Fold my hand and apply next year??? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Apply next year?

Apply next year
13%
Wustl (full-ride small living stipend)
22%
Illinois (full-ride)
20%
NYU
44%

Total votes: 45

sojasoph

Bronze

Re: Fold my hand and apply next year???

Post by sojasoph » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Your right I'm starting over with all new lor and new ps and ds.
I'm in no hurry.
Sorry about being vague, I think I didn't put my ds in the context of a greater community and just talked about how it changed me.

Thanks a lot for your time and help guys. I hope yalls cycles are going great !

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:25 pm

best of luck. i found that using tls for critiques for my ps worked wonders!

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:54 pm

I'd personally take the money at St. Louis and run. Coming out of LS with no debt at a Tier 1 school would be awesome.

However, if you want to go to UVA and practice in the south, your GPA is not a death sentence for your application. By all means, try again but not with the same PS.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:22 pm

NYU is a damn good law school that will not limit you in any significant way if you apply yourself while there. if you're happy with that (or any of your other options) you should probably ignore everyone who says you should've done better -- not that they're wrong, just who cares? where you didn't go is pretty irrelevant, where you do go is what matters (despite some random ass article i read the other day).

if you're not happy with your options, of course re-apply.

privatemf

New

Post by privatemf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:36 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
sojasoph wrote:Don't you think a non-urm would have gotten into at least one of the lower top-14 with my numbers? It's not even about nyu with money for me, it's about t-14 with a little money. And I kinda wanna practice in the south.
I am not dissatisfied I just want the best options with what I got and I dont mind redoing everything if it will give me better options.

Anywho I really appreciate the advice I got from you guys I would be completely lost without tls.

I made a new poll if you wanna vote.
Yes. Here's a non-URM who got $ at UVA: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FutureJAG/jd

This is an underperformance for your numbers. If you still want to go, that's fine, but you should be aware of that.

My gut feeling is that you either got a bad recommendation or your essays were terrible. I would make sure you get any issues there corrected if you want to apply next fall.

ETA: Here's a non-URM who got $$ at Michigan: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MiniMao/jd
I think that this URM is being harped on a lot. I haven't started the process so I am not 100% sure, but although you are an URM that doesn't mean that the flood gates are going to open. Anything worth having is worth working for. I wish I had your numbers and your opportunities. Good luck, but when opportunity knocks...
Last edited by privatemf on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

privatemf

New

Post by privatemf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:41 pm

sojasoph wrote:Your right I'm starting over with all new lor and new ps and ds.
I'm in no hurry.
Sorry about being vague, I think I didn't put my ds in the context of a greater community and just talked about how it changed me.

Thanks a lot for your time and help guys. I hope yalls cycles are going great !

So are you just dropping everything this year for a school. I mean you really got some good offers and it is not over yet. If you start over are you going to try a Law School Consultant? What about assistance with your personal statement, DV statement? I have the Ann Livine book the Law School Admissions Game. It was pretty informative. Could it have been the timing of your application?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:43 pm

did you talk or email your law school counselor that LSAC sets you up with? my person was pretty helpful and really assisted me with the application process. just a thought

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:This is an underperformance for your numbers.
THIS.

I honestly think there is something you're not telling us about your application. You must have either put together a really poor application or you have some kind of academic red flag. I know AA males with lower numbers (and minimal softs) who have had much, much, better cycles. Something is WRONG.
+1,000,000,000

My LSAT score is embarrassingly lower than yours and I've had a much better cycle so far.
Ha! I was thinking this as well. I've yet to receive a R/WL/D and OP's LSAT is a God compared to mine. :lol:

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:27 am

I do not understand what you are trying to say...

privatemf wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
sojasoph wrote:Don't you think a non-urm would have gotten into at least one of the lower top-14 with my numbers? It's not even about nyu with money for me, it's about t-14 with a little money. And I kinda wanna practice in the south.
I am not dissatisfied I just want the best options with what I got and I dont mind redoing everything if it will give me better options.

Anywho I really appreciate the advice I got from you guys I would be completely lost without tls.

I made a new poll if you wanna vote.
Yes. Here's a non-URM who got $ at UVA: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FutureJAG/jd

This is an underperformance for your numbers. If you still want to go, that's fine, but you should be aware of that.

My gut feeling is that you either got a bad recommendation or your essays were terrible. I would make sure you get any issues there corrected if you want to apply next fall.

ETA: Here's a non-URM who got $$ at Michigan: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MiniMao/jd
I think that this URM is being harped on a lot. I haven't started the process so I am 100% sure, but although you are an URM that doesn't mean that the flood gates are going to open. Anything worth having is worth working for. I wish I had your numbers and your opportunities. Good luck, but when opportunity knocks...

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:31 am

northwood wrote:did you talk or email your law school counselor that LSAC sets you up with? my person was pretty helpful and really assisted me with the application process. just a thought
No, I have not but I really put a lot more faith in tls than any counselor, but I guess It would be another set of eyes. One of my LOR told me not to worry about other schools just apply to smu.

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:31 am

I hope her loc is not like her advice.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 am

i think that LOR could be an issue.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:09 pm

sojasoph wrote:I do not understand what you are trying to say...

privatemf wrote:I think that this URM is being harped on a lot. I haven't started the process so I am 100% sure, but although you are an URM that doesn't mean that the flood gates are going to open. Anything worth having is worth working for. I wish I had your numbers and your opportunities. Good luck, but when opportunity knocks...
That person seems to be saying that URM status is being overblown (which it is not) and you should be thankful for the opportunities you have and not use URM status to help you get places (which is stupid stupid advice with lots of wrong reasoning in it).

privatemf

New

Post by privatemf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:18 pm

bk187 wrote:

privatemf wrote:I think that this URM is being harped on a lot. I haven't started the process so I am 100% sure, but although you are an URM that doesn't mean that the flood gates are going to open. Anything worth having is worth working for. I wish I had your numbers and your opportunities. Good luck, but when opportunity knocks...
That person seems to be saying that URM status is being overblown (which it is not) and you should be thankful for the opportunities you have and not use URM status to help you get places (which is stupid stupid advice with lots of wrong reasoning in it).
So I guess this a "no wholes barred" attitude on this board. I think that he received great offers; and the comments that I read about him being an AA so he should be in were ridiclous. I am an URM, AA and NA(registered) but I don't think that is a free pass to law school. If he waits who is to say he will get in, there are thousands of applicants applying to the same school all the time. If he feels like it is worth doing over then by all means go ahead.

I would like to know why you think my advice is so stupid and what is wrong with my reasoning?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:23 pm

privatemf wrote:So I guess this a "no wholes barred" attitude on this board. I think that he received great offers; and the comments that I read about him being an AA so he should be in were ridiclous. I am an URM, AA and NA(registered) but I don't think that is a free pass to law school. If he waits who is to say he will get in, there are thousands of applicants applying to the same school all the time. If he feels like it is worth doing over then by all means go ahead.

I would like to know why you think my advice is so stupid and what is wrong with my reasoning?
OP is a URM and can get into much better schools due to a combination of numbers and URM status. Law school admissions is very formulaic which is why people can say this with a great deal of accuracy and be right a lot of the time. While there are thousands of the applicants, there are very few URMs and there are even fewer URMs with numbers as good as OP's (for reference I think the number of AA 175+ scorers is around 20 or so a year). Th thing is, people can say that a certain number set with URM status should get in at a given place since these schools based their 95% of their decisions off of those things.

Because OP did not perform as the numbers indicated, it is very likely due to something else (such as a bad PS, bad LOR, etc) and if it is possible to remedy that problem then the OP should do that because the offers received next year with the problem fixed will be a lot better than the offers received this year.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:29 pm

privatemf wrote:So I guess this a "no wholes barred" attitude on this board.
--ImageRemoved--

I just barred your whole, bro.

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:22 pm

bk187 wrote:

1. It is being harped on because it is a major factor like GPA, LSAT, Undergrad, work experience. example: one might think the lsat is a silly test that is easily learned but you should still harp on it because it is a major factor.
2. I don't know anything about any flood gates opening up, never experienced it but I think it would be scary.
3. Yeah sure a lot of things are worth working for like the LSAT and perhaps I should work harder on my app and apply next year.
4. What ever your numbers and opportunities are I hope you make sure you are getting the most you can from them because it is a very important step in your life.
5. "when opportunity knocks..." ? what i am trying to do which I hope is what you will try to do is make sure I am making the right choice based off the factors that I care about and opportunities that are available based off the factors that they care about. Just because there is an opportunity doesn't mean I should jump through the door... I hope you are also cautious about an opportunity that cost $150,000.

I guess that is why we thought your reasoning was faulty. It sounded like you were just reading inspirational posters.

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:30 pm

privatemf wrote:
bk187 wrote:

So I guess this a "no wholes barred" attitude on this board. I think that he received great offers; and the comments that I read about him being an AA so he should be in were ridiclous. I am an URM, AA and NA(registered) but I don't think that is a free pass to law school. If he waits who is to say he will get in, there are thousands of applicants applying to the same school all the time. If he feels like it is worth doing over then by all means go ahead.

Are you writing this stuff drunk?

cblawstudent2014

New

Post by cblawstudent2014 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

OMG!!! I missed the deadline for USF and Hastings :( I was ready to go. Annual review at work threw me off comepletly. Still waiting on Feb. LSAT scores... fold and apply again next year? Sigh.

Still have a few third tier school to apply to so all is not lost.
Am I also late for the fin aid app for UCLA and Davis? I've worked so hard over the last year to apply to just blow it still working on overcoming self doubt and insecurity.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:15 pm

cblawstudent2014 wrote:OMG!!! I missed the deadline for USF and Hastings :( I was ready to go. Annual review at work threw me off comepletly. Still waiting on Feb. LSAT scores... fold and apply again next year? Sigh.

Still have a few third tier school to apply to so all is not lost.
Am I also late for the fin aid app for UCLA and Davis? I've worked so hard over the last year to apply to just blow it still working on overcoming self doubt and insecurity.

Apply next year. Get all of your applications ready and submit them on the first day possible. You will have a better chance at scholarships and acceptances.

keep working on your self doubt and insecurity. Confidence is key for law school- as it is very stressful. An extra year working will help your financial situtation

privatemf

New

Post by privatemf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 am

sojasoph wrote:
bk187 wrote:

1. It is being harped on because it is a major factor like GPA, LSAT, Undergrad, work experience. example: one might think the lsat is a silly test that is easily learned but you should still harp on it because it is a major factor.
2. I don't know anything about any flood gates opening up, never experienced it but I think it would be scary.
3. Yeah sure a lot of things are worth working for like the LSAT and perhaps I should work harder on my app and apply next year.
4. What ever your numbers and opportunities are I hope you make sure you are getting the most you can from them because it is a very important step in your life.
5. "when opportunity knocks..." ? what i am trying to do which I hope is what you will try to do is make sure I am making the right choice based off the factors that I care about and opportunities that are available based off the factors that they care about. Just because there is an opportunity doesn't mean I should jump through the door... I hope you are also cautious about an opportunity that cost $150,000.

I guess that is why we thought your reasoning was faulty. It sounded like you were just reading inspirational posters.
You received two full scholarships? I believe that is a wonderful opportunity. To each there own.

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:49 pm

I dont want to make seem like these are not great opportunities, but if i am going to invest my life into this career which, unfortunatly cares so much about where you went to school, i want to make sure i have the best start that is possible. I think that is only rational.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 pm

sojasoph wrote:I dont want to make seem like these are not great opportunities, but if i am going to invest my life into this career which, unfortunatly cares so much about where you went to school, i want to make sure i have the best start that is possible. I think that is only rational.
This is the best way to approach the law school admissions process.

Good luck with your revised application :)

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:19 pm

I think you guys should also remember that the URM boost is more for reverse splitters than splitters. (I think assuming URMs sometimes don't have access to the same LSAT prep materials, but a good GPA indicates a good work ethic etc etc) It probably comes down the softs a lot more for these kind of circumstances too.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:23 pm

czelede wrote:I think you guys should also remember that the URM boost is more for reverse splitters than splitters. (I think assuming URMs sometimes don't have access to the same LSAT prep materials, but a good GPA indicates a good work ethic etc etc) It probably comes down the softs a lot more for these kind of circumstances too.
While this is generally true, for splitters with mediocre (3.0-3.5) GPAs as opposed to awful GPAs (2.5-3.0) this isn't necessarily true. With a mediocre GPA and a 175-180 LSAT you are in the running HCCN with good money at the lower T14 which definitely shows a boost compared to non-URM candidates.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”