Letters of Rec

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Sh@keNb@ke

Letters of Rec

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Tried to search around the forum to answer my question, but couldn't find any really good info. I go to UC school where class sizes are big and building a strong connection with a professor to get a strong letter of rec is pretty difficult, so would it be fine to have letters of rec from a former boss, a professor, and the academic dean of advising at my school? I was going to shoot for two professors, but I'm always in my advisers office and I feel like she can really speak well to a lot of my strengths and potential. Thoughts? Thanks in advance everyone.

2L2011

Re: Letters of Rec

Postby 2L2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Professors are preferable, but yeah I've known people who used other sources. Employers are ok(but it helps more if it was in a legal field than nonlegal) Volunteer work seems to be a good source of LOR's too.

To be honest, they are mostly just a formality. Get them as good as you can, and then don't give it a second thought.

GPA/LSAT. That's where it's at. The LOR's are just for proof that you aren't some reclusive freak who's going to shoot up the school if he gets a C- in his first term.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:20 pm

2L2011 wrote:Professors are preferable, but yeah I've known people who used other sources. Employers are ok(but it helps more if it was in a legal field than nonlegal) Volunteer work seems to be a good source of LOR's too.

To be honest, they are mostly just a formality. Get them as good as you can, and then don't give it a second thought.

GPA/LSAT. That's where it's at. The LOR's are just for proof that you aren't some reclusive freak who's going to shoot up the school if he gets a C- in his first term.

Pretty much this. Don't kill yourself over a professor who will write you an impersonal, mediocre letter over a former employer who will give you a glowing recommendation. I went to a UC as well and I had this same initial issue. Ended up with a former employer, a former co worker, and my counselor for my major. If you can get it, great, if not, no worries. My cycle is shaping up just fine.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:11 pm

I had one from a professor and one from the Sports Information Director at my school (I work with the basketball team and how him pretty well).

Things have been going alright thus far. Got into a SUPER reach with those two, so you should be fine. A good rec from a non-professor is much better than a crappy one from a professor

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks yall for the responses, it was very helpful.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”