of applicants being admitted off the waitlist if they'll wait a year.

I think I heard that about Duke? Which I guess wouldn't help OP out too much...

did you change my name to fatback?

My badddd!!! lol i fixed what I could... :oops:

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:25 pm

How do you feel about attending NYU this year? Have you considered trying to negotiate $$ with them?

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:12 pm

What do I negotiate with, "I'll raise you three waitlists for $10,000 a year." just kidding. I love nyu I would just like to have some kind of choice. And thier cost of living scares me. I'm sorry but I think I will go against the majority here, and apply next cycle with addenda and WHYs. Anyways I would not mind moving abroad again and maybe even getting married before law school. I thought a good LSAT would mitigate a not so hot ug. Isn't it supposed to be an equalizer. Though looking at professors at most law schools you see that they all had pretty prestigious ug.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:45 pm

sojasoph wrote:What do I negotiate with, "I'll raise you three waitlists for $10,000 a year." just kidding. I love nyu I would just like to have some kind of choice. And thier cost of living scares me. I'm sorry but I think I will go against the majority here, and apply next cycle with addenda and WHYs. Anyways I would not mind moving abroad again and maybe even getting married before law school. I thought a good LSAT would mitigate a not so hot ug. Isn't it supposed to be an equalizer. Though looking at professors at most law schools you see that they all had pretty prestigious ug.

It's not your UG, it's your GPA. Schools tend to be more forgiving of low LSAT than low GPA for URM candidates. I have to say, though, your cycle was a cycle that you would expect for a non-URM candidate with your numbers. Something is wrong here, and I think if you get it fixed you will do great next fall.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Dude, if someone tells you to retake, they're an idiot. What's wrong with NYU? If I were you I would seriously consider it. However, if you have your heart set on HYS then think about strengthening the other components of your application, especially your gpa. Take two online college courses if need be, but again, if I were you I would be on my way to NYU.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:02 pm

hes out of undergrad for 2 years, so that gpa is set in stone.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:17 pm

DukeCornell wrote:Dude, if someone tells you to retake, they're an idiot. What's wrong with NYU? If I were you I would seriously consider it. However, if you have your heart set on HYS then think about strengthening the other components of your application, especially your gpa. Take two online college courses if need be, but again, if I were you I would be on my way to NYU.

The point is not that anything is wrong with NYU, it's that he should get $$ there.

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:04 am

Don't you think a non-urm would have gotten into at least one of the lower top-14 with my numbers? It's not even about nyu with money for me, it's about t-14 with a little money. And I kinda wanna practice in the south.
I am not dissatisfied I just want the best options with what I got and I dont mind redoing everything if it will give me better options.

Anywho I really appreciate the advice I got from you guys I would be completely lost without tls.

I made a new poll if you wanna vote.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:22 am

Sub 3.3 + NYU acceptance + You want to do PI (LRAP = less debt concerns) = GO TO NYU. With your GPA you can't get that much better of a result. You're accepted to a school with one of the best (some may argue best) PI programs, which also a generous LRAP and guaranteed summer funding for PI clinics. Don't pass up that opportunity! Also why is VA so high on your list if you want PI? NYU draws a lot more prestigious PI firms than UVA does and UVA's summer program is not that great compared to NYU's

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 am

bhan87 wrote:Sub 3.3 + NYU acceptance + You want to do PI (LRAP = less debt concerns) = GO TO NYU. With your GPA you can't get that much better of a result. You're accepted to a school with one of the best (some may argue best) PI programs, which also a generous LRAP and guaranteed summer funding for PI clinics. Don't pass up that opportunity! Also why is VA so high on your list if you want PI? NYU draws a lot more prestigious PI firms than UVA does and UVA's summer program is not that great compared to NYU's

Well, the UVA thing was because I naively thought I would get a couple of dollars from them. Even with the lrap the debt will be hovering over my head if I wanted to make a large purchase and it will factor in my spouces income. In short I am very debt adverse even if it is not rational at times.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:06 pm

sojasoph wrote:Don't you think a non-urm would have gotten into at least one of the lower top-14 with my numbers? It's not even about nyu with money for me, it's about t-14 with a little money. And I kinda wanna practice in the south.
I am not dissatisfied I just want the best options with what I got and I dont mind redoing everything if it will give me better options.

Anywho I really appreciate the advice I got from you guys I would be completely lost without tls.

I made a new poll if you wanna vote.

Yes. Here's a non-URM who got $ at UVA: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FutureJAG/jd

This is an underperformance for your numbers. If you still want to go, that's fine, but you should be aware of that.

My gut feeling is that you either got a bad recommendation or your essays were terrible. I would make sure you get any issues there corrected if you want to apply next fall.

ETA: Here's a non-URM who got $$ at Michigan: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MiniMao/jd

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm sorry, OP, an addendum and new LORs are not going to get you into schools that didn't want you this cycle. Deposit at NYU at the last possible minute and concentrate on getting off those waitlists. If you applied for need-based financial aid, you might still get money, even off a waitlist.

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:13 pm

danidancer wrote:I'm sorry, OP, an addendum and new LORs are not going to get you into schools that didn't want you this cycle. Deposit at NYU at the last possible minute and concentrate on getting off those waitlists. If you applied for need-based financial aid, you might still get money, even off a waitlist.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:18 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:This is an underperformance for your numbers.

THIS.

I honestly think there is something you're not telling us about your application. You must have either put together a really poor application or you have some kind of academic red flag. I know AA males with lower numbers (and minimal softs) who have had much, much, better cycles. Something is WRONG.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:10 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:

THIS.

I honestly think there is something you're not telling us about your application. You must have either put together a really poor application or you have some kind of academic red flag. I know AA males with lower numbers (and minimal softs) who have had much, much, better cycles. Something is WRONG.

+1,000,000,000

My LSAT score is embarrassingly lower than yours and I've had a much better cycle so far.

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:14 am

THIS.

1. It took me longer than four years of ug, but I worked full time and had two majors.
2. Community college?
3. I did poorly in a pre-law class at the begining of my ug, I retook it and got an A.
4. My average LSAT is a 171.
5. I was the president of a club for one of my majors then after two years after a study abroad I stopped being part of the club. I finished the major and got a lor from a new professor (both old professors for the major died) who probably didnt mention/ know I was once the president of the club. Perhaps that seemed weird in my application.
6. I'm mixed, I don't know if that had an impact on my urm status I also noted I didn't identify with the black community until I went to college because my black parent was
absent. I'm really grasping at straws here..... :|
7. My ps was not "why I want to go to law school" but rather how I became passionate about learning and that helped me escape a negative environment.
8. Overall perhaps my ds was not serious enough, I don't know.....

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:34 am

Does anyone know if they generally refer back to old apps if you are a reapplicant.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 am

sojasoph wrote:Does anyone know if they generally refer back to old apps if you are a reapplicant.

On some applications it asks if you have previously applied, if so what term/year.

Postby 20121109 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:16 pm

sojasoph wrote:

THIS.

1. It took me longer than four years of ug, but I worked full time and had two majors.
2. Community college?
3. I did poorly in a pre-law class at the begining of my ug, I retook it and got an A.
4. My average LSAT is a 171.
5. I was the president of a club for one of my majors then after two years after a study abroad I stopped being part of the club. I finished the major and got a lor from a new professor (both old professors for the major died) who probably didnt mention/ know I was once the president of the club. Perhaps that seemed weird in my application.
6. I'm mixed, I don't know if that had an impact on my urm status I also noted I didn't identify with the black community until I went to college because my black parent was
absent. I'm really grasping at straws here..... :|
7. My ps was not "why I want to go to law school" but rather how I became passionate about learning and that helped me escape a negative environment.
8. Overall perhaps my ds was not serious enough, I don't know.....

1 - 5 Pretty certain this all had zero effect on your application
6. This definitely should not hurt you.. Last year, there was a woman on TLS named booby87 who was mixed race and got in EVERYWHERE, including all of HYS. Believe me when I tell you this is not the problem.
7. I had a similar PS. This is should not have hurt you either.
8. This is so vague I don't even really know what to say...

Absolutely none of these things should have such a demonstrably detrimental effect on your application. That your average LSAT is a 171 is a big fucking deal. Very, very few AAs, especially AA males even crack the 170s. That you have a 171 average, with your highest being a 178, should mean that you're probably like one of the top 5, at least top 10, AA males in this application cycle.

I stand by what I said; there must be something else you're not telling us. Something is truly toxic and I suggest you start from scratch, put together an excellent application complete with shining LORs, PS/DS and reapply.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”