Selected law as next career choice; any help would be great! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a1csky

New

Selected law as next career choice; any help would be great!

Post by a1csky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:51 am

Good evening, from Korea! I'm a black male, currently serving in the Air Force and stationed in Korea. I'm about halfway to my undergrad degree and I've decided to pursue a career in law.

I attended the Defense Language Institute in sunny Monterey, CA and learned Korean there. Now, I'm working in intelligence but my enlistment ends in three years and I, frankly, have zero desire to continue my intelligence work. Anyways, I've been contemplating the future and perusing this site and the forums for several weeks now and have made up my mind about my future career. I did not come to this decision lightly; I've done significant research into many other careers and have found that although some may prove interesting, they're not at the top of my list.

I am about to continue my education in the next month, probably towards a degree in English. I have several questions regarding law school though.

Besides job prospects post-law school, what are the advantages to attending schools such as Yale, Harvard, etc.?

For those of you who have selected an area of study, what led you to your decision?

As an undergrad and about two years from obtaining my degree, what can I do now to prepare myself for the LSAT and law school?

What schools, if any, are more receptive to military veterans?

Thank you all very much...I appreciate any help provided.

kwais

Gold

Re: Selected law as next career choice; any help would be great!

Post by kwais » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 am

Others will give you more substantive advice, but certainly keep a close eye on your GPA and study for the LSAT until it is second nature. With competitive numbers, it sounds like your soft factors will be plenty sufficient. The are nearly unlimited advantages (legal and otherwise) to attending Yale and Harvard. Good Luck.

pixytree

Bronze

Re: Selected law as next career choice; any help would be great!

Post by pixytree » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:20 am

I would say study and do extracurriculars (if possible) that you enjoy and ideally, are passionate about. Of course, pay attention to your grades and when the time comes, don't take the lsat lightly- study hard.

As for HYS, they're not vital to a law career, but they will certainly help. But I would suggest taking the next two years to evaluate what you like about your current environment, what you don't and what new experiences you want to have. That will help you decide what school environment is best for you. In the end, the school that is best for you is the school you'll enjoy and at which you'll feel encouraged to do your best for 3 years.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”