sojasoph wrote: GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:This is an underperformance for your numbers.
I honestly think there is something you're not telling us about your application. You must have either put together a really poor application or you have some kind of academic red flag. I know AA males with lower numbers (and minimal softs) who have had much, much, better cycles. Something is WRONG.
1. It took me longer than four years of ug, but I worked full time and had two majors.
2. Community college?
3. I did poorly in a pre-law class at the begining of my ug, I retook it and got an A.
4. My average LSAT is a 171.
5. I was the president of a club for one of my majors then after two years after a study abroad I stopped being part of the club. I finished the major and got a lor from a new professor (both old professors for the major died) who probably didnt mention/ know I was once the president of the club. Perhaps that seemed weird in my application.
6. I'm mixed, I don't know if that had an impact on my urm status I also noted I didn't identify with the black community until I went to college because my black parent was
absent. I'm really grasping at straws here.....
7. My ps was not "why I want to go to law school" but rather how I became passionate about learning and that helped me escape a negative environment.
8. Overall perhaps my ds was not serious enough, I don't know.....
1 - 5 Pretty certain this all had zero effect on your application
6. This definitely should not hurt you.. Last year, there was a woman on TLS named booby87 who was mixed race and got in EVERYWHERE, including all of HYS. Believe me when I tell you this is not the problem.
7. I had a similar PS. This is should not have hurt you either.
8. This is so vague I don't even really know what to say...
Absolutely none of these things should have such a demonstrably detrimental effect on your application. That your average LSAT is a 171 is a big fucking deal. Very, very few AAs, especially AA males even crack the 170s. That you have a 171 average, with your highest being a 178, should mean that you're probably like one of the top 5, at least top 10, AA males in this application cycle.
I stand by what I said; there must be something else you're not telling us. Something is truly toxic and I suggest you start from scratch, put together an excellent application complete with shining LORs, PS/DS and reapply.