The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jasonc.
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 am

The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby jasonc. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 pm

http://www.mcca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.viewPage&pageId=483&parentID=477&nodeID=1


I didnt qualify but it does look like a good opportunity.


The Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) Lloyd M. Johnson, Jr. Scholarship Program provides scholarship support for newly entering first year law students pursuing a Juris Doctor (non-L.L.M.) degree. The Scholarship Program will provide scholarships at $10,000 per year for up to three years. The total commitment per student is up to $30,000. In addition, several students will also receive a one-time award of $10,000 to assist with their first year expenses. MCCA intends to foster mentoring opportunities for the selected scholars as well as assist in the placement of the winners in paid summer internship positions with corporate law departments during the summer immediately following successful completion of their first year of law school.

Applicants must be U.S. citizens and able to show proof of same, if requested. Applicant must show proof of his/her acceptance into an ABA-accredited U.S. law school on or before the application deadline (to start in fall 2011). Applicant must have an interest in corporate law, including an interest in working in a corporate law department and/or law firm. Applicant must have an interest in diversity. Applicant must be financially disadvantaged and have completed the FAFSA and provide additional documents as requested. Applicant must demonstrate community service and leadership qualities. Applicant must have earned an undergraduate cumulative G.P.A. of 3.2 or higher. Applicant must be enrolled in law school on a FULL-TIME basis in the fall 2011.

User avatar
Ikki
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby Ikki » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for ruining my chances of getting it... :(

User avatar
Zarathustraspoke
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Length of essay required?

jasonc.
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 am

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby jasonc. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:Length of essay required?


doesnt mention length requirement

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:19 pm

I got this e-mail but I am Cuban, which is non-URM as far I as know. Can I still apply for it? I qualify otherwise.

User avatar
Ikki
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby Ikki » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:23 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I got this e-mail but I am Cuban, which is non-URM as far I as know. Can I still apply for it? I qualify otherwise.


MCCA wrote:About the Minority Corporate Counsel Association
The Minority Corporate Counsel Association(MCCA) was founded in 1997 to
advance the hiring, promotion and retention of diverse attorneys in law
departments and the law firms that serve them. MCCA furthers its mission by
publishing research on achieving diversity and best practices in the legal
profession, honoring innovative diversity programs with its Employer of
Choice and Thomas L. Sager awards, and assisting diverse law students through
the Lloyd M. Johnson, Jr. Scholarship Program. The scholarship program was
launched in 2005 and is named after the founder of MCCA.


I don't see anything about the scholarship being URM-only in that e-mail.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah but it's sponsored by the United Negro College Fund. I am not black.

User avatar
Zarathustraspoke
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:45 am

SupraVln180 wrote:Yeah but it's sponsored by the United Negro College Fund. I am not black.


I don't think there requirement for URM status is as narrow as most law schools?

(read: just a guess thought from what I've read)

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:04 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Yeah but it's sponsored by the United Negro College Fund. I am not black.



This made me LOL

equalityLaw10
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:06 am

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby equalityLaw10 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:50 pm

The deadline says May 31st at midnight. Does that mean tonight at 12am, or at the end of May 31st (ie, tomorrow at midnight)? Usually scholarships specify a date and 11:59:59 to remove ambiguity.

I know this sounds dumb, but on the scholarship page it says that it closes May 31. One my recommenders still hasn't submitted yet and I'm a little nervous.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby 071816 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:55 pm

I am Cuban and I also got an email about applying for this. I couldn't get the required number of LORs in time so I just decided not to apply.

equalityLaw10
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:06 am

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby equalityLaw10 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Has anyone heard anything since applying?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby JustE » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:29 pm

equalityLaw10 wrote:Has anyone heard anything since applying?


Not a word. Hopefully soon.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby JustE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:21 am

egirarde wrote:
equalityLaw10 wrote:Has anyone heard anything since applying?


Not a word. Hopefully soon.


Made it to the second round. Anyone else hear anything?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby JustE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:58 pm

egirarde wrote:
egirarde wrote:
equalityLaw10 wrote:Has anyone heard anything since applying?


Not a word. Hopefully soon.


Made it to the second round. Anyone else hear anything?


Got it. The award email was sent about an hour ago. Was really excited for a moment, but it's looking like I'll have to decline.... %#!+*

Hopefully someone on TLS will get the cash. Good luck!

miracle2011
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby miracle2011 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:02 pm

egirarde wrote:
egirarde wrote:
egirarde wrote:
equalityLaw10 wrote:Has anyone heard anything since applying?


Not a word. Hopefully soon.


Made it to the second round. Anyone else hear anything?


Got it. The award email was sent about an hour ago. Was really excited for a moment, but it's looking like I'll have to decline.... %#!+*

Hopefully someone on TLS will get the cash. Good luck!


Why do you have to decline? Are there strict acceptance stipulations?

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby shoeshine » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:04 pm

egirarde wrote:
egirarde wrote:
egirarde wrote:
equalityLaw10 wrote:Has anyone heard anything since applying?


Not a word. Hopefully soon.


Made it to the second round. Anyone else hear anything?


Got it. The award email was sent about an hour ago. Was really excited for a moment, but it's looking like I'll have to decline.... %#!+*

Hopefully someone on TLS will get the cash. Good luck!


why would you have to decline?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby JustE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Applied late, waitlisted at a few T-14s, will more than likely re-apply and re-take the LSAT.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby JustE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:19 pm

egirarde wrote:Applied late, waitlisted at a few T-14s, will more than likely re-apply and re-take the LSAT.


Can't defer this and get sick to my stomach every time I think about turning this down. Doesn't anyone know how competitive this is or if I'll have a shot next year?... :(

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby sparty99 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:49 am

egirarde wrote:
egirarde wrote:Applied late, waitlisted at a few T-14s, will more than likely re-apply and re-take the LSAT.


Can't defer this and get sick to my stomach every time I think about turning this down. Doesn't anyone know how competitive this is or if I'll have a shot next year?... :(


Reapply next year first round or take the December LSAT and apply the day the scores are released. Also apply to Top 35 schools so you can get some scholarship money. If you are getting waitlisted at Top 14 then you should be getting money at Top 25-35.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: The Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc Scholarship Opportunity

Postby JustE » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:41 pm

sparty99 wrote:
egirarde wrote:
egirarde wrote:Applied late, waitlisted at a few T-14s, will more than likely re-apply and re-take the LSAT.


Can't defer this and get sick to my stomach every time I think about turning this down. Doesn't anyone know how competitive this is or if I'll have a shot next year?... :(


Reapply next year first round or take the December LSAT and apply the day the scores are released. Also apply to Top 35 schools so you can get some scholarship money. If you are getting waitlisted at Top 14 then you should be getting money at Top 25-35.


That's the game plan. I did receive scholarship $$$ from two T-25 schools. The goal is $$$ from at least one of the T-14.

I really just hate to turn away cash....

E




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cbear2017 and 2 guests