What to do?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Sh@keNb@ke

What to do?

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Hey guys, planning on taking the June LSAT and am currently a Junior at a UC school. I'm in my 2nd quarter and am entertaining the thought of possibly taking next quarter off to do nothing but study for the LSAT. My GPA is a 3.85 so I'm not worried about boosting it or anything, but I feel like classes and studying for the LSAT would be somewhat hectic. Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about this? My idea is to possibly sit next quarter out and do nothing but study for the LSAT, take it in June and then during the summer take classes. My main problem with this is that I think law schools would view this negatively, but I'm not really sure. Thoughts?

P.S. I've been studying since around October/November of last year for the test and am currently in the mid-high 150's, but I really want to break the 160+ barrier by June.

SupraVln180

Re: What to do?

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm

What type of URM are you? With that GPA, anything above a 162 should get you the top 14 easy (that is if you're black, if you're any other type of URM, stratch that, you need a 164+ for a T14 lock). Obviously shoot for a 170, and don't take in June if you're not ready. I would suggest studying all summer and then bodying the LSAT in October. Enroll in a testmasters or powercourse class if financially possible, if not, buy the Powerscore Bibles and the Atlas RC Guide and a shitload of Preptests. You'll be fine. Good luck.

EDIT: Don't take a semester off, undergrad is easy, just study in between classes and take a 5-section Preptest 3 nights a week. It is very doable. That is if you must take the test in June. I would recommend October and studying all summer.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Study during the summer and take it in October?

I mean, why bother taking the June test? Why not do classes Spring Q, then study for the LSAT during the summer, and then take the October test?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Hey guys, planning on taking the June LSAT and am currently a Junior at a UC school. I'm in my 2nd quarter and am entertaining the thought of possibly taking next quarter off to do nothing but study for the LSAT. My GPA is a 3.85 so I'm not worried about boosting it or anything, but I feel like classes and studying for the LSAT would be somewhat hectic. Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about this? My idea is to possibly sit next quarter out and do nothing but study for the LSAT, take it in June and then during the summer take classes. My main problem with this is that I think law schools would view this negatively, but I'm not really sure. Thoughts?

P.S. I've been studying since around October/November of last year for the test and am currently in the mid-high 150's, but I really want to break the 160+ barrier by June.

Taking classes and studying for the LSAT is really not that hectic especially if all you have to do is school and the LSAT. You WILL need to have good time management, but it's nothing a planner can't solve. Unless you have a job, I wouldn't take off from school.

If I were you, I would just keep studying. If you are already in the high 150's and it's only early February, there is no reason to believe that an intellectually capable person like your self (evident in the 3.85), could not be PTing in the high 160's by June. Shit, even the 170's is possible within 4 months. It all depends on where you started, how much you are putting into it to it currently and how much more you are willing to put forth.

Just to give you some quick anecdotal evidence: I didn't start studying until late March with a diagnostic lower than where you are currently (embarrassingly low) and was PTing in the 160's by early June. (that was while in UG)

It is definitely possible. However, if you feel like you need more time when June rolls around ( I can't imagine you will) postpone until October. That is still plenty of time to get your materials in and have them still be considered early.

Also

Studying for the LSAT all Summer > making up an entire semester of UG over the summer ( Ugh--- I couldn't even imagine).

Edit: Sorry if my post is redundant...I see a couple people beat me to the punch!

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks for the responses. I'm an AA male btw and the reason that I started studying relatively early for this test is because I want to be able to have two shots at it in the case that I do not perform as well as I hoped on my first time. So, I've entertained the idea of taking my courseload much easier next quarter and then taking the LSAT in June, but I'm just worried that I still won't have enough time to get A's and balance studying. Any other opinions?

EDIT: Just read the post above and I think that taking it a little easy next quarter and studying for this test will be the way to go. Thanks for the help yall.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:15 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Thanks for the responses. I'm an AA male btw and the reason that I started studying relatively early for this test is because I want to be able to have two shots at it in the case that I do not perform as well as I hoped on my first time. So, I've entertained the idea of taking my courseload much easier next quarter and then taking the LSAT in June, but I'm just worried that I still won't have enough time to get A's and balance studying. Any other opinions?

Undergrad is easy man as long as you don't party (which I did my first 2 years), you can do well, that's evident with your 3.85. Just study for the LSAT in between classes, and 3 nights a week take a Preptest, review every night in between the days you take the test. It is really easy to get into a system, just cut down on going out and partying and you will be more than fine. Take a shot in June, if you are PTing around where you'd like. If you don't do as well as you hope, retake in October. This is the closely answer I can give you that coincides with what you are trying to accomplish. Do not take a semester off, I think you'd regret it.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Thanks for the responses. I'm an AA male btw and the reason that I started studying relatively early for this test is because I want to be able to have two shots at it in the case that I do not perform as well as I hoped on my first time. So, I've entertained the idea of taking my courseload much easier next quarter and then taking the LSAT in June, but I'm just worried that I still won't have enough time to get A's and balance studying. Any other opinions?

Undergrad is easy man as long as you don't party (which I did my first 2 years), you can do well, that's evident with your 3.85. Just study for the LSAT in between classes, and 3 nights a week take a Preptest, review every night in between the days you take the test. It is really easy to get into a system, just cut down on going out and partying and you will be more than fine. Take a shot in June, if you are PTing around where you'd like. If you don't do as well as you hope, retake in October. This is the closely answer I can give you that coincides with what you are trying to accomplish. Do not take a semester off, I think you'd regret it.

+ 1,000,000. As far as advice is concerned Op, this is about as good as it gets. Find, make and create a way. Good Luck!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”